Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
So I got a CNC machine at work...and made this!

I have been away from the 240sx scene for a long time, but recently started working at a wood shop in Hawaii. The owner's son has an S13 2JZ coupe and we came up with the idea of making some parts for cars using our huge CNC 4 axis router. Hoping to make some extra money as a side gig.

Its a machine designed for woods, plastics, softer materials. Not metal so we work with what we got. I have plans for forged carbon fiber wheels in the future, and hybrids but right now we are starting with wood.

I figured we could probably make steering wheels, shift knobs and some other simple items. This is what I came up with so far.

Solid hardwood steering wheel made from Sapele (an african tree with a great smell) It is strong, dense and looks beautiful. Thinking we could do customizable logos in place of the hawaii islands, which are resin filled. Nismo, Silvia, etc.

1) I know this is made from wood, I know wood is not the strongest material in the world. I know wood can break and splinter and if you run your car into a wall and crash you might break the steering wheel and smash your face into a sharp edge and die a horrible death. OK! Use at your own risk, or hand it on your wall as a art piece.
2) I did break a prototype model intentionally and found it it will hold about 150lbs of force in compression (pushing on it at 3 and 9 o'clock positions) I am modifying the geometry slightly and want to get it closer to 200lbs of force which is plently for normal use.
3) This is designed to be an aesthetic part that is unique and different. Its not designed to be the strongest wheel on the market. There are other steering wheels in the market like acrylic wheels, nylon wheels, all those cheap older NRG wheels and chinese wheels etc...this wheel will hold MORE force than some of those. But its not going to beat a high quality nardi, momo wheel or similar.

Ok obvious concerns aside!

video: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuYYS...RlODBiNWFlZA==