Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
mr_eh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
over fender paint/prep question

Hello - I currently have my car at a paint shop and I supplied 35mm origin over fenders for the car - they are asking me for 400$ to prep the fenders for paint as they feel they will look wavy/shitty if painted the way they are - I've never had any experience/know anyone who has had over fenders mounted so I'm a little curious how bad or if they've had issues with putting over fenders on or if they need any work etc etc.

tired and it's the final nail in a long build, spending another 400$ on top of everything else is just a kick to the nuts - I partially just want to mount and paint them as is and people can bitch at origin if they are wavy at this point...

any pics/info/experience would be appreciated
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
put them on yourself, unless they will block it i could see why the price, although if they are painting the entire cost the over fenders cover a nice piece from the car, so they should'nt charge that much, although i do think 400 is a bit steep..
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

they are painting the whole car, the 400 is just to prep the fenders, I just didn't think they needed that much work to prep them - I'm gonna go there in person tomorrow and try to understand where they came up with the number, they are being mounted for free by a friend at the body shop
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
400 seems a bit steep unless they fit like shit (yes they're origin, but they are fiberglass). Fiberglass is tricky to do right and have it not look different. Unless this is a show car or you're already getting a very expensive paintjob its up to you whether you can live with the consequences.

These are the skirts i did while i painted my car you can see how they look different, in person they aren't *THAT* bad. But it was a cheap job and i did the majority of the work so to me i op'ted not to spend hours on them
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

the fitment is surprisingly fine - the front fenders were a nightmare but the rear ones fit fine - but yeah, fiberglass...

I mean the car has... upwards of 50k into it right now and the paint job is costing me 2800$ the extra 400$ is to make the over fenders look proper for paint and to eliminate them from being wavy as they are saying...

it's not a show car at all though... I've wanted the car to look more of a street driven car from start to finish... I personally don't care too much about if they are wavy or not...

but I think I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face if I don't fork over another 400$ to make them "perfect" ...

thanks for the picture that gives me some kind of idea what I'm in for... I'm still in the mindset of hey it's origin, this is how they come, deal with it...

I imagine at some point the tires are going to meet the fender and destroy them anyway so why bother :|
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
50k!!!! Should of bought a gtr35
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
50k!!!! Should of bought a gtr35
I didn't have it all at once, I don't make that much money it's been like chiseling away at a giant rock with a toothpick for the last 4 years... I have a gt35r if that counts =V
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Overfenders look horrible just sprayed over as they come. They are always really wavy. Definitely worth the work to block them out and get rid of the waves.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
$3800 for a whole car is actually pretty cheap, depending on the materials being used. Ive got over half of that just in materials to paint my car (to give you an idea, a gallon of paint/reducer was $750, and a gallon of clear/hardener/reducer was just under $800. That doesnt include primer, paper, etc etc. ).

Anyways, $400 to get fiberglass overs straight is not bad, if you havent worked with fiberglass before you wont truly understand how much work it takes to get perfect. It also takes a special kind of primer (if the shop is doing the proper job)... They definetly are not overcharging you. I would say go ahead and bite the bullet, it will be well worth it in the end.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
^^^Plus the fact that they have to cut up the stock harness, reweld, seal, primer/paint it to prevent it from rusting, and then mount/smooth/paint the fenders.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Yeah, if they actually do it right they have to cut the OEM fenders... But I wouldnt count on that for $400.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
tdaffern
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tdaffern is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My origin overs are actually really good. Just had to block them out a bit. Fronts on the other hand needed some love. $400 doesn't sound to bad. I just had my doors fixed that were fucked and was charged $200, but that was through a buddy. But yes if they are not done correctly they will look wavey and shitty.

Check out West Motors for all your automotive needs https://www.facebook.com/WestMotorsAz
tdaffern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
$3800 for a whole car is actually pretty cheap, depending on the materials being used. Ive got over half of that just in materials to paint my car (to give you an idea, a gallon of paint/reducer was $750, and a gallon of clear/hardener/reducer was just under $800. That doesnt include primer, paper, etc etc. ).

