Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Bmadd

Trader Rating: (0)
Bmadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sage advice...

I drive an RB swapped s13, fully built suspension, all out, 300 whp rocket sled. I was in Iraq in 03-04 and read in one of those import mags about the swap, and decided to do it. Once it was done I started hitting events with my awesome machine and proceeded to get mopped up by guys with near stock rx-8s and s-chassis cars making half the power and way less suspension.

My point is this: I was in love with the car/motor swap. not with the skills and practice associated with actually being a good driver. Since then my mindset has shifted significantly and I am pretty decent now. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not swapped, and blew all that money on a legit racing school and track time.

When I look at your parts list, I fear you may fall into the same trap. Don't fall in love with the concept of being a drift racer. If you have a very limited budget, then why enkei rims? understand?

I bought some sweet 17x10 5ziegens and can barely afford tires, and I have a professional career. so I went to the junkyard and found some q45 mesh wheels for 100 bucks, and they're 15s so tires are cheap. and i'll drift till the tires blow up and i don't mind.

Actually become a good driver. go to events. talk to people while you save money. go to road atlanta and volunteer to be a flagger at some scca/nasa events. talk to drivers. talk to DRIFT drivers. do ride alongs. go to Auto-x. you can auto-x with an 87 Hyundai as long as it doesnt leak too bad. it will teach you the fundamentals of driving. find a mentor.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just keep you grounded. Best of luck!