Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Jorg.V

Trader Rating: (0)
Jorg.V is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR intake cam deposits

I just bought a sr20 front clip and while replacing the gaskets I found a lot of deposit build up on the intake cam only. The exhaust cam is perfect with zero buildup. The deposits are black and not gooey but hard and crusty. Does anyone know what causes this?

Also, the intake cam lobes have a significant ridge(maybe 1.5mm high) on the edges like maybe rocker contact has worn down the lobe. The exhaust side doesn't have them. What would cause only one cam to wear like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR20DET 058.JPG (62.1 KB, 32 views)
Jorg.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg.V View Post
I just bought a sr20 front clip and while replacing the gaskets I found a lot of deposit build up on the intake cam only. The exhaust cam is perfect with zero buildup. The deposits are black and not gooey but hard and crusty. Does anyone know what causes this?

Also, the intake cam lobes have a significant ridge(maybe 1.5mm high) on the edges like maybe rocker contact has worn down the lobe. The exhaust side doesn't have them. What would cause only one cam to wear like this?
Not sure about the buildup. The cam lobe wear is probably due to improperly torqued cam caps, or someone reassembled the head without putting the shims back in the right spots.

Are the ridges on BOTH sides of the cam lobes, or only on the edge facing the front or the edge nearest the rear?

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Jorg.V

The ridges are on both side edges of the lobe and are about 1mm wide and 1.5mm tall. Where are the shims? I have a pic of the ridges but my attachment quota is maxed.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If the ridges appear even on both edges of the cam lobes, then the rocker arms are probably shimmed properly and contacting the cam lobes the right way.

Perhaps the deposits combined with the worn cams just mean that it's an old engine in need of some rebuilds and stuff.

I have OEM S13 SR cams in really good condition I cansell you if you want to put some better ones in (with no wear).

Let me know.

Also is this an S13 or S14 SR?

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
also have a stock intake cam in pretty good conditions for 20 bucks shipped so lmk if your considering buying a new cam.
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
that lobe looks ate the hell up, make sure you got oil puressure and oil flow throught the squirter
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
that's old crappy oil on the intake cam. probably due to a few irregular oil changes in that motors life. Change new cam squirters (order them from a 97 Sentra), pull that cam out, and try to clean as much of that shit oil as possible.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
that lobe looks ate the hell up, make sure you got oil puressure and oil flow throught the squirter
My thoughts exactly, since its on one side, I bet you have a gunked up oil rail (or what ever its called) The damage to the came lobe is likely due to lack of lubrication. Its crusty b/c it was baked on there when the cam shaft was blisteringly hot. When you replace that cam shaft, make sure you don't have journal damage. Its probably unlikely since they are lubricated from internal oil passages.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Jorg.V

Im pretty sure that's what it was. I removed the oil squirter tube and soaked it in brake cleaner then blew out all the gunk with an air nozzle. It was clogged pretty bad. I did the same with the other side too but it wasn't bad. The shop that I purchased the engine from is sending me another cam on monday. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg.V View Post
Im pretty sure that's what it was. I removed the oil squirter tube and soaked it in brake cleaner then blew out all the gunk with an air nozzle. It was clogged pretty bad. I did the same with the other side too but it wasn't bad. The shop that I purchased the engine from is sending me another cam on monday. Thanks for the help guys.
I hope they are sending you a new rocker arms too. They are gonna be equally torn up also
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote