Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #61
TURBI
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TURBI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's a faq: What 1/4 times do you get with those v8's in your 240's?
TURBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #62
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I fully expect 11.5 @ 128 in the 1320.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #63
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Well a stock bodied FD with full interior and dot approved tires with a stock
ls1 that had only intake, headers, and exhaust has gone 11.80s
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #64
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
drag radial?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #65
RightWheelDrive
Zilvia Member

RightWheelDrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
Well a stock bodied FD with full interior and dot approved tires with a stock
ls1 that had only intake, headers, and exhaust has gone 11.80s

^^^^ street tires im guessin
Old 05-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #66
Lordrandall
Zilvia Member

Lordrandall is making a name for him/her selfLordrandall is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to Lordrandall Send a message via AIM to Lordrandall Send a message via MSN to Lordrandall Send a message via Yahoo to Lordrandall
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard
Hi guys,

You all should really check out what's going on over at LS1tech.com. I go by GIGAPUNK over there if you ever have any questions.
Hey, I've seen your posts over on LS1 as well as Freshalloy. It looks like using the R33 x-member makes it much easier for headers to fit.

I'll be doing this swap in the future. Maybe after my kids are out of daycare.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #67
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Luke, ur the pimp. Im fully serious about doing an LS1 swap now. My redneck domestic friend used to always talk about LS1 motors in 240s but i never took it into serious consideration. I've already made arangements to sell my SR20 lol. 4 bangers suck.

So is the conversion kit ready to sell as of now? I dont really plan on doing the swap for another few months tho, but im pretty serious about doing it. All i need is the custom header, mounting kit, and drive shaft correct? Are you guys going ot have more detailed wiring info in the future?

Thanks,
John
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #68
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

snatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfection
So anyone have any info on Nissan V8 swaps such as the vh's or vk's? Been doing some research, but I'm curious to know if anyone on here has done these swaps.
snatch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #69
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

http://members.iinet.net.au/~dcollin....au/silfiniti/

He makes it sound a little slow, but slicks and an intake sticking thru the hood always makes me smile
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #70
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard
http://members.iinet.net.au/~dcollin....au/silfiniti/

He makes it sound a little slow, but slicks and an intake sticking thru the hood always makes me smile
That dude is on an automatic and VH41 though.

Shop in florida is did a VH45 with a Z32 trans in their hatch, it sounds fucking sex.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #71
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

I'm starting my project next Monday!!!
Just drove my '98 s14 se for the first time yesterday.
Now I know why 240s are the 'Masters of Dorifto' choice!
This thing is hell for fun. I'm going to take it down to Sacramento Drag Races tonight for some base runs before I yank out the KA next week. I also picked up a canton road race pan for my LS1. By my rough measurements it should help me out so that I only have to set the firewall back about 4" now. I'll take some pictures with some more serious measurements next week.
Anyone think I can break 15s tonight?!
Toss me a PM if you're going to be at Sac tonight.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #72
Jonas427
Leaky Injector

Jonas427 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Sounds great. Keep us updated.
Jonas427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #73
evo_dadi

evo_dadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to evo_dadi
has anybody done this swap in norcal??i would be really interested on checking it out if you do
evo_dadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #74
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
I have done it in an fd. I am located in san jose.

We are currently looking for a s13 coupe shell to do the conversion if anyone has one.

We are also for hire to do the swap for you. Pm us for details.

Luke
Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #75
evo_dadi

evo_dadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to evo_dadi
ahh nice!!ive seen another fd with an ls1 swap already down here and met the person but i forgot his name.but shoot me a pm about swap for hire ill try to hit you up on aim later also if possible.
evo_dadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #76
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
luke I'm unable to PM you, how ever how much would a typical swap cost, with radiator, fuel, clutch, and associated proper mods. for a basic LS1 with T5 tranny, also what is the top speed on them since the nissan's have different ratio ring and pinons??

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #77
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
For many of us putting a vette engine into our S13's is way out of price range. A ford 302 would be MUCH MUCH less expensive. Its reliable, parts are cheap, and theres probaly more aftermarket parts then any other engine. 302's can be had for anywere from free to a couple hundred dollers. It may screw up the handling, but it wouldnt be that bad with some suspension tuning. It takes 300hp to the wheels in a fox body mustang to drop into high 12's in the 1/4mile, and they are 500lbs heavier then S13. With traction, what is it going to take an S13 to hit high 12's? Intake manifold, exhaust, maybe a cam for mid 12's? Bang for your buck, I beleive the 302 is the way to go. I'd love to have that mustang sound and power, but at the same time, not actually have to own a mustang.

