Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Shipping thread

Anyone using any companies besides UPS/usps? I'm seriously suffering with delays or non receipts on multiple items via usps and UPS is taxing me cuz I have to use their materials to box.

No DHL local to me. Anybody using Fed Ex?

Thanks for info
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
USPS sucks.

What do you mean UPS is charging you for materials?

I shipped thousands of orders through UPS and I order my boxes through Uline.

FedEx sucks compared to UPS. UPS's tracking is much more accurate.

FedEx does have a leg up on UPS being as how they offer Saturday delivery for the free, when UPS charges for this.

Also, are you talking about domestic or international shipments?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Use their materials? I've shipped with both ups and FedEx for 7 years and never had to use anything from them.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Been shipping TONS with USPS. They are horrible but they are the cheapest. UPS has been second and the most reliable. I have some freight experience, pretty easy. No experience with DHL. I worked at FedEx, it tends to be more expensive.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #5
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I haven't had to buy materials at UPS either. I'd still like to post a pic
Old 01-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #6
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I always use fedex. Usps is such a hack shop, same with ups at least 60% of the time I have an issue when I use usps or ups...
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
DHL is on and off atleast in NY. For the most part the express service is pretty reliable i used them getting a seat from japan and shipped out friday and came tuesday night... but it also took them week and a half to get me my seat beacuse of a pilot strike.... which was stuck in ohio for 5 days..... it all depends on the situation.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
drfftn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
drfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I ship heavy items I use UPS for whatever reason they never weight the packages I drop off so I come out ahead. Fedex is my personal go to as they're cheaper than UPS. USPS is the cheapest, but their boxes are too small for the shit I need to ship..
drfftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
We ship fedex at work.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
for heavy and bulky items, I use Greyhound express. Yeah, it takes an few extra days to get to the destination, but I have shipped out dashes, full heads, bare blocks, etc. and paid maybe 75$ max for a heavy item.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
for heavy and bulky items, I use Greyhound express. Yeah, it takes an few extra days to get to the destination, but I have shipped out dashes, full heads, bare blocks, etc. and paid maybe 75$ max for a heavy item.
done this and works very well they suck at tracking but its very cheap ive sent out about 3 bride seats in this manner 50 bucks and usually within a week or so it will reach the destination just watch out for storage fees ive shipped to maine from new york it only took a day.....
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
I can honestly say there is no difference between either companies. I work at a convention hotel and ship/receive almost 100+ boxes a day on average. If you box comes fucked with either company 90% of the time the shipper didnt pack the box right.

As far as prices usps is the cheapest/slowest but fedex express and ups the prices are the same. Ground for both are also similar and same time. Less than 5 business days on average when it gets scanned. Its really a toss up on which you want to hold an account with to get specail discounts/deals if you do major shipping. If you need somehting next day air early AM I would go with fedex over ups. The way they organize the boxes for the trucks isnt as neat as fedex so if the item is super important and need it before 9am go with them.

Also both companies will charge an arm and a legl to use there materials and pack the box. We charge a weight fee at work anything under 5lbs is 5$ and anything over 50lbs is 27.50$, then for a box its about 10 bucks and bubble wrap is another couple. Probably half the price of going to a fedex/ups store but its a convince fee rather than a service for them to package your box so you got to pay extra $$$
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i use all of them...usps damaged a box and refused to honor claim despite several attempts at rebutting...fedex does cost more but customer service and claims tend to be better. UPS have not had issues with, once in a great while damaged boxes. DHL I would prefer to use as they used to be the lowest cost and took the greatest care of packages...I no joke brought a bumper to them without a box, used their tape and "wrapped" it...got to destination with no issues
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
I use USPS for smaller, lighter, non-critical items. Lowest cost, fast service. International is where USPS wins.

Our rates with Fedex are significantly better than with UPS. We have been with Fedex for 15+ years. Still, shipping costs have been rising.

Our recent issue was a lost package when dropped off at a local Fedex dropoff. $700 dollars, missing merchandise. No proof of dropoff. UPS will scan and give receipt, Fedex does not do this. Sucks, but need to be careful about dropping things off without proof. Next time just schedule a pickup.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfftn View Post
When I ship heavy items I use UPS for whatever reason they never weight the packages I drop off so I come out ahead.
Do you have a UPS account? Because UPS does check weight and size at the UPS facility.

The UPS Stores are not owned by UPS. So they don't really give a fuck.

Once UPS finds your weight or dimensions are over by even the slightest margin, they will penalize you. Depending on your contract, you might be able to work in some wiggle room.

I deal with UPS, USPS, and FedEx.

USPS I will only use for international, or domestic light/cheap packages. Getting money back from them is like pulling teeth.

UPS has the best tracking. When the package is delivered, the scanner they use has GPS, so tracking down where a package went is much simpler. As well, it seems they take better care in where they leave packages. Consistency is higher.

FedEx has currently been steadily beating my UPS rates, so I've been using them.

Biggest downside is FedEx Ground is locally operated. While FedEx Express and Air are actually run by FedEx. So while I'm completely happy with my Express coverage they offer, it seems FedEx Ground locations are run more shitty than others.

The drivers are paid by package, so they don't seem to care as much about where they leave the package. As long as it shows "delivered" it's good enough for them.

And being as how the FedEx Ground drivers do not use a GPS scanner, it's hard to find out where the package was left.

