Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Brentbohn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Brentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Exclamation 98 sunroof fiberglass trim destroyed help

so looking at nissan it appears inorder to buy the fiberglass trim that covers the edge of glass and weatherstriping you must buy the entire roof assembly,,, anyone have one for sale? and or come up with a reasonable replacement or fix? I dont want to spend 1k for a new one nor do I want to weld the roof and paint.

Wanted: Good well mannered athletic woman with her own classic or sports car.... send photo of car
Brentbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Brentbohn
Zilvia Junkie

Brentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choices
really no one can help?

Wanted: Good well mannered athletic woman with her own classic or sports car.... send photo of car
Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
EDT007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
EDT007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I had the same problem. You only have 3 options: 1) Buy a new OEM one, 2) Find a good condition used one, 3) If your handy you can try and fix the fiberglass. I personally did 2 & 3. I bought a used one but before putting it on redid the whole thing, painted and ordered a new rubber seal from nissan. I'm golden now. Goodluck.
EDT007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
blackoutt
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
blackoutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I sharpied the white chipped parts of mine so it's all black. Is the money and time invested really worth it?
blackoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
Dorifto Machine is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Man these sunroof trim designs were poorly thought out. Figured Id post in here rather than creating a new thread. Ive been presented with the same hassle.

@ EDT007

What glue did you use for the weatherstripping seal?
Do you know if the weatherstripping alone will block most water from leaking in or is a fiberglass trim a must in combo with the seal itself?

Last edited by Dorifto Machine; 10-04-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Dorifto Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I don't think there is an s14 that hasn't had this issue. Mine actually just started separating from the glass in one corner
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
they are 1k at the dealership.......................but u cant buy them anymore no longer produced so partout is your best bet.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
People told me I was crazy when I tried to sell my non sunroof roof panel for $50 after my car got wrecked. Look for a roof or buy another used assembly. IMO a sunroof was the worst option ever for an s14.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
People told me I was crazy when I tried to sell my non sunroof roof panel for $50 after my car got wrecked. Look for a roof or buy another used assembly. IMO a sunroof was the worst option ever for an s14.
People are retarded. I'm cutting the non-sunroof roof off of my 95 so I can get rid of that sunroof shit on my 97.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Brentbohn
Zilvia Junkie

look for a product called window weld or 3m window adhesive, glue the strip inplace and start looking for a strip of 1 inch wide plastic and a dremel to copy the fiberglass.... thats what I have decided to do

Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Brentbohn
Zilvia Junkie

maybe chaser aero should be using thier talents to duplicate this trim instead of making shitty rice inspired body kits...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

My Seal and Trim do not even exist at all. Last owner mangled them.

The ones being sold from part outs that I have found look terrible and the cost to buy the whole sunroof or sunroof glass is to pricey just to fix a damn leak. However, their are a few cool people that sell it cheap but seems like the good conditioned ones are slowly becoming rare.

Its definitely a common flaw. In the process of a more efficient way to fix it with a DIY or custom application. Ive been doing alot of research of making a replacement that could be sold.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Wait, which trim are you guys talking about? My shits leaking and still trying to figure out where the fuck its coming from.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
The worst thing is that if your sunroof trim is fucked or even if its ok a bit, is that the drain for the roof goes right into the rocker panel and rusts it all out and then you need to replace that also.
I will look into someone trying to make a new fiber glass trim out of quality work i have a few leads on someone that can make 1. It will be awesome if they can make it carbon fiber so its stronger.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
ok fill me in. what part is the issue?
What if I don't EVER open my sunroof?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
s13 loverr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
s13 loverr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You could just fit a new piece of metal and panel bond it to completely get rid of the sunroof-that's my plan
s13 loverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
Dorifto Machine
Zilvia Addict

@blueshark123
You are correct on that one. Luckly you can always upgrade the drain tubes to a bigger tube and reroute to a less damaging location.

If your leads follow through shoot me a pm with some info and maybe we can work something out.

@MrFairlady
@fliprayzin240sx

You have it stacked somewhat in this order...

Top: Fiberglass Trim
Middle: Weatherstripping ( Seal)
Bottom: Glass

Heres a quick image. Sorry about the quality, My work computer only has paint.

The fiberglass trim is bonded to the glass itself and is not sold seperately by nissan, it ends up breaking off due to poor design and then your presented with the notorious issue. You have to purchase the whole sunroof from nissan if you want new trim (not sure if they are even doing it still) { even if they are its priced pretty high}.

The weatherstripping seal is replaceable and can be found at the nissan or ebay (usually people confuse it with the fiberglass trim ). But the design kind of requires both the trim and seal to properly assist in waterproofing the sunroof.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Yup I'm on the same boat then. My shits been leaking and I thought it was leaking around the rubber weatherstripping seal. I started noticing that the fiberglass trim is starting to separate off the glass on the corners. Now I'm thinking its coming thru there.

Figured I'll try to seal it first with some RTV or something. If that doesnt work...you think its possible to just put down a layer of fiberglass all across the glass? Basically fill the lower void that the glass makes on the trim, and just lay fiberglass all over it and waterproof the glass atleast.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 AM   #19
Louisville502

Louisville502 is an unknown quantity at this point
U can get fiber glass trim off a 1999 intergia Sun roof same thang will haft to cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbohn View Post
so looking at nissan it appears inorder to buy the fiberglass trim that covers the edge of glass and weatherstriping you must buy the entire roof assembly,,, anyone have one for sale? and or come up with a reasonable replacement or fix? I dont want to spend 1k for a new one nor do I want to weld the roof and paint.
u can get trim off a1999 intergia or it might be infinite
Louisville502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #20
Louisville502

Pretty sure it is infinite sun roof fiberglass pice u will haft to cut down then use 3 m tape to hold it down I know it works just did mine
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 AM   #21
Louisville502

This will save u a lot of money
Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 AM   #22
Louisville502

1999 infinite has same fiber glass pieces U will haft to cut down u can find this in any junk yard
Old 04-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #23
Louisville502

1999 infinite same thing just bigger u will haft to cut down

Last edited by Louisville502; 04-30-2015 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: Mis spell
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #24
Louisville502