Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-13-2022, 05:30 AM   #31
blankblank

Trader Rating: (0)
blankblank is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Literally just that. It adapts from the 5 bolt flange, to vband for ease of serviceability.
I should have asked who makes it, is it being sold
blankblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2022, 06:04 AM   #32
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankblank View Post
I should have asked who makes it, is it being sold
Does Canada not have google? What fucking year is it?

tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:24 AM   #33
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
:WAVE:

Picked up a 22-350. going to be popping it on a s14 sr20de with MHG/studs, 740's and flex fuel. Will report back when there are numbers.
Did you ever get this installed? One of my clients just brought me one to install and I?m curious about a few things.

1: it def needs to be re-clocked, both so that the compressor outlet points the same direction as a normal t25/28, but also so that the chra oil drain is on the bottom instead of on the side

2: the WG actuator uses a bent rod instead of a straight rod, how did you orient it so everything lines up correctly? I can?t see how it would work without chopping the rod and welding it back together, or somehow twisting the rod in the diaphragm housing, which I?m reluctant to try.
3: did you have to weld an extension on to the compressor outlet? I?m reluctant to put a silicone coupler that close to the manifold

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #34
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Mark has a picture on his instagram of the turbo on the manifold mounted on the SR, but I don't see any lines hooked up, yet.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #35
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Mark has a picture on his instagram of the turbo on the manifold mounted on the SR, but I don't see any lines hooked up, yet.
do you know their IG?

Quote:
Old 09-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #36
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Did you ever get this installed? One of my clients just brought me one to install and I?m curious about a few things.

1: it def needs to be re-clocked, both so that the compressor outlet points the same direction as a normal t25/28, but also so that the chra oil drain is on the bottom instead of on the side

2: the WG actuator uses a bent rod instead of a straight rod, how did you orient it so everything lines up correctly? I can?t see how it would work without chopping the rod and welding it back together, or somehow twisting the rod in the diaphragm housing, which I?m reluctant to try.
3: did you have to weld an extension on to the compressor outlet? I?m reluctant to put a silicone coupler that close to the manifold
I did!
It definitely had to be reclocked. I had to twist the WG rod a hair, and it is maxed out on its adjuster (as I have it installed). I used a t28 drain that i had to modify a bit. I am going with a silicone 90 out of the outlet for now. I am a bit hesitant on that as well, but worst case I will just weld a 90 on to the outlet. Shoot me a message on IG @krustycoupe and I can send you some pictures. Havent had time to host images.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #37
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Very excited to see someone get one of these tuned.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #38
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
GBC-350 vs GTX2860

Old 10-13-2022, 01:50 PM   #39
brndck
Premium Member

Just some info I came across during my struggle installing this.

1: turbo doesn't come with fittings for oil feed or drain

2:customer bought a ISR stainless line kit from enjuku. I've used this same kit before on s14/15 t28. The fitting is too large to thread into the chra on the turbo.

3: bought a fitting from ATP they say will fit this turbskee. It does thread into the turbo, but the other side (where the oil line threads on) is too large. The fitting size on the ATP fitting is -4AN but the oil feed line fitting is -3AN. Fortunately for me, Earls fittings is right down the road and they were able to get me the following:

Correct size is 10x1 to -3AN

XRP 420133 is the correct part #. Earls sells them for $11 and it comes as a pack of 2, even tho you only need one.

I still do not have an answer back from Garrett regarding if the turbo requires a restrictor/what size it should be. Since it's a journal bearing turb, I assume no, but they should be providing this info on their site, or at least answering their emails. BorgWarner has all this info clearly listed on their site for all the EFR turbos. Restrictor size (built in), fitting sizes, bolt hole sizes, etc.

4: oil drain. I bought a s14/15 turbo oil drain and basically had to cut it, spin the flange 180*, and re-weld it. The drain was hitting the back of the compressor housing, on one of the bolts. I'll post video later on when I'm finished with the whole project.

