Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:01 AM   #1
Marphie21

Trader Rating: (0)
Marphie21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx Steering Rack

Hi there, I was just wondering if there was a well known, or reliable supply for 240sx steering racks. There are a bunch of used ones for sale, but of course they can be a hit or miss. Is there a reputable company selling refurbished racks, or even aftermarket items that we can use on our cars?

I seem to always get leaks on both ends of the rack (filling up the steering boots with power steering fluid). This happens for both "freshly refurbished" racks, and second hand OEM ones. If theres something that I might be doing wrong in terms of rack install or set-up please let me know also.
Marphie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
https://bespoke-motorsports.com/coll...=7144000552995

That's what I bought. I would have gone with this service from Koruworks, had I known about them, prior to my purchase.

https://koruworks.com/koruworks-prod...build-service/
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:50 AM   #3
Marphie21

Marphie21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks! Will look into this more. Maybe ill shoot kuroworks an email about rack reliability problems since they seem to have improved on the OEM item.
Marphie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marphie21 View Post
I seem to always get leaks on both ends of the rack (filling up the steering boots with power steering fluid). This happens for both "freshly refurbished" racks, and second hand OEM ones..
I've personally resealed my rack two years ago, three times in a span of a month because it keeps leaking from the end seals on first fill up & pressurized. I bought 3 sets of seals just to replace the end seals thinking maybe it was faulty. The third time didn't seal so I gave up and ran it leaking on the driver side end, but after 200 miles or so of driving and topping off with ATF, it stopped leaking. I'm guessing the ATF swelled the seal as well as the heat in the system contributed to it sealing as well. Either way, present day it still isn't leaking. No idea if you want to play Russian roulette with another rack but to be frank, rack removal takes less than an hour so I wouldn't mind trying one out.
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
autozone sells racks reman with a lifetime warranty
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marphie21 View Post
Thanks! Will look into this more. Maybe ill shoot kuroworks an email about rack reliability problems since they seem to have improved on the OEM item.
Sparkybuilt / @jmsixty3 on intagram is who builds the racks for Koruworks. You can deal with him directly if you want to send in your rack to get built.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
steveff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
steveff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sparkybuilt / @jmsixty3 on intagram is who builds the racks for Koruworks. You can deal with him directly if you want to send in your rack to get built.

I second this ^^^ he seems to be the go-to for a ton of people in recent history with A+ results. I have a few I?ll be sending him soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steveff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Anyone know where we can supply right-hand-drive S14 racks? :3
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
svotty122

svotty122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Anyone know where we can supply right-hand-drive S14 racks? :3
Where are you located

Sent from my TECNO CC7 using Tapatalk
svotty122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #10
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by svotty122 View Post
Where are you located

Sent from my TECNO CC7 using Tapatalk

MA/RI area. Willing to pay to ship if you aren't local, though.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #11
StorminMatt

StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Any idea how good the BBB steering rack sold by Rockauto is? At $277, it’s pretty cheap. But are you just buying garbage for that price?
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #12
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a BBB reman rack in my car. Bought it in 2019, no problems yet. Seems like a decent rebuild. Rockauto doesn't currently list it, I have part#3100116 (they now only have a new rack for 2ws, and a reman for HICAS).

YMMV but every reman rack for any car I've ever bought came in the same box. Obviously there's more than one company out there doing rack remans, maybe the box just comes preprinted like how every pizza place has the same boxes? Either way. Packaging and hardware looked exactly like the NAPA rack I put in my old CR-V.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #13
StorminMatt

StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m guessing that your experience with the refurbished stock rack probably does not apply to the (most likely Chinese made) new rack.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote