Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-24-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
davidg410

Trader Rating: (0)
davidg410 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When u get an SR swap in say a 89 or 90 240. The insurance company will think ur car is worth about mmmm 2 or 3 grand when its really worth like 7. What happens if a jackass hits u and totals it, do u just get 2 or 3 grand or can u get special insurance coverage. Im tryin to convince my dad to let me get an older 240 instead of something newer that will be slow. He wont let me unless i have coverage for what is put into the car. And isnt the SR swap illegal, so how would i go about telling them that my motor is new..if it even matters.
davidg410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 12:42 AM   #2
IceTekGuy
Zilvia Junkie

IceTekGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
You bend over and just take it in the rear once the car is hit and totalled, and besides... how did you get the amount of the car being worth 7k$ after the swap...?
maybe about 5 and a half k... cars worth 2 k with high miles... sr motor 2,500$ and the swap... 1,000$...

its worth it though i think... ohh yea and what they dont know wont hurt them, dont let em know its a turbo motor, unless you have a visual inspection, then you... just adapt it to a regular header and  intake...
should be fine
IceTekGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:04 AM   #3
DuffMan
Post Whore!

DuffMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to DuffMan
If someone hits the car, buy it back and rip out the motor and put it in a different 240sx.

I think there are some insurance companies that specialize in custom cars and will let you insure it for higher amounts, but the rates are probably pretty steep.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
yenpit
Zilvia Addict

yenpit is an unknown quantity at this point
keep ALL ur receipts!!! cant stress that enough! some insurance companies will pay up to 80-90% of the  value of mods as long as you can show proof of purchase. no receipts, no payment! call ur insurer and ask if they cover upgrades, mods, etc. be vague with details. DONT tell em ur turbo'ing!!! just upgrading. unless they have a "restriction" in the contract, i believe they r obligated to cover something, but only if you have receipts. good luck.
yenpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
thewholefnshow
Zilvia Addict

thewholefnshow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to thewholefnshow
Most ppl I know don't bother saying they changed it... it would cost me like 1000$ extra a year... so screw that. I would just reswap or something like that. I dunno... I don't feel like telling the insurance company when I do mine. But I might just because I don't know what kind of trouble I would get in if I did total it and they found out...
thewholefnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:40 AM   #6
MorganS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MorganS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what if someone else hits u and damages any aftermarket parts?  their insurance company is required to pay for the modifications right?  also, if this happened would my insurance company find out about the additional modifications and charge me more?
MorganS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
alchemist
Zilvia Member

alchemist is an unknown quantity at this point
now if someone else hits your car, everything you have is required to be replaced, reciept or not.  You are entitled to have anything unduly taken from you replaced as would the case be if someone else was at fault in a car accident.....As for your own insurance, whatever contract you have with your insurance company defines what happens when you are at fault
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
vancouvers14
Zilvia Addict

vancouvers14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to vancouvers14
not true.  if you dont have receipts, you get nothing.  otherwise everyone would say they had $5K wheels that got stolen.

i know in my province, you get 5K worth of coverage for upgrade parts (with receipts).  however, theyll fight you on things like upgrade brakes by saying its essentially a stock replacement.
vancouvers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah - best advice is to look at your policy for what extra amount is covered and get a separate rider for other parts.  Mine covers $1K w/ reciepts, IIRC.  But a turbo or motor - many will drop you just for having it and others will jack your rates.  

Oh yeah - I've heard stories (none first hand) of insurance cos disputing claims b/c of the failure of the owner to mention the swap/turbo.  You should be able to win, but keep in mind that they may try to avoid coverage at all based on your material omission/misrepresentation.  
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:03 PM   #10
Tuck&Poke
Zilvia FREAK!

Tuck&Poke is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tuck&Poke Send a message via Yahoo to Tuck&Poke
in order for the insurance to cover mods you have to have the recipts.  theyll pay for all of it untill your coverage runs out.  they dont charge you extra for mods luckily.
Tuck&Poke is offline   Reply With Quote