Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
95s142jzvvti

Trader Rating: (0)
95s142jzvvti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's the best motor for me

Thanks

Last edited by 95s142jzvvti; 02-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
95s142jzvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Here ...,,..,,

You forgot those.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Jeez that was tough to read. Go k series and mount it as low and as far back as you can. /thread
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You really need more info in your post. What class do you plan to run in or do you want to just do normal lap days? I'm not sure what sanctioning bodies are in Canada but class rules are going to dictate most of your choices. A 2jz or ls1 swapped 240 is going to be placed into class where it wouldn't be competitive by most sanctioning bodies unless you throw a ton of money at it (read like 100k).

I used to do lap days fairly often a few years ago at Summit and VIR for work and honestly the best advice I can give you is to ditch the 240 if you want to be competitive (although there isn't much competition going on at a lap day). For what you would spend you would be better off buying an automatic c5 or c6 vette or tipronic 996 to run around in. Both are much better platforms and can hang very well with most other cars that you will encounter out of the box. Both would also be far more reliable as well. If your strapped for cash look for an automatic e36 m3 as clean automatics can be had for around 5k.

If you decide to ignore me and are dead set on a 240 I would go the LS route for your purposes because there is more aftermarket support for the LS automatic transmission. You can build a 4l80e (even a 4l60) to be pretty much bombproof and shift very well.

Also if you've never been out on a track before don't skip over the fact that a stock 240 with minor suspension work can be a total blast.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
YOu may want to discus this with Rob Parsons (IG @chairslayer) He may be able to give you much more input since he too has hand operated controls on his S13. He will know the exact troubles you may run into with your build.
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
You really need more info in your post. What class do you plan to run in or do you want to just do normal lap days? I'm not sure what sanctioning bodies are in Canada but class rules are going to dictate most of your choices. A 2jz or ls1 swapped 240 is going to be placed into class where it wouldn't be competitive by most sanctioning bodies unless you throw a ton of money at it (read like 100k).

I used to do lap days fairly often a few years ago at Summit and VIR for work and honestly the best advice I can give you is to ditch the 240 if you want to be competitive (although there isn't much competition going on at a lap day). For what you would spend you would be better off buying an automatic c5 or c6 vette or tipronic 996 to run around in. Both are much better platforms and can hang very well with most other cars that you will encounter out of the box. Both would also be far more reliable as well. If your strapped for cash look for an automatic e36 m3 as clean automatics can be had for around 5k.

If you decide to ignore me and are dead set on a 240 I would go the LS route for your purposes because there is more aftermarket support for the LS automatic transmission. You can build a 4l80e (even a 4l60) to be pretty much bombproof and shift very well.

Also if you've never been out on a track before don't skip over the fact that a stock 240 with minor suspension work can be a total blast.
No no ive been on track for 8 years just not after swapping my 2j I ran a fully built KA motor but grew very tired of the 210 hrp I am set on the 240 cause I've seen what it can do and with my KA I was keeping up to sti's in the corners on open lapping time I run rwd street with the motor upgrade I will be bumped up to super street if not unlimited and my buddy Vince with his s14 and his ls2 kills it he's running grid life full season this year cause he's been owning Cscs for years now and won a few gridlife events as well as an event at Watkins glen and few other serious tracks against serious cars in the states and he has a vette on his team and he is quite slower than the 240 the s14 chassis is an amazing race platform
Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstyle View Post
YOu may want to discus this with Rob Parsons (IG @chairslayer) He may be able to give you much more input since he too has hand operated controls on his S13. He will know the exact troubles you may run into with your build.
Ya lol you would think so being in a chair myself for 13 years now and rob been 3 years now from his dirt bike accident I've talked with him many times about his accident and then more about his car and how he built it and what notbht no he isn't willing to help at all he sounds and takes like he is with his chairslayer foundation shit and saying he built the car to help people get behind the wheel again this and that I asked him to met me at an event so we can met in person and drive each other's car all to no response lol and then when I asked him about helping me with my new build I showed pics of my burnt up car and told him how I'm doing it all over again and migggt consider going back to La but would like some info and shit on his shifting system and avian fucking nothing guy makes it seem like he's done this all on his own and its a bunch of bs I know I'm in his position and have been a lot longer there's only so much we can do when it comes to building a car until you need help not to mention the money part of it the travelling to California and back he's had sunstancial sponsor and family money to back him but says to me anyway that he worked for it all not sure what his dea is but he isn't willing to help guys like me maybe if it was televised and gave him exposure than he would but ? 😕
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Please use punctuation.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
travon47
Leaky Injector

travon47 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think for a track car a aluminum block ls would be your best bet, good transmission options and can tune them on hp tuners which is cheap. Not to mention its a couple hundred pounds off the front end of the car vs a 2jz swapped car. Also working on a ls engine is much easier and should take a lot of head ache out especially for someone that is disabled. Sorry to hear about your car, I could not imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. If you have any questions about the ls swap you can pm me.
travon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

hotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Here ...,,..,,

You forgot those.
I died laughing

This thread...
Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

Trader Rating: (113)
Sonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 113 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
If you want a manual trans, might be cool to look at - http://www.guidosimplexusa.com/Clutches

Didn't realize something like this existed, pretty cool.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Buy a bmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
alwaysnboost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
alwaysnboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Travon47's comment is very accurate. I your case, I would strongly recommend going aluminum LS for the following reasons vs 2JZ.

Weight savings (175+)
Cost of repairs
Heat
All motor benefits vs Turbo.
alwaysnboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
95s142jzvvti

But the Toyota motors are bullet proof from the reading I've been doing I get the weight savings and less heat for sure reasons I'm leaning toward the jz's is the power they can put out I'm looking to run 4-450 which I can do easily with both jz's and I can sail it up or down with boost controller right then when I take it out on the street to go break some hearts I can sail it right up and have some fun then on track back down to the 400 I need for racing with an LS I'm at 350 and that's it unless I put a blower kit on it not to mention a 2j I can get for 1500$ and I know it has 50,000kms or less an ls unless I buy a crate motor I don't really know what I'm getting right ? What do you think ?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
it hurts to read what your writing.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #16
95s142jzvvti

And why is that exactly ?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95s142jzvvti View Post
And why is that exactly ?
...brother there have been multiple dudes saying it: use some fucking periods and commas lol. For fuck's sake...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #18
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
yea the punctuation makes your text hard to read. its just a courtesy
Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Lack of punctuation makes your posts hard to read. It turns it into one long sentence, which becomes a bit confusing...

As for your question, with your situation I would go with the LS swap hands down.

Straight 6's are a tight fit in an s-chasis engine bay, which often leads to overheating issues. Also, I wouldn't imagine there is much aftermarket support for the japanese auto trannies.

The LS fits with plenty of room in front, no cooling issues. It's 100000000% reliable. Everything you could ever want for it is easy to get and comparably cheap. The main benefit in your case would be the support for the auto trans. GM auto trannies have a ton of aftermarket support and could likely be modified to be quite a bit better than a stock one.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Lack of punctuation makes your posts hard to read. It turns it into one long sentence, which becomes a bit confusing...

As for your question, with your situation I would go with the LS swap hands down.

Straight 6's are a tight fit in an s-chasis engine bay, which often leads to overheating issues. Also, I wouldn't imagine there is much aftermarket support for the japanese auto trannies.

The LS fits with plenty of room in front, no cooling issues. It's 100000000% reliable. Everything you could ever want for it is easy to get and comparably cheap. The main benefit in your case would be the support for the auto trans. GM auto trannies have a ton of aftermarket support and could likely be modified to be quite a bit better than a stock one.
Sorry didn't realize there were a bunch of English teachers on here I assumed it would be fine to read
Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #21
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Sorry didn't realize there were a bunch of English teachers on here I assumed it would be fine to read
With that attitude...

Good luck. Sucks that the Chairslayer guy isn't more helpful.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #22
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Go ls, aluminum block if you're worried about weight. Even with the ls based truck motors, you can throw an intake, heads, a cam, a good tune, and you'll be in the 400 hp range easy. And you can build a 4l80 to take whatever abuse you throw at it.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #23
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
With that attitude...

Good luck. Sucks that the Chairslayer guy isn't more helpful.
Sorry what I shoulda said was this was my first thread I've put up so I didn't know any better fellas
Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #24
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Go ls, aluminum block if you're worried about weight. Even with the ls based truck motors, you can throw an intake, heads, a cam, a good tune, and you'll be in the 400 hp range easy. And you can build a 4l80 to take whatever abuse you throw at it.
Do you have any race experience with either NA or turbo motors ?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #25
Malik
Nissanaholic!

I say an LS motor is a good bet. And you can still use the auto trans.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #26
95s142jzvvti

I had the auto trans on the car that burnt hooked up as well the one that come with the aristo motor comes with an auto trans auto it'll hold 600 I had a TCM linked into the trans though to run it better
Old 02-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #27
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Why would you pick out my post to get all pissy about? I'm trying to be constructive and offer a valid opinion on your question. It's not our fault you're too fucking lazy to push the damn buttons on the keyboard to punctuate your writing. You come across like a lazy fuckboi, not to mention fucking stupid. The ability to articulate your statements clearly when communicating online is paramount to getting the constructive responses you're looking for. If you're too lazy to type a fucking paragraph, why in the hell would anyone want to take their time to try and help? Lazy posts lead to flaming...

racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #28
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #29
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Do you have any race experience with either NA or turbo motors ?
Nope. Never touched a turbo motor either. Used to hang with the muscle car crowd. The ls is the new Chevy 350. They're in everything for a reason. Plenty of parts, make great power with just bolt ons, and the stock gm ecus are very tuner friendly.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #30
95s142jzvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Nope. Never touched a turbo motor either. Used to hang with the muscle car crowd. The ls is the new Chevy 350. They're in everything for a reason. Plenty of parts, make great power with just bolt ons, and the stock gm ecus are very tuner friendly.
Ya true that I like different but I don't know how much reliability I wanna lose to be different know what I mean ?