Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #61
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo711
Just as a note, I wouldn't recommend 10w-60 for street engines, as 60 weight has a hard time fitting in between a lot of things, especially on high-rpm or newly rebuilt motors. I'm pretty sure 10w-60 is intented for loose built, high (metal) expansion racing motors built for MAX power.[/url]
For what it's worth my father's E60 M5 runs 10-60; it redlines at 8300 or so and it's got the tightest tolerances of anything I've ever touched.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #62
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
M5 is almost a race motor, with a huge oil pump to push that thick oil.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #63
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
M5 is almost a race motor, with a huge oil pump to push that thick oil.
You are correct It's actually got four oil pumps and a wet sump though

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #64
CylonFrakker
Zilvia Addict

CylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond reputeCylonFrakker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to CylonFrakker
I run Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Racing Oil. Its great and thick enough for a high revving race motor. Never had a problem with it at all. You should try it. Its cheap and it works. I just wish they made a lighter oil in it. i would be happy with a 10W-50

UGR.....SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES....
CylonFrakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #65
sr20drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
sr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
I use Motul 5w-30 on my sr20det.It's good and light for my car in winter.When Spring starts,I use Motul 10w-30.I make sure that I use their engine cleaner once after 2 oil changes.It works for me.
sr20drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #66
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20drifter1
I use Motul 5w-30 on my sr20det.It's good and light for my car in winter.When Spring starts,I use Motul 10w-30.I make sure that I use their engine cleaner once after 2 oil changes.It works for me.
where do you buy motul oil?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #67
akito
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
akito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
ill be buying oil next week. if anyone wants in to try it out.
options available are
for the crazy enthusiasts on the track 0w-50... 8.50$/qt 51/box
then as follows for the daily drivers
0w-20 = 7.75$/qt... 46.50$/box
5w-20 $7.75/qt... 46.50$/box
5w-30 $6.25/qt... 37.50$/box

1 box = 6 qts
akito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #68
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
my old s13 ran on regular oil till i bought it withhhh.. 120k? switched straight to royal purple, ran for 20k... sold it.. current owner uses royal purple for another 15k, engines never been better.. still holds perfect compression. theres about 30k on top of my S14 SR on royal purple.. who knows if it ran with reg. or synth.. runs like a champ, perfect compression. i work at a car dealership.. when you come in for an oil change, the oil you get anywhere.. is absolutely the cheapest shit the owner will throw in there. all toyotas start with toyota motor oil for first 5k-15k miles, and then are switched to semi-synthetic that resembles slightly discolored water haha.. without a hickup. occasionally we get high, really high, or jesus.. its still running high.. mileage cars.. first time customers who decide to switch to synthetic on 400k mile sienna engines, and once again.. do it without a hiccup. maybe theres fact to whats being said, but 36 mechanics at my work, and of course at other places.. will tend to disagree that it will cause damage.. they just recommend against using synthetic if your engines leaking oil like a SS autochrome manifolds leak exhaust haha
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #69
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise
my old s13 ran on regular oil till i bought it withhhh.. 120k? switched straight to royal purple, ran for 20k... sold it.. current owner uses royal purple for another 15k, engines never been better.. still holds perfect compression. theres about 30k on top of my S14 SR on royal purple.. who knows if it ran with reg. or synth.. runs like a champ, perfect compression. i work at a car dealership.. when you come in for an oil change, the oil you get anywhere.. is absolutely the cheapest shit the owner will throw in there. all Toyotas start with toyota motor oil for first 5k-15k miles, and then are switched to semi-synthetic that resembles slightly discolored water haha.. without a hickup. occasionally we get high, really high, or jesus.. its still running high.. mileage cars.. first time customers who decide to switch to synthetic on 400k mile sienna engines, and once again.. do it without a hiccup. maybe theres fact to whats being said, but 36 mechanics at my work, and of course at other places.. will tend to disagree that it will cause damage.. they just recommend against using synthetic if your engines leaking oil like a SS autochrome manifolds leak exhaust haha