Any plans for a Ford V8 kit, for those of us that can afford to swap in a vette motor?
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #78
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
A Stock 302 barely makes 176hp to the wheels stock. 190hp with all the bolt ons. You need to add Heads, Intake Manifold and a Cam to get to 300hp. The that puts you into the price range of a LS1 that makes more HP than that stock and even more with bolt ons down the road. Sorry, I played the mustang game for many years before I got the 240. The returns aren't that great.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #79
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

Junkyard 302 with a basic rebuild (done by yourself),Heads, cam and an intake manifold dont cost anywere near the amount the amount a stock LS1 would cost. It took me 800$ in new/used engine parts to run 12.8 in an 83 GLX, I did have to do alot of other things to the car but it was only around a grand for any engine work. It cost me 200$ for the motor so thats 1000$ total. Or even easier, buy a slightly used supercharger setup for a grand or so, I beleive my friend made over 250hp to the wheels on a vortec supercharger he bought off ebay for under a grand. Bang for your buck, LS1 cant touch the 302. Even if a stock 302 only makes 176hp to the wheels, its still got a shitload more torque and probaly 50hp more to the wheels then a stock KA. Most likely be more reliable then the KA as well. With another grand in modifications, easily low 12's minimum. The only kit I would buy, woould be for the ford 302
Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #80
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Are you talking Carbs? or EFI? Cause I'm sure I could whip together a 350 SBC from the junkyard that can put out more for the same $.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #81
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

im talking about EFI. I'd have no problem using a 350 SBC but would they use the same mounts as a LT1 or LS1? I do like ford better then chevy, but whatevers cheap and easy i'll take it. I would most likely go carburated 350 if the LT1/LS1 mounts are the same as the older 350. I'd still be interested in finding out if there are any plans for mounts to use a Ford 302.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #82
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
There are quite a few reasons for using a LS1.

-1hp & 1lb.-ft. of torque per cubic inch displacement.
-128lbs. lighter than the KA
-with a T56 you now have 6 gears.
-the LS1 is one of the best small block v8's (this is my opinion based on what I have read, seen, and heard about), you got the refinement, technology that is reliable, durability, fuel efficent, good emissions, capable of making high hp with minimal modifications, or running low 12's in the 1/4 mile completly stock.

I believe it has a lot to do with preference and what you want to work on or what you want from the car. There are so many options for the 240SX which is why I love this car. Everything from NA KA power, KA-T, SR, RB, Nissan V6's, Nissan V8's, Toyota V8's, LS1's, Ford 302's. I have decided to use the LS1 because of its performance and basically bang for the buck after looking into half of those options.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #83
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

my point was, alot of us cant afford ls1 engines, thats why most of us here drive stock S13s with stock KAs the 302 is a cheap easy way to gaining over 100ft lbs of torque. That much torque in a 2700lbs car is going to be alot of fun. Basicly the mount kit plus 300$ for the engine is what the swap would cost and extra for whatever else u want to do. For the LS1 its going to cost the mount kit plus around 4000$ for the engine. Not many of us can afford that. It would absolutly be worth it tho. But if the LS1 uses the same mounts as a old 350 SBC, i would quit bitching about a cheaper alternative to the LS1, because that would be that cheaper alternative.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #84
nissan89sx

nissan89sx is an unknown quantity at this point
what has to be done to the chassis to make it so it does not bend or flex under torque loads?...im considering doing this after i get outta tech school just seeing what has to be done to the body and frame structure as that is where i will be starting
nissan89sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #85
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan89sx
what has to be done to the chassis to make it so it does not bend or flex under torque loads?...im considering doing this after i get outta tech school just seeing what has to be done to the body and frame structure as that is where i will be starting
Ah, the wonders of IRS...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #86
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Questions about smog legality in CA. Will you (Luke) be able to modify/update/retrofit the LSx's evap equipment allowing it to properly pass state ref?
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 AM   #87
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ranger2339
How about the new GTO ls2 can that be put in just as easy as the ls1 from a z28 etc.?? I have a great hook up on a GTO ls2 set up, thats the route im going if it will work with the hinson kit, headers and DS..

Very good info here....

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #88
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Yes the LS2 will fit. It has the same external dimensions as the LS1, as does the LS6 and LS7. The difference is in the internals. The LS2 s typically more expensive than the LS1 just because it is a newer and more powerful engine. But since you say you have a hook-up, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #89
bigJ86
Leaky Injector

bigJ86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bigJ86
Quote:
A Stock 302 barely makes 176hp to the wheels stock. 190hp with all the bolt ons. You need to add Heads, Intake Manifold and a Cam to get to 300hp. The that puts you into the price range of a LS1 that makes more HP than that stock and even more with bolt ons down the road. Sorry, I played the mustang game for many years before I got the 240. The returns aren't that great.

sorry buddy they make like 190hp give or take a few.... they were rated 225hp from factory with 300tq..... 175hp ..... must have been one wore out 302...... just exhust mods and intake on a 302 can put it into 220 to the rear wheels( i know i dynoed that on my 91 mustang)... the only reson they dyno low for a V8 is due to shitty heads and intake... change those out your good to go.

i would like to know when they will have a 302 kit for the s13 i think it would be a great swap and want to see a kit for it soon....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #90
Lost_DriFter
Leaky Injector

Lost_DriFter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lost_DriFter
im not sure if someone posted this already but what if u put a 4.6 mustang motor in an s13 how would i go about this...or has anyone done this b4??

Lost_DriFter
Lost_DriFter is offline   Reply With Quote