Silicone couplers should be here in the next few days, then hopefully it will be ready for the Dyno. So far this install has been death by 1000 papercuts. Every simple little thing becomes another issue.

Quote:

Last edited by brndck; 10-13-2022 at 02:22 PM..
Old 10-13-2022, 02:02 PM   #40
brndck
Premium Member

Man I hate Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 10-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #41
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Not sure where you got that oil drain, but it looks ass regardless haha.

Yeah, this is definitely not plug n' play. My oil feed line is -4 from DIF, so that's interesting that ISR does a -3. The factory banjo bolt on journal bearing OEM Nissan turbos is a 1.4mm restrictor, so that might be something to think about.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #42
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Not sure where you got that oil drain, but it looks ass regardless haha.

Yeah, this is definitely not plug n' play. My oil feed line is -4 from DIF, so that's interesting that ISR does a -3. The factory banjo bolt on journal bearing OEM Nissan turbos is a 1.4mm restrictor, so that might be something to think about.
oil drain. For $22 i can't be mad
https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...BoCKCcQAvD_BwE

i'll def be measuring the port size of all fittings and see if garrett ever replies (seriously i've sent 5 emails to them already)

ATP does also sell a banjo bolt setup for this turbo that is -4AN as well. I thought about going that route, and having a new line made all in -4AN, but it would just add more to this customers cost, with no benefit.
https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=GBC

Quote:
Old 11-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #43
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
quick bump.
No dyno info yet, scheduled on the 9th of this month so i'll report back in a week or so.

Here's some pictures of the turbo mounted up.
OEM manifold, tomei outlet. Used a oem t28 drain that i had to cut and shorten/clock.

Drove it around last night for a little last night, and I have no frame of reference as I haven't driven a turbo SR car in some time, but it seems to come on at 3-3.2k rpm.

I'll post once i have some dyno numbers. Simple setup, 740cc injectors, e85, and the supporting mods. Unopened s14 sr20de with nistune.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #44
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

WE HAVE SOME NUMBERS!

S14 SR20DE - unopened
Garrett GBC22-350
GRIMSPEED gate lockout kit
OEM exhaust manifold with TurboSmart 40 compgate
DW 740cc injectors
Z32 n62 MAFs
TOMEI turbo outlet to HKS hi power
FMIC
NISTUNE by RSEnthalpy

324hp/267tq @ 0.9bar on e85
20deg base timing

Does pretty good! Definitely peppy and responsive. We had creeping with the internal gate, would hold 10-11psi til about 5500rpm and then run away. Got the compgate put on and have zero issues holding boost now. Creep could have been due to a factor of things, I'd be interested to see how it does on a pump gas, fairly stock setup. For the price of the turbo, I think its a great option.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:48 AM   #45
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Nice and linear, should keep that thing alive for a while. Awesome graph for sure. (PS. Surprised you actually updated this so fast, lmao)
Old 12-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #46
AMD 240
Leaky Injector

AMD 240 will become famous soon enoughAMD 240 will become famous soon enoughAMD 240 will become famous soon enoughAMD 240 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AMD 240
You would most likely get rid of boost creep and gain a bit more up top with a proper exhaust manifold. Powerband looks pretty good tho still.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #47
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD 240 View Post
You would most likely get rid of boost creep and gain a bit more up top with a proper exhaust manifold.
I think SR's can just outflow most internal wastegate designs. Jimmy Oakes had quite a few creep issues with internal gates.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #48
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
I think SR's can just outflow most internal wastegate designs. Jimmy Oakes had quite a few creep issues with internal gates.
he's also running a DE engine (higher compression than DET) and E85.
E85, as we all know, allows you to run a hell of a lot more aggressive timing compared to pump gas, and while i don't have hard data to back this up, i feel that its contributing to overwhelming the IWG.