People were not saying it cause's damage per se. What they were saying is the fact that a engine ran on petroluem based oil for a long time when switched over to synthetic would start leaking oil and be a waste of money and due to leakage could go down the road of damage if oil levels were not maintained because of leakage.
Now this happens to be a fact. Petroleum based oil over times swells rubber seals and gaskets. It also gunks them up with buildup. When you run a synthetic it tends to not do this and also does not gunk up. When that happens after using petroleum based oil and switching to synthetic it causes leaks because it cleans the gunk out and also no longer swells the seals. Thereby causing possible leakage and waste of money due to oil loss and if the owner of said vehicle is not careful low oil due to oil loss which can cause damage. These are all proven facts and many mechanics can attest to it.
Now if your engine is well maintained with a petroleum based oil not allowed to gunk up and does not have a lot of mileage than switching over is not a problem.
Though higher mileage engines run on Petroleum should stay on Petroleum for the above stated facts.
P.S. most higher mileage engines are not well maintained oil wise anyways and what I stated above rings completely true.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html

Last edited by drift freaq; 03-10-2007 at 03:28 PM..
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #70
sTalnOut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
sTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nicesTalnOut is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sTalnOut
i use GReddy GR2 oil
sTalnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #71
boozels
Zilvia Addict

boozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to all
Torco is one of the best. Sr1 or if your baller the Sr5
boozels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #72
Atljunglist
Leaky Injector

Atljunglist is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20drifter1
What kind of cleaner do you guys recomend??
Atljunglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #73
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
I use K&N , Mobil 1 or Nissan OEM for filters....

CLeaner? You mean engine solvents? for cleaninginternals?

I clean my engines via re-builds and hot tanking. thats about it.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #74
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
im on my 3rd KA and my 2nd s13. all 3 engines got mobil 1 10w30. along with a standard tune up. and i've never had smoking. leaking. or a change in performance. these motors aren't built motors with tight tolerances. they are quite robust and can take a beating. don't baby it, beat it. and i also get amsoil at stupid cheap pricing. thanks to a sponsor. but i will be using that in a different motor. if you want clean oil. bite the the bit get a good oil filter. i have the trask setup and my friend is using the canton setup. super awesome filtration and i can run the oil in the car longer (currently 7K miles on the mobil 1 oil with the trask filter and the oil is still a nice brown). Good oil is only part of the equation, the filter is the main ingredient IMO. to having the best setup.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #75
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
okay i just red this and im tired so i think i got confused. is it okay to swith to organic from sinthetic? i dont knwo what the person ran in it before i bought it.
and another thing, i hear that the est filter is the one from the dealership cause the filter isnt paper like fram. that just waht i hear and what i use.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #76
O3DigitalBath
Zilvia Addict

O3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to O3DigitalBath
so how many people are runnin some of the thinnest shit they can find and a big oil cooler with theromostat so it doesn't thin out too much?>
O3DigitalBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #77
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
well i ran alot of different oils... i really like 10w30 for how it feels. 5w30 a lil too thin, pressure drop. higher than 10w40 isnt necessary if u have a low mileage sr.
i use torco now. i love this stuff.

used redline. my favourite. this and torco.

used royal purple for 2 years. its ok dont get me wrong but lookin at the data its inferior to torco and redline
used all other offshelf stuff. ofcourse its not as great.

also look into amsoil. but if u gonna order anyway, then might as well use torco.

10w30 ftw. and i track my car just fine with it 1-2 (sometimes) a month. u could run an oilcooler and be golden.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #78
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
When I bought my car it was at 130k miles and had been on dino oil its entire life. There were receipts to prove it was changed every 3000 miles. The front main seal was leaking so I replaced that and switched to synthetic. Runs great, even better than before from the sound of things. I haven't had any leak trouble from the engine since the front main seal either.

I like Redline 10w30 in my car. I may try a 10w40 next but right now I'm running the AutoRx treatment to clean it out some. It has been getting more quiet since I started running the "clean" phase and I'm almost to the "rinse" phase. I'm using Valvoline for the AutoRx cause it says to use dino oil. Also, using a PureOne filter.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #79
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm hearing a lot of good things about this Enios oil. I might have to pick some up from you.
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #80
akito
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
akito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of lightakito is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so now that hybrid performance posted up something before i did.... anyone interested lol
akito is offline   Reply With Quote