Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
nismoskyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
KA Split-Second Starter Delay

When you turn the key in the ignition, usually you should instantly hear the starter cranking the motor, "chu-thu-thu-thu", lol

Lately, it seems that an increasing delay is developing from the time I turn the key to the starting position and the time that I actually hear the motor crank.

I turn the key and instead of cranking right away, it seems like a fraction of a second goes by, then I hear the starter.

This has only been happening occasionally, however, today I turned the key and nothing happened at all (no clicks or anything), but it started right away the second time I turned the key.

Doesn't seem like a major issue at the moment, but I'd like to take care of this before it gets any worse.

Car is all stock, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

(function)(form)^(-1)
nismoskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Sounds like your battery is nearing its end. Bust out a voltmeter and see where its at right now, without starting your car.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As said above, low battery voltage, or the starter itself.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
ignition switch or wiring.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
94porkchop
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
94porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would also double check the timing.that can also caused a slightly delayed starting.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I have this exact same problem and it seems from what I've observed it has to do with the ECU. Usually when my fuel pump is still priming and the key is in the start position, if I hold it there it won't start until the fuel pump is done priming, then it'll start right up. If I turn to the start position and the fuel pump has already been primed, it starts right up like it should. My battery is only a few months old (holds a solid 12.5v - 12.8v when car is shut off) and my alternator is good (at idle voltage is around 13.7v at the terminals)
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mine was doing that for 3 days and then the started completely died
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
the exact same thing happened to me friday OP...out of nowhere no click nothing...went to Autozone, battery was perfect...even swapped in a brand new gold duralast to see if that was the problem and nope, it was the starter going...

swapped starter day after and 0 issues...put back the original battery and still working liek a achamp...

i say do the same hting i did, go to autozone, get ur battery tested, if it passes, ur starters taking a dump soon, if u have plug cleaner, clean up ur plugs, corrosion gould be a culprit, but im unsure if it would be...

for me it was the starter.

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What is the year/model of the car?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
wiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Starter.. my 14 used to do that. Id have to put the key in and jiggle it before it would start.
wiggafly808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Was your car converted to manual?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for all the replies

I don't have a voltmeter but I could probably go to AutoZone and have them test it...

@KiLLeR2001
Well I don't usually even turn the key until I hear the fuel pump stop priming, so I don't know if that's the issue. Still a possibility though, maybe I forgot to listen for it.
Although, certain times I have intentionally turned the key while the fuel pump was still priming and it has started up.

@DALAZ_68
Ouch, hope it's not the starter, because mine is just a few years old.
Yeah, I think I'm probably gonna go have the battery tested... I have had starting issues due to corroded terminals in the past and this battery's been in there for a while, so I think it could be the culprit...

Car is a '91 240SX, stock, no transmission swaps.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input.

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoskyz View Post
@DALAZ_68
Ouch, hope it's not the starter, because mine is just a few years old.
Yeah, I think I'm probably gonna go have the battery tested... I have had starting issues due to corroded terminals in the past and this battery's been in there for a while, so I think it could be the culprit...

u missed my point, it was the starter, i swapped it out, and blamo she starts B-E-Autifully now

it was a bitch to do...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
one30five

Trader Rating: (0)
one30five is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have that problem, but mine is the signal connector near the starter. When i jump over the connector, it works fine.
one30five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
u missed my point, it was the starter, i swapped it out, and blamo she starts B-E-Autifully now

it was a bitch to do...
Yeah I see that your problem was the starter, I was saying that I just hope mine isn't the starter since it's not even that old.

Still haven't yet had the opportunity to have the battery tested.. but I'm having a feeling it is the battery, since it seems to happen only if I haven't started the car for several hours or so.

(function)(form)^(-1)