Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-10-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
Trixzim

Trader Rating: (0)
Trixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Trixzim
s13 Ka24e transmission Refresh

How hard is it to refresh a Ka24e transmission yourself and should I use a kit like this?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=8676&jsn=849

or

Is it better just to take it somewhere?
Trixzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Honestly depends what's wrong with it and why you're rebuilding. Just like an engine rebuild.

A pro transmission builder will do stuff like check all the metal for microscopic fractures, deburr all the gears, etc. and give you back a transmission that's better than new.

But you can also just dive in and slap in new synchros in your home garage.

I'm sure you've already youtubed it, but for an example of a pro rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWI7kz5hCo

vs. a home rebuild. Note that he still used a press! I don't think you can do it without a press. Also note that both he and the pro ended up having to order parts from the UAE, so it's not a weekend job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opJ7trkonYU

If you're good at 3d shape puzzles a manual transmission is straightforward.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
Trixzim

Trixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enoughTrixzim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Honestly depends what's wrong with it and why you're rebuilding. Just like an engine rebuild.

A pro transmission builder will do stuff like check all the metal for microscopic fractures, deburr all the gears, etc. and give you back a transmission that's better than new.

But you can also just dive in and slap in new synchros in your home garage.

I'm sure you've already youtubed it, but for an example of a pro rebuild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWI7kz5hCo

vs. a home rebuild. Note that he still used a press! I don't think you can do it without a press. Also note that both he and the pro ended up having to order parts from the UAE, so it's not a weekend job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opJ7trkonYU

If you're good at 3d shape puzzles a manual transmission is straightforward.
Transmission was making noise in neutral when the clutch wasn't in. So I pulled it thinking it was the throw out bearing or pilot bearing but its not. also, when I drained the transmission there was a little metal color to the fluid. So I was thinking it has to be a bearing on one of the shafts.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixzim View Post
Transmission was making noise in neutral when the clutch wasn't in. So I pulled it thinking it was the throw out bearing or pilot bearing but its not. also, when I drained the transmission there was a little metal color to the fluid. So I was thinking it has to be a bearing on one of the shafts.
Noise when clutch pressed and in gear = Bad pilot bearing
Noise when clutch pressed not in gear = Bad throw out bearing
Noise when clutch is released and in neutral = Bad trans input bearing
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:33 PM   #5
Trixzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Noise when clutch pressed and in gear = Bad pilot bearing
Noise when clutch pressed not in gear = Bad throw out bearing
Noise when clutch is released and in neutral = Bad trans input bearing
Thank you for this info.

It seems like a lot of trans companies want a lot for labor and that's not including parts.