Anyways, $400 to get fiberglass overs straight is not bad, if you havent worked with fiberglass before you wont truly understand how much work it takes to get perfect. It also takes a special kind of primer (if the shop is doing the proper job)... They definetly are not overcharging you. I would say go ahead and bite the bullet, it will be well worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
^^^Plus the fact that they have to cut up the stock harness, reweld, seal, primer/paint it to prevent it from rusting, and then mount/smooth/paint the fenders.
the fenders were already cut & welded, all of the body work per say up to this point and the front fenders were free of charge from a bodywork friend.. he's thrown in the towel at this point and has me at his friends shop to finish it up lol... but yeah all of the $ is going towards materials at this point
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

my concern is that they do 400$ worth of prepping/smoothing and they still have waves... I'd rather just spray them as is and let it ride but they are totally convinced it'll take away from the paint job if the rear quarters are wonked out
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_eh View Post
my concern is that they do 400$ worth of prepping/smoothing and they still have waves... I'd rather just spray them as is and let it ride but they are totally convinced it'll take away from the paint job if the rear quarters are wonked out
sounds like you take pride and joy in your car. You should do it IMO. You don't want to sit there and look at something that isn't perfect with your/our kind of personality lol.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
pay the extra money...but one consideration is the color. dark glossy paints will exagerate the waves in the paint.
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
sounds like you take pride and joy in your car. You should do it IMO. You don't want to sit there and look at something that isn't perfect with your/our kind of personality lol.
....it would be a disservice to champagne gold owners everywhere to not get it right! ... I'll have to sleep on it but 400$ now to not kick myself in the ass later is probably worth it - I'll see what they say when I get down there

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ic02 View Post
pay the extra money...but one consideration is the color. dark glossy paints will exagerate the waves in the paint.
It's going to be repainted champagne gold.. cause we all know champagne gold is the worst color!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
hamizle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
hamizle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's going to be repainted champagne gold.. cause we all know champagne gold is the worst color![/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth!
hamizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You must have something pretty crazy under the hood to have spent $50k on that! Hope the paint turns out nice.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
You must have something pretty crazy under the hood to have spent $50k on that! Hope the paint turns out nice.
just an sr20, build thread; http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...-progress.html
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
krappy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
krappy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
no matter how smooth you get them they will start to wave again with temp changes... paid a pretty penny to get my rear overs blocked and that lasted one season before they started to wave again.
krappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

that's the kinda stuff I want to hear! I've seen them warp sitting in my trunk for a few hours in the sun..
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
We're talking about molding them on too?
Worth it.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
We're talking about molding them on too?
Worth it.
newp, don't want them molded. They look cleaner & better molded, I agree - But it's not what I want.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
It's going to be repainted champagne gold.. cause we all know champagne gold is the worst color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamizle View Post

Ain't that the truth!
YUP! Worst color ever.

wish I had better pix. haha.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #26
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
newp, don't want them molded. They look cleaner & better molded, I agree - But it's not what I want.
then shouldnt matter rivets gonna make little creases anyway.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #27
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
YUP! Worst color ever.

wish I had better pix. haha.
I probably do at home... Kept a folder of gold 14s -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
then shouldnt matter rivets gonna make little creases anyway.
I've considered that too... I just wish I could see their horror vision of what it looks like vs what it'll actually look like
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
blueshark123
Post Whore!

blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
I would recommend chargespeed overs to anyone, they fit so much better and less wavy then anything fiberglass i have owned.

But u probably didnt want 50mm wider with your setup i assume.

Look up gsracer build thread he has origin fenders and shows the real quality of the fenders and all the prep work he did to make them less wavy.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #29
mr_eh
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
I would recommend chargespeed overs to anyone, they fit so much better and less wavy then anything fiberglass i have owned.

But u probably didnt want 50mm wider with your setup i assume.
Initially I did want and had ordered 50s but 35s came and they will work with my current wheel setup bulging them out a little =|
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
blueshark123
Post Whore!

blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Honestly i would tell them to eat a dick and just do a light prep like any body part will need fuck the waves cause the rivets will show more waves anyway. If you were to mold them then yea i would recommend prepping more but that not the case.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote