Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Chicago
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chicago is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 S13 Radio Wiring and Cluster issue?

All photos what I am referring to are here

Picked up another 240, couldn't stay away. This one's special gift was the cluster not working and the radio wiring is maybe f***ked?

Im not good with wiring at all so any insight as to what should go where and how to get this back to normal? Or any other solutions.

The last photo is a black that when I took the kick panels off it was just chillin there not plugged into anything. Does anyone know what that should be plugged into?

Thanks in advance
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2022, 04:02 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The pictures won't load for me (Maybe its our terrible server at work) but from the thumbnail the last photo with the connecter in your hand looks like the OBD1 diagnostic port. So it doesn't plug into anything.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:32 AM   #3
Chicago
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
The pictures won't load for me (Maybe its our terrible server at work) but from the thumbnail the last photo with the connecter in your hand looks like the OBD1 diagnostic port. So it doesn't plug into anything.
Awesome good to know! I?m trying to tackle this whole gauge cluster not working but honestly think it may just be the cluster itself. Good to know I can rule that plug out
Old 04-01-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats more than likely it. Those clusters are garbage from the factory, let alone 30 years later.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #5
kennn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
kennn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Fear not. Your local wiring person is on the case.

1. That looks like a pignose. Can you confirm the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
the connecter in your hand looks like the OBD1 diagnostic port. So it doesn't plug into anything.
2. That black plug with the purple clips is indeed the Nissan Diagnostic Port (pre-cursor to the CONSULT port). It plugs into the (now defunct) Nissan inspection computer.

3. That white plug with arrows and the clear condom is the diodes for your cluster. Don't mess with it (unless it's damaged)

4. That black plug with 2 prongs is the OEM Nissan antenna. You'll need an adapter if you want to use a non-Nissan headunit

Your best bet is to return everything back to OEM and test for functionality.

Pull the cover for the underdash fusebox and check every single fuse for blown/missing fuses

Some of the radio connectors may still be available aftermarket from Metra. It will allow you to plug into the OEM radio, or you can make a patch harness that plugs in as if it were the OEM radio and then connect to whatever headunit you want.

Let me check my wiring diagrams...

Last edited by kennn; 04-01-2022 at 05:08 PM..
kennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Chicago
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennn View Post
Fear not. Your local wiring person is on the case.

1. That looks like a pignose. Can you confirm the year?
Legend, yup it is a pig nose the car is a 1990. I think I am gonna just set back to OEM And test function like you mentioned
Old 04-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #7
kennn
Zilvia Member

I got you.

Start by looking at the FSM wiring location:

http://www.modernclassicva.com/Zilvia/Harness2.jpg
http://www.modernclassicva.com/Zilvia/Harness1.jpg

M42 - the diode with the clear condom
M64 - blower relay
M30 - mode door motor
M31 - (you may have an extra black connector for the driver footwell light, mine is the base model so it didn't have one)

M37 - radio
M36 - radio
M39 - (optional) tape deck
M38 - (optional) tape deck

So right off the bat, I can see that your big blue connector M64 is cut. And then somebody used butt connector to hook the pink wire to thick black wire.

They shorted the pink wire to ground permanently so the blower motor will run all the time. You need to cut out that butt connector, and put the pink to pink, black to black on the M64 connector, and plug it into a big blue relay on the blower motor housing.

They may have done that as a fix for the blower motor resistor being busted (the fan switch 1-2-3 runs through the resistor to slow down the fan). If after fixing your fan switch only works on 4, then you need a new blower resistor.

At this point, I think you may have a blown fuse in your underdash fusebox. Check every fuse.

I also need pictures of your radio connector, M36/M37, and also M38/M39 if your car had cassette.

If your radio connectors are hacked up, you need to order this and make it look like mine: http://www.metraonline.com/part/71-1763

If you have a factory radio, then you can just plug it in. If not, then you need this so you can plug it in instead of the factory radio, and connect the 70series part to your headunit's harness: http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-1763

There are 2 connectors that you can't see with the dash in, M48/M47, one black, one white. You can see how it branches off from the picture. If any of the wire is cut along the way, that will mess up your cluster.

Last edited by kennn; 04-01-2022 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
Chicago
Leaky Injector

Thank you man im going to get the dash out of the car and dive into it, thank you for the help i'll post updates.

Side note I got a different cluster and all lights work except for Speedo,Temp and tach so I am gonna try to test for signal to the harness the cluster plugs into and hopefully trace something back
Old 04-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #9
kennn
Zilvia Member

What engine is this?
Old 04-02-2022, 11:18 PM   #10
Chicago
Leaky Injector