Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #91
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
does she have heinous 3" exhaust? (the car) is the backpressure valve working correctly? is the pulse air hooked up? what test is it failing for?
2.5" exhaust.
Wtf is a "backpressure valve"? Do you mean EGR?
Pulse air is hooked up, not that it would make any difference. The only function of the the pulse air valve is to pre-heat the cat so the car will run "cleaner" before the engine is fully warmed. Since the tests were all done while the car was hot, the PAIR valve wouldn't have made a shit of a difference.

Its failing a regular test-only... 30 mph test, iirc.

Are you sure you're really a smog tech? lol
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #92
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
2.5" exhaust.
Wtf is a "backpressure valve"? Do you mean EGR?
Pulse air is hooked up, not that it would make any difference. The only function of the the pulse air valve is to pre-heat the cat so the car will run "cleaner" before the engine is fully warmed. Since the tests were all done while the car was hot, the PAIR valve wouldn't have made a shit of a difference.

Its failing a regular test-only... 30 mph test, iirc.

Are you sure you're really a smog tech? lol
actually
the purpose of the pair valve is to act as an afterburner during idle and continue the burn of exhaust gasses after they leave the cylinder. the backpressure valve is connected to the exhaust and controls the vacuum going to the egr. if the exhaust is a larger diameter, there wont be enough backpressure going to the valve. since the valve doesnt have sufficient backpressure, it doesnt work correctly, therefore, the egr valve doesnt work correctly.
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #93
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by flclsteve View Post
Mr smog tech.
I have a 97 honda civic witch just got approved for assistance with smog repair fees it failed for high Nox during the 15 mile per hour run
any idea what it might be its a bone stock car
what motor?
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #94
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackrms13
I know this is a old thread but I just failed my smog

91 S13(about 115k) with a stock 95 OBD-I KA(68k), I believe it is a non-cali engine

New Plugs/Wires (about year ago)
New O2 Sensor (2-3 weeks ago, but the tech said "something is wrong with it b/c its running very rich)
2.5inch catback

NO reading is like 7xx max right?
I got like 3000+ reading...

i warmed up my car pretty well before doing the smog(drove from riverside to LA, about 1 hour)

I know the timing is off for sure(well after the test....) need to find a timing light first
gas cap failed(bought a new one right afterwards)

from reading this thread, i assume its time for a new cat?

thanks to whoever can help
Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #95
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
^^ Yup sounds right your cat. I've the sniffer with my timing being at 10...
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #96
blackrms13
Post Whore!

blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
which pin should i set it to?
from this pic i saw, the one on the far right, correct?
when i set the timing, should i look at from the top, or from more like a 45 degree angle
Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #97
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Whats the difference between Test Only and normal Smog shops?

Is test only for 'older' cars?
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #98
blackrms13
Post Whore!

from my research, I think test-only place is selected for the more-likely-to-be-gross-polluter cars and such places only do test, no repair
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #99
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
I think that too, but I wanted confirmation. More Researching!
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #100
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrms13 View Post
which pin should i set it to?
from this pic i saw, the one on the far right, correct?
when i set the timing, should i look at from the top, or from more like a 45 degree angle
It should be 20 TDC

Timing
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #101
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
It should be 20 TDC

Timing
thx I have figured out the timing...at least i think i did

i continued my problems here

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/223732-smog-problems.html
Old 11-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #102
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrms13 View Post
I know this is a old thread but I just failed my smog

91 S13(about 115k) with a stock 95 OBD-I KA(68k), I believe it is a non-cali engine

New Plugs/Wires (about year ago)
New O2 Sensor (2-3 weeks ago, but the tech said "something is wrong with it b/c its running very rich)
2.5inch catback

NO reading is like 7xx max right?
I got like 3000+ reading...

i warmed up my car pretty well before doing the smog(drove from riverside to LA, about 1 hour)

I know the timing is off for sure(well after the test....) need to find a timing light first
gas cap failed(bought a new one right afterwards)

from reading this thread, i assume its time for a new cat?

thanks to whoever can help
if your NOX reading is high then you're running lean not rich. NOX is the production of excess heat in the combustion chamber. a lean condition will cause the NOX number to be excessively high. If all your other numbers were fine, it's not the cat. Try retarding your timing a bit or getting a step colder plugs. this may help.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #103
touge monster
Zilvia Addict

touge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Whats the difference between Test Only and normal Smog shops?

Is test only for 'older' cars?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are both the same as far as testing goes.

A test only shop can only test and do nothing else, whereas in a regular smog shops, the techs can make adjustments to your car and replace parts to make it pass.

I think test only are only for older cars.
touge monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #104
touge monster
Zilvia Addict

touge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant futuretouge monster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
if your NOX reading is high then you're running lean not rich. NOX is the production of excess heat in the combustion chamber. a lean condition will cause the NOX number to be excessively high. If all your other numbers were fine, it's not the cat. Try retarding your timing a bit or getting a step colder plugs. this may help.

Had the same problem.

new plugs and re-adjusting your timing should make it pass.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #105
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by touge monster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are both the same as far as testing goes.

A test only shop can only test and do nothing else, whereas in a regular smog shops, the techs can make adjustments to your car and replace parts to make it pass.

I think test only are only for older cars.
That's correct.

The TEST ONLY shops are supposed to be "stricter", more like a Ref. The 'regular' smog test guys can repair your car, and "work with you" to get it passed... test only just runs the test, and if you don't pass any single part, get-outta-here.

So lets see how to put this... if you are in a situation where your car for sure won't pass smog, but you don't have to go to Test Only, you can always take it to a "regular" test place and see if they'll work with you. If you have to get it done at a Test Only (the registration/DMV paperwork will tell you at the top in bold), you're probably going to have to buy a smog, and it might be more expensive because Test Only is watched much more closely.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #106
touge monster
Zilvia Addict

California's smog law suck.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #107
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Quote:
the guy who previously had my engine said he put in some new Iridium(sp?) plugs a few months ago

should i switch back to the normal Copper ones?

thanks

heres more info regarding my problem
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/223732-smog-problems.html
Old 11-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #108
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
High NOX readings is the result of your Exhaust Gas Recirculation, (EGR) system not working. You could have a cut, melted or split vacuum line or bad soleniod somewhere in the EGR system...You'll need a Factory Service Manual to trace the lines & fix the problem.

The purpose of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is to reduce the NOx emissions by putting a portion of the vehicle's exhaust gas back into the intake manifold so it mixes with the fuel and air in the combustion chamber. Air is mainly made of oxygen and nitrogen (O2 and N2). At temperatures above 1300°C (2372°F), these molecules split apart and rejoin with each other to make nitrogen oxides (like NO, NO2, etc...).

By adding hot exhaust gases into the combustion chamber, you are lowering peak combustion temperatures. The lower temperatures prevent the O2 and N2 from splitting and combining. Even though the exhaust is hot, about 600°C (or 1112°F), it's much cooler than the 1300°C required to make NOx.

In summary, the exhaust adds mass, increasing the heat capacitance of the mixture (i.e. making it harder to heat up the mixture in the cylinder). Peak temperatures are lower, reducing NOx formation, which ultimately reduces smog in the environment.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #109
EwokVillage

EwokVillage is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
ask me questions if you need to know something. its dead at my work, and im getting paid to browse zilvia.
smog questions here:
just got a 1996 240sx, automatic...it won't pass smog at 15 mph but passes at 25 mph. the MIL/Check Engine light part of the test also fails. the smog place i go to advised me that this is because the battery was disconnected at some point.

what can i do to get this thing done? my registration is coming up and i'm semi-FUBAR.
EwokVillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #110
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
techn9ne - i have my 91 coupe i needa smog for insurance...problem being i have Engine light, code is for EGR (code 32) i know what it is, but i dont have time, ive been told that it can still pass sniffer even wiht this specific code on, but im just wondering if i can bring it to ur shop for smog and if theyll be linient on me wiht the E light on, cuz fuck me, getting to the egr under the manifold is abitch...fat fingures FTMFL

P.S. car is completely stock

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #111
noneckgus

noneckgus is making his/her stupidity well-knownnoneckgus is making his/her stupidity well-knownnoneckgus is making his/her stupidity well-knownnoneckgus is making his/her stupidity well-known
so if i customized the stock air filter box would the nox levels be out of spec and cause the car to fail smog?
noneckgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #112
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlafie View Post
High NOX readings is the result of your Exhaust Gas Recirculation, (EGR) system not working. You could have a cut, melted or split vacuum line or bad soleniod somewhere in the EGR system...You'll need a Factory Service Manual to trace the lines & fix the problem.

