Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Power steering reboot

So I'm slowly sourcing together a power steering system to replace the one that didn't come with my '91 hatch. I guess previous owner needed more hp and forearm workout on his way to work. Just missing all the lines and a few bolts so I'm halfway there I guess. My question is, since he also didn't cap off the inlet/outlet connections on the steering rack itself and there is quite a collection of road grime in there, what is the best way to flush the rack out? Do I need to remove it from the car to do it or could I put some sort of inline filter on it for a few hundred miles to catch it all? Or is it not that big of a deal, which I'm sure it is for the pumps sake. Just lookin for some guidance or ideas. Plus I haven't posted a question on here for a hot minute and I miss the smart assed, jackassery that comes from some of you guys so have at it.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Also is that power steering sensor necesary for it to work or is it there just to let you know if the fluid gets low? Just curious if I could run just the lines, simple and to the point.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
you can run the line without the sensor, the sensor is made to make you rev up when you're at full lock so you dont stall out. Also to flush the ps system, what you would have to do is, loosen one of the rack bolts that runs to the low power lines (there should be two, so obvi loosen the top one.) and have the front lifted up so you can turn the wheel side to side with ease, but when you're doing this make sure you have someone to watch over the level and dont let it drop so air doesnt get reintroduced into the system and when you fully flushed it, tighten up the bolt (dont know the correct term) and do a few more turns to be on the safe side.

This is what i think how you should do it, i been doing it like this no problem, unless someone actually knows and chimes in.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks hOngsterr, I really appreciate the answers. Sounds straight forward enough. Now if only it will go as easy as you explained.