Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
chingon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
chingon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where are you buying ebay/ssa s13 dual <200$ cat-backs now a days?

I need one but I only see s14's on ebay, some DNAmotoring one I'd rather not try & one @ xs-power website
chingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
ebay still the place for these cheap things.

if you don't see it on ebay it just means no one wants to bother selling it.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
SSA? SS Autochome? Havent heard that brand in years now.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:38 AM   #4
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
https://www.kamispeed.com/products/h...sketL9BAT3Datc

Single muffler HKS system for 320?
Old 07-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
damn....I was ignoring JDM tyte because I thought they were just coated mild (unless I went expensive). Looks like it's coated stainless (I'm in the rust belt is why I'm considering all stainless. Single muffler may be too loud tho (ls1 here). The ssa ones have a resonator.

looks like that store borrowed the description from another system. This one lists is as mild:

https://www.importtuned.com/14446-hk...st-system.html
gah, maybe not:

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produ...ffler/db/21804
Old 07-24-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
you should search harder on ebay.

found this cheap exhaust within 10 seconds of looking for "s13 exhaust":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234633331349

plenty to choose from sub-$300.

[email protected]
Old 07-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
you should search harder on ebay.

found this cheap exhaust within 10 seconds of looking for "s13 exhaust":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234633331349

plenty to choose from sub-$300.
I saw that one, basically the DNA motoring clone. Unlike the s14 and prior s13 models however, these are just welded cans w/what in my experience is very thin sheet metal. The s14 have die pressed cans and lip rolled resonator. I think I found one elsewhere w/pressed cans and resonator. Basically this is the "better" model IMO:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251...apt=4itemAdapt
Old 07-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #8
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm having a hard time following how you are looking for a new exhaust for less than $200 then proceeding to critique the quality it offers.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I'm having a hard time following how you are looking for a new exhaust for less than $200 then proceeding to critique the quality it offers.
momma raised no fool.

Mostly cuz I've seen giant differences in build and fitment at the same price point for other projects.

I ordered this one, we'll see what arrives (if same as in pic):

https://eccppautoparts.com/dual-3-5-...ssan-1pcs.html

SSA still advertises it on their website but they refunded my order.

FWIW: I'm still unsure about the HKS alloy claims based on pics of used catbacks (piping looking pretty rusty).
Old 07-25-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Abeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingon View Post
FWIW: I'm still unsure about the HKS alloy claims based on pics of used catbacks (piping looking pretty rusty).
The HKS is 409 stainless, which isn't as corrosion resistant than 304 but way way better than aluminized mild steel. 409 stainless will get a surface tarnish if exposed to salt, but will hold up to winters. A s13 will rot in the rust belt before the HKS will.

Check out amazon for cheapo exhausts too. I snagged a $200 CAD 304 stainless catback a few years back before going to the HKS.
Abeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #11
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
The HKS is 409 stainless, which isn't as corrosion resistant than 304 but way way better than aluminized mild steel. 409 stainless will get a surface tarnish if exposed to salt, but will hold up to winters. A s13 will rot in the rust belt before the HKS will.

Check out amazon for cheapo exhausts too. I snagged a $200 CAD 304 stainless catback a few years back before going to the HKS.
well, that's what's a bit fuzzy. Some sites say tip, some say muffler, some say muffler different than piping, some even say mild for piping. I looked a few used "sport" ones and rust was fairly noticeable. I might regret it since I'm a bit slammed and these ebay ones hang a bit low compared to single HKS.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23463333134...3ABFBM8Izc9MZg

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #13
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
If you want something known good, you buy name brand and spend the money. Of course. But no harm in asking around to help separate the wheat from the chaff. Some cheap parts punch above their weight. Always been that way. The same "if you want companies to make parts you have to support them by buying them" adage works for the eBay grade stuff, too, particularly if you find something that's actually well made.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #14
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
If you want something known good, you buy name brand and spend the money. Of course. But no harm in asking around to help separate the wheat from the chaff. Some cheap parts punch above their weight. Always been that way. The same "if you want companies to make parts you have to support them by buying them" adage works for the eBay grade stuff, too, particularly if you find something that's actually well made.
except even cheap brands change factories and suppliers all the time.

most people don't even realize that the vast majority of aftermarket parts suppliers are just brands using various contract factories that suit their needs.

[email protected]
Old 07-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #15
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
well, that's what's a bit fuzzy. Some sites say tip, some say muffler, some say muffler different than piping, some even say mild for piping. I looked a few used "sport" ones and rust was fairly noticeable. I might regret it since I'm a bit slammed and these ebay ones hang a bit low compared to single HKS.
HKS themselves say it's 409.

Just checked mine; tip and muffler body is 304, rest is 409.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Quote:
damn....I was ignoring JDM tyte because I thought they were just coated mild (unless I went expensive). Looks like it's coated stainless (I'm in the rust belt is why I'm considering all stainless. Single muffler may be too loud tho (ls1 here). The ssa ones have a resonator.

looks like that store borrowed the description from another system. This one lists is as mild:

https://www.importtuned.com/14446-hk...st-system.html
gah, maybe not:

HKS didn't make a name for themselves being "tyte", they did it through making consistent, high quality parts that have repeatable results and quality. I've seen and heard those cheaper SS exhausts, and I doubt that "resonator" you see in the photos actually does anything, and if it does, it won't do it for long.

Without getting into it too much, just keep saving your pennies, you'll be glad you did when you get a quality exhaust.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #17
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
HKS didn't make a name for themselves being "tyte", they did it through making consistent, high quality parts that have repeatable results and quality. I've seen and heard those cheaper SS exhausts, and I doubt that "resonator" you see in the photos actually does anything, and if it does, it won't do it for long.

Without getting into it too much, just keep saving your pennies, you'll be glad you did when you get a quality exhaust.
I ran one of these ssa clones for years w/o issue is basically why I'm asking for a repeat. The HKS fitment looks fairly decent but again corrosion is a problem and just looking through a few "409 exhaust rust" google images I'm not entirely sold. I'll report on this ccp tyte, hopefully they've improved on fitment.

I hear you on the resonator, I bought an ebay special for a different platform, resonator was just a pipe welded on top of a pipe and mufflers I'm fairly certain were empty cans (DNAmotoring brand) that rung like bells. I replaced it w/another one at same price point and fitment was night and day, mufflers were thick steel and dead silent when you smacked them, no resonator but way quieter than the one it replaced.

Basically what homeboy below said. I look at this like HF/chicom tools, some losers, some jewels in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Old 07-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #18
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
HKS themselves say it's 409.

Just checked mine; tip and muffler body is 304, rest is 409.
I couldn't find it on their website. You got a link? I think I posted here some spec sheet that said S3 (which I think is basically 409), but unlike other models, they did not differentiate between piping and muffler body.

It's good to have a decent option if this other one ends up scrapped.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #19
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
The HKS fitment looks fairly decent but again corrosion is a problem and just looking through a few "409 exhaust rust" google images I'm not entirely sold.
See below.

Quote:
A s13 will rot in the rust belt before the HKS will.
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would drive an S-chassis in a season where 409 SS rusting is a concern, in this day and age.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:38 AM   #20
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I couldn't find it on their website. You got a link? I think I posted here some spec sheet that said S3 (which I think is basically 409), but unlike other models, they did not differentiate between piping and muffler body.

It's good to have a decent option if this other one ends up scrapped.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #21
chingon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
momma raised no fool.

Mostly cuz I've seen giant differences in build and fitment at the same price point for other projects.

I ordered this one, we'll see what arrives (if same as in pic):

https://eccppautoparts.com/dual-3-5-...ssan-1pcs.html

SSA still advertises it on their website but they refunded my order.

OK, so just got this in. I got a 15$ coupon on top of the then 180$ price point. The seller has now dropped the price to 167$ shipped. SAVE15 is the coupon I tried to use but it didn't work so had to hit them by email and they issued store credit.

The bad:
-box was thin and banged up
-the cans aren't die pressed as I had expected but rather welded and ground/polished round.
-One of the gasket got bent in shipping (no biggie, but still)
-The duals seem a bit larger than I remembered but won't know until I fit it.
-Resonator had some minor fabrication pinches & the butt joint closing the can is not flat so juts out a tiny bit. Likely due to metal gauge.
-muffler inner perforated piping seems to be held by 3 or so tack welds, don't know if this is standard procedure and how well they hold over time (could eventually corrode/break/rattle over time I suppose).
-in the past, the hangers have just been chrome plated steel instead of stainless and I suspect this is no different.

The good:
-Fairly well built 7.5/10
-Thick stainless on the resonator and mufflers should prevent noisy road debris from pinging and dampen higher frequencies
-Resonator and mufflers aren't just for show (pipe welded on top of pipe), there's actually perforated piping in there & I suspect wool/fiber packing
-purchase was fairly seamless and shipping fairly quick

fitment/longevity: tbd
Old 08-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #22
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I think with the hassle it took you to even find this + the fact that you are listing more bad things about it than good is telling me you were better off going to an exhaust shop and getting one made or even springing more $$$ for something quality.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I miss when exhaust was a piece of pipe your friend found on the floor of his shop
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:35 AM   #24
burnsauto
Post Whore!

That's still there, they just sound like poop.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:08 PM   #25
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
idk my turbo with it's free floor shop pipe sounds pretty good to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRbfNPnHaI&t=1470s
Old 08-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #26
burnsauto
Post Whore!

It's better than most, I'm just driving behind too many kids with shit straight-pipe exhausts that I can't stand it anymore.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Well I cheated I have two mufflers on mine. And I spray fuel post EVC so nothing slips out the exhaust to smell up the car.

I have something for this.... hmmm what was it
Oh yeah I assumed somebody was going to comment about turbo is a muffler but nobody take the bait so. Here it is anyways

Stock 240sx exhaust good to 320rwhp!! I wouldn't change it. Long live OEM systems ;D
Old 08-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #28
burnsauto
Post Whore!

I don't think I've ever seen an OEM system on an s13. Even one's that were stock when I got them had welded together patches from years of rust. I kept it, but not much was OEM by the time I got it.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #29
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
I've still got mine. I took it off because two hangers broke (the one on the resonator and the one right before the muffler) but the pipes and mufflers are intact. It's garage wall art because I can't bear to part with it.

Both of the S13s I owned 'back in the day' had original exhausts, but that was... back in the day.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #30
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen an OEM system on an s13. Even one's that were stock when I got them had welded together patches from years of rust. I kept it, but not much was OEM by the time I got it.
just have to have patience.

left is the one off my 93000 km S13 from Canada, right is from a guy that paid my $300 for a stock exhaust bounty on Facebook in late 2020:

[email protected]