Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #151
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
Is that a turbo that helps prevent surge?

Carlos
i think so it really looks like it. (larger turbo inlet, holes in the inlet as well kind of liket he To4Z and the SPL T51R Kai

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #152
S13FREEAAK
Drifterella

Trader Rating: (14)
S13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
Is that a turbo that helps prevent surge?

Carlos
Yep, those housings are referred to as "Anti-surge housings".
S13FREEAAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #153
MeSs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
MeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is the wildest project ive ever seen.. Lots of them in Norway (VW caddy with rwd and CA18det, or VW golf 2 with rwd), but this beats it..
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #154
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm just curous, maybe I missed the post where you mentioned it but how are you gonna cover up the tranny now that you've made room for it in the tunnel? Also what's the black plate for under the brake reseviour in the last set of pics?

project looks great BTW. keep it up.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #155
rubberbiscuitt

rubberbiscuitt is an unknown quantity at this point
it's awesome to see self done projects. and so good.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #156
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream240
I'm just curous, maybe I missed the post where you mentioned it but how are you gonna cover up the tranny now that you've made room for it in the tunnel? Also what's the black plate for under the brake reseviour in the last set of pics?

project looks great BTW. keep it up.

The plate is just a backing plate because i moved it away from the centerline and the new holes were exposed.

the tunnel is going to be fabbed from aluminum, removeable with zues fasteners...
ctnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #157
240sx2jz
Leaky Injector

240sx2jz is an unknown quantity at this point
hey ctnewman make sure to allow for enough driveshaft angle, i made the mistake of not having enough angle i was thinkin that the minimum working angle would be the best and it was not (ie i had a working angle of 1.5-1.0 degrees) so and cause intense vibration.
240sx2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #158
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
hey ctnewman make sure to allow for enough driveshaft angle, i made the mistake of not having enough angle i was thinkin that the minimum working angle would be the best and it was not (ie i had a working angle of 1.5-1.0 degrees) so and cause intense vibration.

it's not that you need to minimize the working angle, you just need to have equal working area +/- .5 degrees between the two joints.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #159
240sx2jz
Leaky Injector

240sx2jz is an unknown quantity at this point
you also want a certain amount of angle on the u joits to make sure that they wear evenly, but that alo depends on how fast your driveshaft will get up to.
240sx2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #160
Happy240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Happy240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Newman for fu#$ing Prez!!
Happy240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #161
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

the car is being painted green.

Olive army super high gloss...

The cage and engine are being done a really dark bronze. MMMM...

This is what i did tonight... It's as far from the reservoir as i can get it. May need a heatshield. The DP and mani are getting coated with swaintech white lightning. The DP will be completely enclosed by the tunnel.

also, put my order in for these bad boys... 8-12 weeks.

17X10 & 17X8.5. Gold finish.

3.875 lip inna da rear

Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #162
lazierhobo
Zilvia Member

lazierhobo is on the path to ruinlazierhobo is on the path to ruin
those are some of the sickest wheels ever. exactly what that car wants.

i really like the out of the box exhaust solution.
keep up the good work man.
lazierhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #163
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice piping and all...but dude, will that coating decrease the heat THAT much to be in the cabin?

EDIT: Ohhhh, I get it now. The tunnel is removable, so you're gonna put it back on top. Gotcha.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #164
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

yeah, the piping won't be visible except from under the car, and if you remove the tunnel.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #165
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

cmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to cmcdougle
that's a weak looking steering column.

This is a crazzyyyyy build though. I wish I would have kept up with this more.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #166
'90RPS13
BANNED

'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to '90RPS13
^~~Haha, I had to read all the pages today. VERY interesting build up. Props to you Newman.
'90RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #167
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
gawd i fucking love you man...

i am coming to see this on monday.

also... you gotta see some of the pics i have of chris's VH45DETT S13 build... it's moving along just as well as yours.. two of the craziest projects in the out there are right here in the north east.. fuck
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #168
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdougle
that's a weak looking steering column.

good, that way when i crash, it won't stab through my body...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #169
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing
gawd i fucking love you man...

i am coming to see this on monday.

also... you gotta see some of the pics i have of chris's VH45DETT S13 build... it's moving along just as well as yours.. two of the craziest projects in the out there are right here in the north east.. fuck
You should make a thread and post some of those pics.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #170
BLITZZZ
BANNED

BLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-known
i liked everything you did up until the downpipe, just seems kind of power robbing, all the bends and such, you couldnt fit it under/over the steering column and position the exhaust to the left side of the vehicle?