Many times I have people telling me the package says, "Delivered. Left on door step" when the package is nowhere to be found. Sometimes the package is located later on. But many times the package is straight up missing, or never even delivered.

I'm seriously considering switching back to UPS, despite the higher price it would cost me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
...UPS will scan and give receipt, Fedex does not do this. Sucks, but need to be careful about dropping things off without proof. Next time just schedule a pickup.
It's hindsight now, but FedEx does give a print out for receipt of proof.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #16
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Any recommendations for shipping to Japan?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
UPS sucks, we used to used them and dropped them. Packages would get lost, damaged or arrive opened and claims would always have a technicality as to why UPS wasn't going to pay for it.

FedEx i RARELY have any issues with, and whenever i do they are very good about taking care of it. claims take a bit longer but they come through.

USPS is only worth it if shipping small stuff. FedEx gets about 90% of my business. small parts go through USPS.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
FYI, DHL doesnt ship domestically. The only ship internationally, so if you order something from out of the country to the US or vice versa. They stopped doing domestic shipping a while ago.
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
rawgarage

rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Wow guys this info is amazing. Going to scroll up And read every word
Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #20
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
USPS first class has been great for me. I like to use the self service kiosks or preprint labels to try and eliminate extra fuckery.

Priority services have fucked me twice in the passed couple months (one package that was literally sent from 1hr away didn't make it)

Seems like FedEx pricing was slightly better than UPS for heavy (45lb package was one I specifically remember)

Packaging things yourself is the way to go
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
Teddy Bruckshot
Zilvia Member

Teddy Bruckshot is an unknown quantity at this point
FedEx does give drop off receipts. It says drop off in print when they scan the package or letter. It's better to buy your own brown boxes or packaging materials, just pay for shipping. Check Uline or any other available companies
Teddy Bruckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
In my experience it seems like FedEx is always a couple bucks less than UPS, but their location is farther away from me so I always go with UPS for most of the parts I sell. Yes they're much more expensive than USPS, but they have always taken care of me and gotten parts to the destination.

I did have them lose a set of Defi gauges I shipped to a member here once, but the buyer claimed they were stolen from his porch. Thankfully I insured them for the full amount and after going through the process with my UPS Store helping me, they cut me a check for the full insured amount. That made me a believer after that experience.

I never send anything worth more than $150 via USPS. They lost a shift knob I sold once and their process for trying to get insurance money was AWFUL. I came out empty handed and it took months. I used one of their flat rate boxes and taped it thoroughly so the fault was definitely their own. They're cheap and excellent for smaller items in the states though. And flat rate boxes are awesome for heavy stuff or shipping to Hawaii/Puerto Rico.

Greyhound is also amazing. It helps if you befriend someone at the station as those places can be pretty sketchy. Their infrastructure is awful but you can't beat paying $80 tops to ship huge items across the country safely.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
Just Alex

Just Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
For anything larger than the USPS medium flat rate box I use UPS, usually always comes out cheaper even without the discounts I get from them.

As for Fedex, I didn't like that they changed their policy to only use a brand new box from them. I had a good condition and still usable box and they still did not want to ship it because it was used once already.
Just Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #24
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
USPS has always been best for me for small to moderate sized items and cheapest, UPS for me has always been ridiculously expensive for some reason

Greyhound is cheapest for big relatively lightweight items (seats wheels bumpers etc.)

And for any freight shipping (engines, trans etc.) I use Fastenal, cheapest and you can drop it off yourself so you're not sitting around all day waiting around for a freight truck with a lift gate to show up
Old 02-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #25
rawgarage

Still talking notes out of here. Apparently my local ups has been price gouging by buying uline (boxes/tape/etc) and charging 400-500% ... but ppl are just paying it and keeping it moving...
Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 AM   #26
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
When I was selling a decent flow of parts in CA I always drove the extra distance to FedEx. If you go to one of their shipping centers and not one of the franchised branches (like you'd find next to a supermarket) you'd save a few bucks and a wait in line. Worth the drive in my case. I shipped sideskirts, an exhaust, and other big items with no issues at all.

When I ship stuff on base here in Japan they use USPS. Base counts as the US so it's cheap and reliable. I've shipped two sets of wheels, a pair, and a single wheel and everything arrives fast and cheap. I should start charging dudes for Japan shipping lol.

FedEx and USPS are the way to go.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:11 AM   #27
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgarage View Post
Still talking notes out of here. Apparently my local ups has been price gouging by buying uline (boxes/tape/etc) and charging 400-500% ... but ppl are just paying it and keeping it moving...
Walmart has a decent price on boxes up here in Ohio I can get a 10x10x6 for 59 cents or somewhere around there, bubble wrap is also cheap along with tape there too.
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #28
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM216S14 View Post
Walmart has a decent price on boxes up here in Ohio I can get a 10x10x6 for 59 cents or somewhere around there, bubble wrap is also cheap along with tape there too.

uhaul also has cheap large boxes and tape too, i always get shipping supplies from either their or walmart
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
For me, USPS is 100%
never lost a package and costs WAY less than FedEx or UPS.

UPS has lost two and I had to find them when THEY couldn't/wouldn't.
FedEx is out of my way and costs more than both.

And to top it off, UPS will take a package to their hub, LITERALLY be 1.432mi from the place to deliver to, and STILL transfer the package to USPS clear across town to deliver.
(yes, for that, I am talking of things I have received and not sent)

US Mail every time until they give me a reason not to.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #30
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
USPS for majority of things, UPS for heavier items. FedEx here and there.