Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
SR sr20 coilpack upgrade thread

Since old engines have old components and the ignition system for the sr20 is aging and causing problems for many wanting to keep thier cars in fine running condition, it would be nice to have a thread about upgrading the ignition system on these cars. i know there is info out there scattered around zilvia and other places about what to do and what works, but it would be nice to have this info all in one place on zilvia

From a financal point, to get a new ignitor, coilpacks and probably a new coilpack harness the cost is going to be more than changing the system all together; just changing out the coils will cost about the same as some of these full-upgrade systems.

While some (most) of these smart coil upgrades require a standalone ecu to maximize performance, others may not.

I want to start by listing known systems sr20 can upgrade too and if people can help by adding their experience with such systems pros and cons, how to make the system work if the car has a stock ecu or aftermarket etc

it should be noted that in each case the ignitor chip needs to be bypassed either with a plug-in option or the rewiring of that part of the harness.

From what i can gather there is the LSX coil pack upgrade pros are they are readily available and not too expensive.

Also the R35, VR37, audi R8, toyota yaris, s15 smart coilpacks have been shown to work with the sr20 engine
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I’ve run a pretty simple system on my VET.

Standard S14 SR ignitor and Denso/AEM dumb coils. The Denso version are the same shape, length and wiring connection as the AEM pencil coils and 1/4 the price. The only caveat is they require the threaded spark plug tip.

This setup made 500whp at 19-20psi on 93oct.

The new setup is VQ37 coils, bypassed ignitor and a PRP bracket/boots. These coils plug directly into the factory SR harness, but require two wires to be swapped. The coils are a pretty snug fit on the VE head.m, unfortunately, I do not have a DE/DET head to verify on. They fit great through the smaller opening of thr S15 VC and seal around the plug hole even without the PRP bracket. Length is perfect for the SR too. The only issue I have seen stems from the mounting hole being offset from the VR38 coils, which everyone designs their kits around.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #3
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I am using the vr38 coils from rockauto. Works great and made a little L bracket and trimmed off like inch off the base.

Last edited by slider2828; 12-05-2022 at 09:42 PM..
slider2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:10 AM   #4
nmerriw
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura aboutnmerriw has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock ecu, I'm running VQ35 coils, just need to bypass the ignitor (match the colors) and swap a couple pins at the connector (google is your friend).

No issues so far, and replacement parts are in every junkyard by the hundreds.
nmerriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Even if it is new, its not too pricey.... If you have an aftermarket ecu, there is information for dwell.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
thom

thom is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used yaris and K20 coils in my sr20 when trying to source a misfire which finally wasn't coming from the coil packs.

To be honest i didnt see any difference in perfrormance. I kept the K20 on.

As an upgrade its super easy if you have a stand alone ecu . You just bypass the ignitor, and change the pinout. Everything can be found online , dwell times etc

Installation is easy. The Yaris coils i think one of them only needed some triming.
The k20 sits a little taller and you need some open spacer to fil the gap between the coil and valve cover.

https://imgur.com/a/VI2OE6q
Old 12-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...nissan-sr20det

I really like these for sr20, essentially r35 coilpacks in a sr20 coilpack casing. no bracketry fuss, straight bolt in.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:46 PM   #8
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
On my SR I did the PRP bracket with R35 coils (hitachi from Rockauto).

Honestly, it's pretty fiddly with the cut-to-length silicon boots and the springs that you have to swap around. I thought I chucked a rocker on the dyno and taking it all apart to pull the valve cover wasn't as easy as it should have been. The setup works totally fine, just not as easy as stock to service.

That IP setup looks great. Wish I would have grabbed that instead (and still may).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...nissan-sr20det

I really like these for sr20, essentially r35 coilpacks in a sr20 coilpack casing. no bracketry fuss, straight bolt in.
Interesting! I'd love to see some third party testing.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:53 AM   #10
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I use Denso K20 coils with a plug and play wiring specialties harness. No spark issues with .028 BKR7E. Given what I remember my tuner saying when he first tuned it from the stock SR coil setup he barely needed to touch the dwell settings. As for fastening them, the mounting ears on the coils line up decently with the threads in the S13 SR valve cover, though there is like a 1" air gap where a spacer would be nice, and they're also too tall to use the stock coilpack cover. I just hand thread some long M6x1.0's in to hold them from popping out and I've been cool with this setup overall.

Not sure if this is constructive to this thread but thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #11
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
S15 and all VQ/VR coils require the same wiring changes. Bypass ignitor and flip two pins at the coilpack connection. I know I documented the wires on an old thread here on Zilvia. Good thing is they all use the same connector, so those will be the most "plug n play" friendly options.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:48 PM   #12
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
On my personal SR20 I’ve run these coils:
Oem s14 + igniter
Oem s15
Oem honda k20 (denso)
VE R35 coils

They all worked but the R35 coils I’ve been able to gap my plugs back out to .035-.040” (21psi e85 twin scroll 16g turbo)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:48 AM   #13
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
S15 and all VQ/VR coils require the same wiring changes. Bypass ignitor and flip two pins at the coilpack connection. I know I documented the wires on an old thread here on Zilvia. Good thing is they all use the same connector, so those will be the most "plug n play" friendly options.
do you have a link to the wiring changes needed?
Old 04-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
You move two wires.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/52/02/A1DB7D5F-BD93-4160-9EE0-84C0E0F33EB5/httpswww.efisolutions.com.auassetsfilesInstruction _Manuals200024-S13.pdf.png
Old 04-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #15
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
I used this one, really good video on the wiring..... I also cut the rubber at the bottom of the stock and bored the rubber whole at the stock a little bigger......

As for the bracket, I just got some metal brackets from home depot to make it match the holes.

Use the ones from Hitachi, VQ37 coils are same as R35.....

I probably will do a write up on zilvia soon on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrN1w1I5FA
Old 04-17-2023, 01:47 PM   #16
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Here you go:

Quote:
Z33 coils are wired the same as S15 coils. If using S13/S14 subharness, you just have to flip 12V and Ground, pretty simple with a small flathead to move the pins around.

If looking at the end of the connector (terminal side) it goes:
S15/Z33 - [12V]-[GND]-[SIG]
S13/S14 - [GND]-[12V]-[SIG]

If you have a wiring specialties coil harness, the colors are: Ground - Purple/black stripe, 12V - Green, Signal for cylinder #1 is black, 2,3,4 are pink wires. Not sure why #1 is black, probably for backward compatibility with the S13 check circuit, but I bet people confuse it for ground all the time.
from this thread: https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=22
Old 04-18-2023, 08:14 PM   #17
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

thanks for the info. it looks like you changed the wires on each of the 4 coilpack plugs. isnt each coilpack wired off a common wire (ie) a main 5v, ground and signal wire at the main plug for the harness that will split and go to each individual coilpack connector? if you swap the wires at the main plug you only have to swap 2 wires at the start of the coilpack harness.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #18
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I used this one, really good video on the wiring..... I also cut the rubber at the bottom of the stock and bored the rubber whole at the stock a little bigger......

As for the bracket, I just got some metal brackets from home depot to make it match the holes.

Use the ones from Hitachi, VQ37 coils are same as R35.....

I probably will do a write up on zilvia soon on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrN1w1I5FA
did you just use some angle iron and made each coilpack an individual adaptor, or did you go all out and make something similar to what they sell here?

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/pr...ket-hw-stalks/
Old 04-19-2023, 07:33 AM   #19
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
thanks for the info. it looks like you changed the wires on each of the 4 coilpack plugs. isnt each coilpack wired off a common wire (ie) a main 5v, ground and signal wire at the main plug for the harness that will split and go to each individual coilpack connector? if you swap the wires at the main plug you only have to swap 2 wires at the start of the coilpack harness.
If you only swap it at the main plug like you're suggesting, then the color code gets all jacked up. Good luck to the next guy that has to figure out wiring hacks. I understand the desire to be lazy, but it's really not hard to swap two wires at each coilpack connector.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #20
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

i was thinking more from the persepective of less chance of possibly breaking the old plastic connectors on heat tempered/weakened plastic with an oem/original harness. (less chance of breaking one if only opening one vs 4)

im kinda suprised that the ignitor bypass connector dosent take care of the coilpack wiring change needed, and why the ws harness for the coilpack conversion is almost double the cost of the oem replacement coilpack harness
Old 04-19-2023, 07:49 PM   #21
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thumbs up Exactly!................

Quote:
i was thinking more from the persepective of less chance of possibly breaking the old plastic connectors on heat tempered/weakened plastic with an oem/original harness. (less chance of breaking one if only opening one vs 4)

im kinda suprised that the ignitor bypass connector dosent take care of the coilpack wiring change needed, and why the ws harness for the coilpack conversion is almost double the cost of the oem replacement coilpack harness
Exactly!................
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:30 PM   #22
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
just use the s15 cp harness with the z33 coils. its what i did
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:09 AM   #23
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If you only swap it at the main plug like you're suggesting, then the color code gets all jacked up. Good luck to the next guy that has to figure out wiring hacks. I understand the desire to be lazy, but it's really not hard to swap two wires at each coilpack connector.
One cannot find any reference of wire coloring in official Nissan FSM. Only numbered pins from terminal to terminal. And that's the only correct way, in my humble opinion, to make wiring write-ups. Leads could be mixed up, color perception of different persons could be shifted, insulation could change color due to aging, etc, etc. That's why I'm pissed off a bit by "red wire to green, blue to yellow" manuals type.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #24
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

I figure most of the time you'd be using a newer harness anyway for this type of upgrade. Plus you'd want to keep the pinout as correct as possible.

For the second part, ignitor bypass just removes the ignitor from the signal path between the ECU to the coils. So there's no way for that to have any affect on the coilpack harness anyway. Technically the only difference in the sub-harness is the pins for 12V and Ground at the coils, so no change in the signal wires.

I'm not sure about their pricing (my guess is just because it has "GTR" in the name, it gets taxed) but you can always just get either an S15 replacement sub-harness, and it'll be plug-n-play. Or get the S13/14 sub-harness and swap the wires at the coil packs as I've described above.

Right now WS the S13/14 harness is on sale for $69. Add in the ignitor delete for $35 and at $104 you're saving a few bucks compared to the $150 they want for a "conversion" harness ...for essentially the same darn harness.