Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
bored smog tech here

ask me questions if you need to know something. its dead at my work, and im getting paid to browse zilvia.
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
can you still get the Olympic plates in CA?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Can you get me a safety inspection sticker for VA?

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
can you still get the Olympic plates in CA?
i'm not sure. thats a dmv issue. i havent seen anyone with those though.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240trainee View Post
Can you get me a safety inspection sticker for VA?
i just smog cars, i dont do safety inspections.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

and im in california, btw.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Suk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Did you hear about the other Smog shop in Saugus that was raided by the FBI with guns drawn because of a few "hook up" smogs? Pretty crazy and over dramatic I think.
Suk02Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240trainee View Post
Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm
wasnt sure. VA has no emissions program whatsoever?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suk02Si View Post
Did you hear about the other Smog shop in Saugus that was raided by the FBI with guns drawn because of a few "hook up" smogs? Pretty crazy and over dramatic I think.
lol, nah. i heard about one on bouquet canyon road that was caught for clean piping. cali takes smog as "serious business" and will throw a 10g fine on the technician, and a 10g fine at the shop if caught clean piping. the guy who got busted just bought a new machine, and as far as i know, is still doin it.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

Suk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfection
haha, crazy.

Where in SCV is your shop?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suk02Si View Post
haha, crazy.

Where in SCV is your shop?
the shop is called "simply smog" its by that big ass chevron car wash/pacc auto. on the corner of cinema and valencia blvd
Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
If i can get my car to run clean without the PAIR valve POS. can it get it certified? i did a SOHC to DOHC swap.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

ahh nice, I hate that intersection, lol. I work up in SCV on the weekends.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
blitzsti22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
blitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blitzsti22
i got a quick question i need to smog my car but it has engine light on because it used to be auto now its 5 speed stock ka 95 would they let me smog it??

Last edited by blitzsti22; 06-18-2008 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: .
blitzsti22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsparc View Post
If i can get my car to run clean without the PAIR valve POS. can it get it certified? i did a SOHC to DOHC swap.
the 240's had the pulse air injection up till 94. the only check for that emissions system, dyno test or 2 speed idle, is a visual on the component itself, and checking the vacuum lines. depending on whether the technician notices if it is there or not, he can fail it accordingly. TECHNICALLY, he is supposed to fail it. but if it runs through the tailpipe emissions test, he might either overlook it or just pass it so he doesnt have to retest it again.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzsti22 View Post
i got a quick question i need to smog my car but it has engine light on because it used to be auto now its 5 speed stock ka 95 would they let me smog it??
technically, your supposed to fail any car with the check engine light on. but since its not OBD II (96' and newer cars) we dont have to plug the smog machine into the diagnostic connector. if it passes the tailpipe emissions test, i would try taking out the bulb, since there is no way to check if the bulb burned out without pulling the dash, and the smog tech wouldnt see that the MIL is commanded on. how many miles can you go after disconnecting the battery without the light turning on?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
blitzsti22
Zilvia Addict

blitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enough
i dont know lol i just got my car about 2 weeks ago and need to smog it its a 1995 240 guess i need to take the light bulb out
Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
i dont know lol i just got my car about 2 weeks ago and need to smog it its a 1995 240 guess i need to take the light bulb out
try disconnecting the battery to turn the light out, and see how long it takes for it to come back on. if it doesnt come on for a long time, disconnect it again then try and get it tested immediately. hopefully the light wont come on during the test. the monitors and drive cycles on the 95-97 nissans usually take a long time to run, so i think you might have a good chance of the check engine light not coming on for a while after disconnecting the battery.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Don't take the bulb out. Just wire the oil pressure light to the check engine light.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

either way, as long as the light is lit, you get the failhammer 99% of the time.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
I know a dude that use to work at the state ref got fired for giving smog advice online and it wasn't even real advice it was like. You have to go to a ref to get so and so tested if you want to have it BAR'd
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #23
sldbyuramg
Zilvia Member

sldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant future
How come someone can get a GTS-T registered and i cant put an RB20DET into my 240? i just pay for fake smog anyway so it doesn't matter but ive seen a few skylines cruisin around legally registered...
sldbyuramg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
sc ka24e
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
sc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my s14 barley fails at 15mph but passes nice on 25.. its nox are high.. ive repaced all kinds of stuff (new cat) egr lines etc..... can u tell me a secret to pass... i know u guys dissconnect things to help it out lol....

OOps n/M just saw vvti s post.... lol.. ill figure it out... hope u get some work in.. its tuff all over the country.. especially CA........
sc ka24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #25
WIKID S4TEEN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
WIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her selfWIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Is this cuz u didn't swap to a 5spd ECU?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #26
blitzsti22
Zilvia Addict

not sure if the ecu was changed into a 5 spd how can i tell
Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #27
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvtisupra View Post
I know a dude that use to work at the state ref got fired for giving smog advice online and it wasn't even real advice it was like. You have to go to a ref to get so and so tested if you want to have it BAR'd

working for the state ref is "serious business." thats a state run joint, not a mom and pop store like my shop. but damn, just for giving ppl advice?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldbyuramg View Post
How come someone can get a GTS-T registered and i cant put an RB20DET into my 240? i just pay for fake smog anyway so it doesn't matter but ive seen a few skylines cruisin around legally registered...
theres certain "rules" with engine changes. for gray market vehicles (foreign vehicles, shit like that) it must have all emissions components on it, and get inspected at a BAR referree. but for a domestically sold vehicle, you can only have an engine that was sold stock, in that car, in that year, in california. you cant put "heavy duty" engines in "light duty passenger vehicles". heres all the rules.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #29
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc ka24e View Post
my s14 barley fails at 15mph but passes nice on 25.. its nox are high.. ive repaced all kinds of stuff (new cat) egr lines etc..... can u tell me a secret to pass... i know u guys dissconnect things to help it out lol....

OOps n/M just saw vvti s post.... lol.. ill figure it out... hope u get some work in.. its tuff all over the country.. especially CA........
so you replaced the egr and cat and its still failing? double check the timing (too for advanced creates NOx.) NOx is also an indicator of lean fuel/air ratio and/or high cylinder temperature. so if it gets serious, check for stuck closed or clogged injectors, carbon deposits, and small gnomes that run around inside the exhaust.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
Don't take the bulb out. Just wire the oil pressure light to the check engine light.
Thats fine, but don't sell the car like that! My g/f bought an Integra and the previous owner did that but didn't tell me. I was having a hell of a time trying to pull codes and trying to figure out what was wrong with that damn car.