Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
SR SR20DET - Plugs/Gap/Copper/Iridium!

Been searching around, here, google, other random forums and it seems like people are all over the place with plugs and gaps to be used on the SR.

Some of the things I've read are that the copper perform better, yet need to be changed more often, the opposite with the Iridiums. Some say completely stay away from the platinum plugs as well.

Gap ranges. I am aware that it depends on the level of boost, but throughout my search people give a bunch of diff for the appropriate "stock" setting. Some being .025 all the way to .038

Reason being for this thread is that I'm currently running NGK Iridiums (BKR6EIX) at a gap of .025 but I'm thinking of going with the NGK copper (BKR6E) with a gap of .030. I think my .025 gap may be relating to my little bit of a stumble and bad fuel economy.

Discuss.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I use one just a little different, BKR7E.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i use NGK BKR7E on all of my modified engines. they are cheap and works really good. i have gone as low as .015 gap on one of my turbo engine that did not have an ignition amplifier. it got rid of the high boost misfire. i also use them on high comp and nitrous injected engines.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

89JDM240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
The NGK R7E's are a really good plug... .28 is a good yapping point.... If your running stock boost the plugs your using should be fine... If your higher than stock boost then try Copper plugs or the R7E's gapped at .28
89JDM240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

I'm thinking of going back up to .028 on my plugs actually, or all in all just picking up a pair of coppers. I'm just getting terrible fuel economy, and a little bit of a slight miss at idle, nothing to crazy like a full miss, or change in idle, but you can hear it in the exhaust and see it when viewing the motor. Was kind of curious if it was my plugs rather than o2 sensor cause I don't have a way to test that. Considering I'm running a fat o2 sensor on a 63 ecu may be my issue as well eh?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Stock is .030-.028. You gap them less if you start missing...like already stated, BCPR7ES. You can get a set of 10 for less than $20.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Stock is .030-.028. You gap them less if you start missing...like already stated, BCPR7ES. You can get a set of 10 for less than $20.

Yea, sitting at .025 right now, going to move my Iridiums up to .028 considering the still should be good and are only a year old.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
c-los13
Zilvia Junkie

c-los13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a misfire too, i dont think the o2 is causing that since ive had both blacktop and redtop harnesses in my car. Sorry i got no vlue what is it either
c-los13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Yea I have blacktop harness, blacktop o2, and redtop ecu 63, used to run a 62 and never had any issues
Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Pulled out the plugs today, Checked gap 3 were .030 and one was closer to 0.025 so I moved it closer to to the other ones.

All plugs looked the same, which all in all is good haha.

One question though. What would the orange be on the porcelain? Its on all 4

Old 08-03-2022, 12:21 AM   #11
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
I've run both copper core and iridium plugs in my SR20det, given the choice NGK iridium all the way. If i'm in a pinch Copper core NGK always get the job done they just don't last nearly as long as the Iridium core plugs.

S14 sr20det E85 16g turbo 19psi R35 coils
BKR7e I run .029"
BR7eix-11 I will leave them at the factory 1.1mm gap (.04") and they don't suffer from any spark blow out.

While i ran OEM SR20det coils i was gapped WAY down to 0.019" and it still struggled.
While i ran OEM K series coils i was able to get away with 0.025"

here is a helpful article for choosing SR20det spark plugs including the correct hear range, what gap to run and other coil options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdt65IIX3g

Last edited by tunermt; 01-13-2023 at 09:39 PM..
tunermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #12
astonmartian

Trader Rating: (1)
astonmartian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I?ve run the bk7re?s for about 30k miles on a bolt-on sr at 16lbs. Gapped at 0.28. Never had a need to change the setup. I do replace them every year or if I change something else on the motor, to get a fresh plug reading on the new setup/tune. Or before an event or rally just for fun, they?re $20?
astonmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:13 AM   #13
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelyphe View Post
One question though. What would the orange be on the porcelain? Its on all 4
It's called Corona Stain (seriously) and it's not a problem. It's just caused by static electricity burning up any oil or dirt at the base of the plug wire/coilpack boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvL7oisPn8Q
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
It's called Corona Stain (seriously) and it's not a problem. It's just caused by static electricity burning up any oil or dirt at the base of the plug wire/coilpack boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvL7oisPn8Q
This post is from 2012…
Old 11-13-2023, 05:13 AM   #15
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
This post is from 2012?
That spark plug question/discussion circles back time and time again :P
Old 11-13-2023, 05:17 AM   #16
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
I've run both copper core and iridium plugs in my SR20det, given the choice NGK iridium all the way. If i'm in a pinch Copper core NGK always get the job done they just don't last nearly as long as the Iridium core plugs.

S14 sr20det E85 16g turbo 19psi R35 coils
BKR7e I run .029"
BR7eix-11 I will leave them at the factory 1.1mm gap (.04") and they don't suffer from any spark blow out.

While i ran OEM SR20det coils i was gapped WAY down to 0.019" and it still struggled.
While i ran OEM K series coils i was able to get away with 0.025"

here is a helpful article for choosing SR20det spark plugs including the correct hear range, what gap to run and other coil options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdt65IIX3g
Been running a set of bkr9eix (had extras from an RB) the past 9 months and while I normally run a heat range 7 in this SR the 9?s have been identical to the 7s based on datalogs.