If you leave it like that i'd recommend cerramic painting/coating the whole downpipe and heatwraping it, overall the downpipe looks great though
BLITZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #171
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLITZZZ
i liked everything you did up until the downpipe, just seems kind of power robbing, all the bends and such, you couldnt fit it under/over the steering column and position the exhaust to the left side of the vehicle?

If you leave it like that i'd recommend cerramic painting/coating the whole downpipe and heatwraping it, overall the downpipe looks great though

it will actually flow a lot better than most downpipes, because it doesn't go right into a 90 bend down. It is important to normalize the gas flow early on. Also, there is less than 270 degrees of total bend. Most Downpipes have 2 quick 90 degree bends that are 100% opposed. This is a much greater air turbulator than what I have, which is a smooth, nearly straight section for a solid few feet downstream of the turbo.

The DP will be swaintech coated. If i ran it down the left side of the vehicle, it would intrude on to the driver's side, which i do not want, while i have some flexibility with the passenger seat location, I need the driver's seat to be placed perfectly, you dig?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #172
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
OMG. This is one sexy build. cant wait to see this finished.
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #173
BLITZZZ
BANNED

BLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-known
yeah, i dig, good explanation
BLITZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #174
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Friday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcell View Post
All this work Newman and you still plan to sell once it's done? If you do still plan to then you have to have a buyer lined up already right? If not, I'll make the first bid by offering up my first born.....

As it looks now, I'd probably sell the lotus and keep this, but chances are I will just keep all 3. :P

I'm still waiting on some exhaust parts, so in the meantime:

Yesterday, I removed 58 LBs of sound deadening from the trunk, as well as all the carpet. I put the 8 Gallon fuel cell into the spare tire well. The Summit 8 Gallon cell has no sending unit, so I can see myself running out of fuel once or twice. I may make a holder for an extra fuel can of Just In Case fuel.

I scored some strips of 16GA 304 that i will make hold down straps with. Today I also plan on mounting the WG. I am not doing a dump, I've decided i hate WG dumps, so i will try to tie it into the exhaust a ways downstream... probably at the second straight section.

If i still have time remaining, I am going to look into mounting the IC, while also performing a bumper tuck. (To do this you remove the pressure from the gas springs behind the bumper and press them in)

This is a pic of an aluminum bumpered car that's been tucked and painted, I think the only change needed is painting the door moulding black.

THIS IS THE COLOR I WANT + Fat gold wheels = sex:

it's BMW urban green. only came on a few Z4s

Saturday:
Got everything I planned for accomplished today.
First:
Fuel Cell

Next:
Wastegate mounted to manifold

Then:
Added some flex to the downpipe

After:
Connected the WG to the DO with some tube and a flex joint (minimize internal, thermally induced, stresses)

The completed Downpipe:
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #175
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Shit is rad. I talked to Bing yesterday at a local meet and we were discussing your build. Keep on truckin!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #176
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
i hate you.

i want an E30
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #177
Indolent
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Indolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Indolent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman
The completed Downpipe:
that mini flex pipe on the dump tube is cute
Indolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #178
Bryants95240sx
Zilvia Addict

Bryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the rough
Nice work man, cant wait to see it finished.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #179
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
any cover fro the brake mc and booster?
or floor mounted pedals?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #180
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftwerks
any cover fro the brake mc and booster?
or floor mounted pedals?

I think i am going to remote mount the reservoir. That's really all I'd need, the MC itself is pretty far away from the DP. 4 inches or so. Only the res was close.