The purpose of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is to reduce the NOx emissions by putting a portion of the vehicle's exhaust gas back into the intake manifold so it mixes with the fuel and air in the combustion chamber. Air is mainly made of oxygen and nitrogen (O2 and N2). At temperatures above 1300°C (2372°F), these molecules split apart and rejoin with each other to make nitrogen oxides (like NO, NO2, etc...).

By adding hot exhaust gases into the combustion chamber, you are lowering peak combustion temperatures. The lower temperatures prevent the O2 and N2 from splitting and combining. Even though the exhaust is hot, about 600°C (or 1112°F), it's much cooler than the 1300°C required to make NOx.

In summary, the exhaust adds mass, increasing the heat capacitance of the mixture (i.e. making it harder to heat up the mixture in the cylinder). Peak temperatures are lower, reducing NOx formation, which ultimately reduces smog in the environment.
thank you for explaining the point of the EGR system to me

never knew that
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #113
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
dennydizzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
cant pass smog!!need help! my results:

'93 240sx ka24de all stock except no resonator on stock intake
changed sparkplugs/wires
(except for cylinder #1 couldnt get the suckker out)
got a CAT from lower mile 240sx

15mph
HC.....Max=88......Measured=57
CO.....Max=0.52...Measured=0.01
NOx...Max=704....Measured=3151
25mph
HC.....Max=53......Measured=28
CO.....Max=0.50...Measured=0.01
NOx...Max=738....Measured=1796

recent oil changed
tested egr and car nearly died out when blocked the bottom..
warmed up car on freeway 10mins before test..

what should i do to extremely lower my NOx? should i clean out egr?does
gapping the sparkplugs important for smog? i think i seen i only had 3 pins on my maf is that normal?
any help i would i appreciate it thanks..

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
dennydizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #114
miklos
Zilvia Member

miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
My Smog problem:

I went to Test Only and all Visual passed but my NO at 15mph was 3652 and at 25mph it was 3045. This was tested in California. My cat is 2 years old.

The odd thing is if I join the 2 vacuum lines going to the AIV--the car idles 100rpm higher and much smoother.
miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #115
zenki.life
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
zenki.life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zenki.life
nice. you bumped an old ass thread that looks like the OP doesnt even post in anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by super240s14 View Post
man you all are ass holes...... and that is rude to talk like that on zilvia im reporting all you...... ZILVIA ADMINISTRATION PLEASE BANNED ALL THREE OF THESE DUDES
^^another person learns the perils of "stupid posting" on zilvia, too bad none will care.
zenki.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #116
ho0dlumka13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ho0dlumka13 will become famous soon enoughho0dlumka13 will become famous soon enoughho0dlumka13 will become famous soon enoughho0dlumka13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
does anyone know if i can pass smog with 248/248 cams?
ho0dlumka13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #117
miklos
Zilvia Member

miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki.life View Post
nice. you bumped an old ass thread that looks like the OP doesnt even post in anymore
What is the problem posting in an old thread? It isn't closed.
miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #118
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
My Smog problem:

I went to Test Only and all Visual passed but my NO at 15mph was 3652 and at 25mph it was 3045. This was tested in California. My cat is 2 years old.

The odd thing is if I join the 2 vacuum lines going to the AIV--the car idles 100rpm higher and much smoother.
most likely ur EGR system is clogged
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #119
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
What does the OBD2 scanner actually read? Does it get actual RPM numbers or anything? Does it just check that the ECU sends READY for everything?

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #120
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Dear smog tech,
question 1. A friend is telling me they no longer do the "reffing" for swapped engines in cars, he was telling me they don't really care about sr20's etc anymore as long as you pass the sniffer/db test.

question 2. What would it take to pass a ls1 in a s14? The car would have two cats, two mufflers, and be quiet. It would also be running the stock ecu/pcm and all factory vacume lines will connected. Engine will also be newer than the chasis. Any other rules to get it to pass?
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote