Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
WillFreeZy

Trader Rating: (0)
WillFreeZy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Supercharger or Turbo?

S13, stock basically. KA. Which is better to go with? Turbo or Supercharger? I wanna daily it, but also have good power/reliability.

EDIT: let me edit this, cuz you guys are dbags. I have 4000 dollars I'll dedicate to upgrades. Let me be more clear on what I want. A decent amount of power. 300ish. Reliability is a must. It's my only car, I don't want it to break repeatedly. My question is: what is a better option for up front gains, reasonable cost, and decent reliability. If neither is a good option, list me some upgrades I might consider. Thank you.

Last edited by WillFreeZy; 01-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: dbags grilling me
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Stock............................................. .....msg Lngth

Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
just throw a 300 shot of NOS on.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Flux capacitor...
Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
just throw a 300 shot of NOS on.
I appreciate the seriousness in your answer. I literally just wanna learn more, and get some good options.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Flux capacitor...
Thanks for the great honest response. I've learned so much.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
XMcEvilson
Zilvia Member

XMcEvilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Assuming you're 16 or something, it's easier to find and put together turbo stuff, but you're going to blewed up your KA if you buy cheap stuff
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nitrous is what you need
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFreeZy View Post
I appreciate the seriousness in your answer. I literally just wanna learn more, and get some good options.
1: learn to use the search button
2: google is your friend
3: literally
4: we are not here to spoon feed you.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
1: learn to use the search button
2: google is your friend
3: literally
4: we are not here to spoon feed you.
1. I did search, couldn't find what I was looking for. You know, there's a million posts on this site.
2. I wanted to use this site, because I was under the impression that this website was for s chassis vehicles, and discussion about s chassis vehicles. I had imagined that there were some actually experienced s13 owners/workers here on zilvia.
3. Certainly
4. See #2
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
with a quick search "KA turbo Thread" "KA supercharger thread"

i found these in 2 mins you sure you searched????

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...A+turbo+thread

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...charger+thread
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
with a quick search "KA turbo Thread" "KA supercharger thread"

i found these in 2 mins you sure you searched????

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...A+turbo+thread

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...charger+thread
You read the post? I clearly asked for a comparison, that takes into account my situation and my needs. You don't want this forum to have people on it right?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
WillFreeZy

Thanks for all the help. I'll remember what a shitty site this is.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What the fuck is a reliable 240?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Best advice would be to leave it alone and drive it. It's a 20 something year old car, it's not going to be reliable under the added stress forced induction will generate.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Reliability is a must. It's my only car, I don't want it to break repeatedly.
Buy this:

LESS THAN $4000 Too!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The key to reliability is really keeping the hp figures low. A stage 1ish turbo kit will prob be your best bet. Bottom mount manifold, t28 or similar, internal wastegate, sr20 injector, etc. I like the idea of the SC'd ka but it will require fabrication and some of the parts can be hard to find.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
If you have $4000 to spend, I suggest buying a daily first. Once you get your daily reliable, then start dumping funds into the car.

We all know there is that time when you're working on the car, something goes wrong and you'll end up needing a part to purchase locally or wait until the part comes in.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdrifter View Post
The key to reliability is really keeping the hp figures low. A stage 1ish turbo kit will prob be your best bet. Bottom mount manifold, t28 or similar, internal wastegate, sr20 injector, etc. I like the idea of the SC'd ka but it will require fabrication and some of the parts can be hard to find.
I really appreciate you giving me a real and quality answer. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
to the original OP... youll have to understand that Zilvia has turned into a shit talking fest, especially toward n00bs who ask simplistic questions. dont get disheartened by the ramblings of a few people that choose to reply, but heed in what older members are trying to tell you. searching is a powerful tool, especially since Zilvia has existed since the early 2000s and will 9 out of 10 times contain the answer you need if you spend more than a few moments searching.

also, if you have $4000 to dedicate to upgrades, i would highly suggest a clean, low mileage (yes they still exist) SR swap with good compression. my first SR got me thru college and lasted well there after! if you MUST keep your KA *shudders*, piece together a QUALITY turbo kit (you can still find S15 turbos brand new for roughly $900) using higher quality parts. tuning on the KA is ESSENTIAL as well! you will need to find a decent stand alone for your KA... if you want to keep the KA reliable, dont over boost the crap out of it. 10psi on an S15 turbo will be about as far as youll want to go on a stock bottom end to ensure reliability.

in all honesty though, take that $4000 and buy a daily driver, then slowly save for building your S-Chassis over a period of time. the daily driver will ENSURE that you have a reliable car to drive around in while you tinker with your S13/S14.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
If you have $4000 to spend, I suggest buying a daily first. Once you get your daily reliable, then start dumping funds into the car.

We all know there is that time when you're working on the car, something goes wrong and you'll end up needing a part to purchase locally or wait until the part comes in.
When I said it was my only car. I meant it was MY only car. In the event something goes wrong, I have another vehicle available. I should have specified that.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Thanks for the great honest response. I've learned so much.
You're very welcome!

As suggested, please use the search function and read. Sure, there are a shit load of thread out there on all of this material, but it is a wealth of information.

There isn't a simple answer. There are many factors to consider, age and mileage of said vehicle would be the top of the list. What are your goals? You didn't supply much information, just a bland question of which route to take.

Now that you have supplied more detail, a basic KA-T is all you'll realistically be able to afford.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
If you really searched you would've found the same info I know now.

I have an S13 KA24DET in my kouki S14. (I blew the seals of the first motor within a month of installing it)

KA-T is the normal route. I would recommend a rebuild (at least pistons with new piston w/ new rings and maybe valve guides)

Supercharger is not a good option for the small motor because there's no way to cool the charge coming in, it's not that efficient and tuning options for it are slim.

People typically use Xterra superchargers.

This information is available EVERYWHERE if you look. Seriously Google it and draw your own comparisons. This is what the other members meant when they said they don't want to spoon feed you.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
WillFreeZy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
If you really searched you would've found the same info I know now.

I have an S13 KA24DET in my kouki S14. (I blew the seals of the first motor within a month of installing it)

KA-T is the normal route. I would recommend a rebuild (at least pistons with new piston w/ new rings and maybe valve guides)

Supercharger is not a good option for the small motor because there's no way to cool the charge coming in, it's not that efficient and tuning options for it are slim.

People typically use Xterra superchargers.

This information is available EVERYWHERE if you look. Seriously Google it and draw your own comparisons. This is what the other members meant when they said they don't want to spoon feed you.
I never asked for info about the two things. My whole inquiry was about which was a better option. Do you people really think that I didn't search and read things? I asked a simple question. Only one person gave me a real answer. So much angst and attitude came from my simple question. Extremely toxic environment. I never asked how to install one or the other. I never asked what one was. I never asked for specific models, and numbers, and methods. I asked which was more appropriate for me. How am I supposed to decide if one is better than the other, without having people give me their own experiences? That's what I wanted. People to tell me how it went for them, and which one would be better. I can google search something all day until I have a phd in details. That doesn't help me know which one is more applicable to me, and what possibly could work out better. It's crazy that I use this site for what it's for, question and discussion about an s chassis, and get told to go search somewhere else. That's real great.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
I never asked for info about the two things. My whole inquiry was about which was a better option. Do you people really think that I didn't search and read things? I asked a simple question. Only one person gave me a real answer. So much angst and attitude came from my simple question. Extremely toxic environment. I never asked how to install one or the other. I never asked what one was. I never asked for specific models, and numbers, and methods. I asked which was more appropriate for me. How am I supposed to decide if one is better than the other, without having people give me their own experiences? That's what I wanted. People to tell me how it went for them, and which one would be better. I can google search something all day until I have a phd in details. That doesn't help me know which one is more applicable to me, and what possibly could work out better. It's crazy that I use this site for what it's for, question and discussion about an s chassis, and get told to go search somewhere else. That's real great.

Go turbo. It's not worth your time to try to get your hands on the supercharger kit. I tried contacting the KA24DER guy and even told him I was ready to buy and there has been no response. This guys for many other people as well. Cost or R&D to duplicate his kit will leave you with nothing in the end to do any type of ECU tuning. Right now with things like the tomei kit being almost complete, it's just easier for you to do turbo. That way if something goes wrong, you have only one company to blame and try to get things warrantied.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
You can write wall of text all you want. Your question has been answered. Go turbo. With 4k you can rebuild your motor, get a decent manifold, turbo and tune with a z32 maf and some larger side feed injectors.

There you go.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
The way I would turbo a KA:

Rear mount oil-less cartridge, automatic trans

You can go for stock engine 250hp or 500+ if you build the engine/trans. Point would be... nobody would see it coming (pop the hood and nothing there, just stock, painted black intake that sort of wraps around and disappears)

"hey where does that intake pipe go?" -> "to a cold air intake filter". Kind of true, just leave out the turbo part. "ya dont see any oil line going to the oil pan do ya? It ain't a turbo..."
Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #28
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The way I would turbo a KA:

Rear mount oil-less cartridge, automatic trans

You can go for stock engine 250hp or 500+ if you build the engine/trans. Point would be... nobody would see it coming (pop the hood and nothing there, just stock, painted black intake that sort of wraps around and disappears)

"hey where does that intake pipe go?" -> "to a cold air intake filter". Kind of true, just leave out the turbo part. "ya dont see any oil line going to the oil pan do ya? It ain't a turbo..."
Dats sneaky lol

Old 01-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #29
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
When I said it was my only car. I meant it was MY only car. In the event something goes wrong, I have another vehicle available. I should have specified that.

When you provide all the details up front you have a higher probability of getting the info you need.

Dedicate $4k to a running car that already has the power so you don't have to be a burden on anyone else.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #30
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Hamburger or burrito?

I'm a dude, medium build. 165lbs. Which is better to go with? Hamburger or burrito? I wanna eat it, but also enjoy great taste.

another huge detail...how many fucking miles does your car/engine have? is it even in the right condition to be taking air that is at a higher pressure than the air that is being inhaled/exhaled through your mouth?
Closed Thread