Having said that, i just finished installing a GBC22-350 on a customers car (unopened sr20det, ISR FMIC, R35 maf, walbro fuel pump, brand new Nismo 740cc injectors, powerFC, stock manifold, ISR elbow and downpipe, idk what exhaust it is but its 3") and have dyno time scheduled this week with Koji Arai, so we'll see if we run into similar issues. We'll also be on pump gas, and just the 1bar IWG spring, no boost controller yet.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #49
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
E85, as we all know, allows you to run a hell of a lot more aggressive timing compared to pump gas, and while i don't have hard data to back this up, i feel that its contributing to overwhelming the IWG.

Having said that, i just finished installing a GBC22-350 on a customers car (unopened sr20det, ISR FMIC, R35 maf, walbro fuel pump, brand new Nismo 740cc injectors, powerFC, stock manifold, ISR elbow and downpipe, idk what exhaust it is but its 3") and have dyno time scheduled this week with Koji Arai, so we'll see if we run into similar issues. We'll also be on pump gas, and just the 1bar IWG spring, no boost controller yet.
Hell yeah! hoping it goes well for you, excited to see what it makes!

I'm sure the comp ratio, cams, and e85/timing didn't help me with the creep. The response on the turbo is fantastic, had a track day this past saturday and it did very good. No need to clutch kick, and if i fall out of boost a bit i roll into the throttle and it lights back up. I'm happy with it.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #50
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

Thats awesome, I haven't heard of Koji Arai in a long time.... Where does he work out of now? I wish there was some sort of dynapak vs. dyno dynamics vs. mustang dyno differences.

On my GT2871R .86 ar with HKS Step 1 cams, I barely made 330WHP on a dynodynamics....

What WHP do we thinking on a mustang or dyndynamics dyno on this turbo?
Old 12-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #51
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Thats awesome, I haven't heard of Koji Arai in a long time.... Where does he work out of now?
he never really went away, he's been at a shop called autotalent for years and years and years, but their clientele is more Lambo/Bmw/Exotics, not the same as when he was at driftspeed. Fortunately for me, AutoTalent is only like 2.5 miles from MY shop.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #52
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Thats awesome, I haven't heard of Koji Arai in a long time.... Where does he work out of now? I wish there was some sort of dynapak vs. dyno dynamics vs. mustang dyno differences.

On my GT2871R .86 ar with HKS Step 1 cams, I barely made 330WHP on a dynodynamics....

What WHP do we thinking on a mustang or dyndynamics dyno on this turbo?
tough call but probaby about 280ish at that boost on dynodynamics
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:03 AM   #53
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
I wish there was some sort of dynapak vs. dyno dynamics vs. mustang dyno differences.
Not to take away from Marks thread but, THIS is exactly why my car didn't go on a dyno for a long, long time. Number is irrelevant. Graph is all that matters.

I saw the video Mark put on fb last night of the car on the dyno. I bet its a fucking hoot.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:08 AM   #54
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
WE HAVE SOME NUMBERS!

S14 SR20DE - unopened
Garrett GBC22-350
GRIMSPEED gate lockout kit
OEM exhaust manifold with TurboSmart 40 compgate
DW 740cc injectors
Z32 n62 MAFs
TOMEI turbo outlet to HKS hi power
FMIC
NISTUNE by RSEnthalpy

324hp/267tq @ 0.9bar on e85
20deg base timing

Does pretty good! Definitely peppy and responsive. We had creeping with the internal gate, would hold 10-11psi til about 5500rpm and then run away. Got the compgate put on and have zero issues holding boost now. Creep could have been due to a factor of things, I'd be interested to see how it does on a pump gas, fairly stock setup. For the price of the turbo, I think its a great option.

That thing looks incredibly linear, which is quite surprising to me. Are you feeding in duty cycle as the rpm goes up to keep it at the same boost? Did you drive it on the street at all after the run?

This does indeed seem to be an GT2560r on crack.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #55
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
That thing looks incredibly linear, which is quite surprising to me. Are you feeding in duty cycle as the rpm goes up to keep it at the same boost? Did you drive it on the street at all after the run?

He drove it too and from the dyno and the drift day. From what he's told me it drives perfect. (We talk just about everyday in a group chat). He hasn't had any issues besides the creep.

Now he needs to stop being scared and turn it back up to 17psi where martin did 1 pull lol.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #56
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Not to take away from Marks thread but, THIS is exactly why my car didn't go on a dyno for a long, long time. Number is irrelevant. Graph is all that matters.

I saw the video Mark put on fb last night of the car on the dyno. I bet its a fucking hoot.
I agree, but depends what you are doing. Not always the efficiency chart is the same as real world correlations. There are certain goals I want, but also how the power comes on... is just as important. Also numbers do dictate what components you put in the car on the project
Old 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #57
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

It moves nice!

Quote:

I believe that is how its being done (tuner did his thing). I drove it 1.5hrs home after the dyno session, and the response is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
He drove it too and from the dyno and the drift day. From what he's told me it drives perfect. (We talk just about everyday in a group chat). He hasn't had any issues besides the creep.

Now he needs to stop being scared and turn it back up to 17psi where martin did 1 pull lol.
mannnnn, it was spicy at 17psi LOL
Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #58
brndck
Premium Member

NEW Garrett GBC22-300/350: Ultra-high response S15 turbo killer?

UMKAYSO.
(Dyno video on my IG https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl3utWZL...d=YWJhMjlhZTc= )

After working on Jon's car for eleven billion years, finally made it over to autotalent to visit Koji Arai for the evening. Very impressed with the final numbers 275 whp 266 ft lbs.

Initially there was concern, boost kicks in quickly, making a full 1bar by 3500rpm, but was running away to 17.5-18psi, it appears that the stock WG can't keep up, but we were not knocking and had plenty of Inj duty cycle available, so Koji felt safe to do power pulls.

So far the only other person I know running this turbo had the exact same issue (mark/krustycoupe). They switched to external gate and it is resolved.
(Thank you again mark for the info and advice!)

Overall i'm very impressed with the turbo, great response, this is gonna be a ripper, even on shitty CA 91octane. A 275whp s13 is a very fun street car. Initially Jon brought his car to me since "his mechanic" told him the cause of his black smoke out the tailpipe was low compression, i checked it and it was 165-170 across the board. His stock t25 was pissing oil and the wheel had hella play tho. He was obv very relieved the engine wasn't the culprit, but he didn't want to go all out with something crazy, wanted to stay relatively simple. T28 options were discussed, and i pointed him in the direction of this turbo. I was hoping it would be an easier install, but as i mentioned before, having to clock it, dealing with oil line fitting issues, making the ISR fmic piping match up, all very time consuming stuff compared to how easy a s14/15 turbo bolts in with a clocking kit. Once we settled on that turbo, it was a whole lot of "well if im doing this, i should do that at the same time", and so we ended up with new injectors, a fmic, power FC, r35 maf, etc. IMO its a great reliable combo for a car that will be 95% street car, 5% drift car.

We will revisit later on once a Apexi head gasket and some head studs, and an external WG and boost controller (and prob some pon cams) are installed. There is def more power to be made in the upper rpm range (and across the board) but I'm impressed with how much power was made with such a basic setup. Parts list below.

Parts:
Unopened s13 redtop sr20det
Apexi Power FC
Garrett GBC22-350 w/1bar WG spring
Brand new Nismo 740cc injectors
ISR FMIC
HKS SSQV BOV
Apexi intake pipe and filter, and maf adaptor pipe
R35 maf
Walbro 255 fuel pump
isr turbo elbow and down pipe
3" exhaust

Pink line is boost.
Yellow is TQ
Blue is HP
Other line is AFR

Quote:
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #59
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Those are good numbers! Glad to help.
I agree with it being a bit of a pain to install, but it is definitely a good option at its price point, for a street car.