Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #91
bigJ86
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
bigJ86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bigJ86

the 4.6 is much larger then the 302... and the heads are also very wide.. do to the fact the 4.6L are shoc and dohc engines.....

(sorry for small pic)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #92
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Mod motor would be way to wide.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #93
bigJ86
Leaky Injector

weight for a 302 with iron heads is around 460-480lbs + t-5 transmission is 85 lbs

so a 302 with tranny is 545-565 wich is lighter then a KA with auto tranny......
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 PM   #94
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Wow, I never realized how wide the 4.6 is.

Quote:
so a 302 with tranny is 545-565 wich is lighter then a KA with auto tranny
Does that include exhaust manifolds and all accessories? Cause I just don't see how a iron block & iron head v8 weighs less than a 4 cyl with aluminum head...
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #95
bigJ86
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Does that include exhaust manifolds and all accessories? Cause I just don't see how a iron block & iron head v8 weighs less than a 4 cyl with aluminum head...
ok i just did a lil more searching...... a 302 long block..... weight is 460 lbs....... so with all the accessories.... will be about the same weight as a KA... wich aint bad since it dose have iron heads stock...... just switch to aluminum heads, and u will save 50lbs and gain about 40hp.....
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #96
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ranger2339
Man the 03 cobra motor would be sick to put in a 240...

on another note i just placed my order with Hinson and will be getting all my install kit,cooling,tuned ECU, fuel system,exhaust and driveshaft...
Everything i need to get my LS1 into my coupe..

Ax
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #97
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
on another note i just placed my order with Hinson and will be getting all my install kit,cooling,tuned ECU, fuel system,exhaust and driveshaft...
Keep us updated...I'm waiting till next summer to order all my stuff for my coupe.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #98
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2339
Man the 03 cobra motor would be sick to put in a 240...

Ax
How much did all that run you?
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #99
ferris

ferris is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ferris
what about tool requirements for the swap, would you need more tools because of fabrication needs and other differences then from say, an SR swap? Also, how much modifying and fabrication needs to be done if you buy the complete kit?
ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #100
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Only fabrication is modifying your subframe. You could just go to the website and find out for yourself. www.hinsonsupercars.com
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #101
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Thanks barry.

If you dont have a welder and all that jazz you can just order a complete swap kit including the x member. If you do it that way it is easy. You dont even need to cut the chassis like a sr swap. Just throw it in, and you can light em up at 120mph.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #102
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
Thanks barry.

If you dont have a welder and all that jazz you can just order a complete swap kit including the x member. If you do it that way it is easy. You dont even need to cut the chassis like a sr swap. Just throw it in, and you can light em up at 120mph.
man...I wish. So the most expensive thing is the engine themselves? (assuming lsx)

Looks to be a $6k-7k swap total.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #103
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
You gota pay to play man.

You can have a 300 whp sr that needs frequent maintence, rebuilds, blown turbos, etc.

Or you could pay double and have a 350hp 350 tq motor that is smog legal and all it needs is an oil change here and there.

And it gets you laid.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 AM   #104
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
You gota pay to play man.

You can have a 300 whp sr that needs frequent maintence, rebuilds, blown turbos, etc.

Or you could pay double and have a 350hp 350 tq motor that is smog legal and all it needs is an oil change here and there.

And it gets you laid.
LOOOL Yeah, Im not knocking it at all. Hell, if I had the extra cash, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It's just fucking impossible to do (in my situation) without a real full-time job. Im starting a temp full-time job (co-op).

I can't imagine what'd it feel like to have a NA monster and dont even had to mod it at all.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 AM   #105
blu808
Post Whore!

From what i have found, craigslist is a good way to make money. Just become a jig like me.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #106
ferris

ferris is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ferris
can this swap really be done for 6-7k? i thought it would be closer to 10-11k for the whole thing....i guess it depends on engine cost and whether or not you buy the kits.
ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #107
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
It really depends on the engine you use and where you get it from. You can dig an LS1 out of a junkyard and hope it was well treated before and only pay $3000 or so. You can also go the crate engine route, which is much more expensive but reliability is awesome. Personally I have found a LS2 crate engine that makes 510hp and 480ft. lbs at the crank. It also costs $10,000 and it's brand spankin new. I've got alot of saving to do if I want to go that route.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #108
Jonas427
Leaky Injector

Jonas427 has a little shameless behavior in the past
How about this. Using all Hinson parts, how much will it cost to get everything you need, excluding the engine and transmission?
Jonas427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #109
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
for the 5.0 swap, dosent the mustang use a cable instead of a hydrolic system for the clutch. How would that work? Im not positive but I beleive the z31 uses the same tranny as the 5.0 but it may be hydrolic. Who is producing the 5.0 swap kit, hinson supercars? or was it another company? And when is the expected release date?
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #110
Fat Felix
Zilvia Addict

Fat Felix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fat Felix
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinrekka
for the 5.0 swap, dosent the mustang use a cable instead of a hydrolic system for the clutch. How would that work?
same question!

Not sure if I am remembering correctly.. but didn't the turbo thunderbird's use a t-5 but with a hydro clutch? If that part is true, can you use the bell housing off the t-bird and put it on the t-5 from the mustang? OR just use the t-5 from the t-bird altogether?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #111
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas427
How about this. Using all Hinson parts, how much will it cost to get everything you need, excluding the engine and transmission?
Did you even bother to check out www.hinsonsupercars.com to check the prices out?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #112
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

What would be the advantages of using a 5.0L sbf instead of the 5.7L sbc?

Chevy
-driveablility, fuel injected, all alluminum (light weight), tunability, responds well to mods, 350hp/350tq stock, paired with a 6 speed manual tranny. There are probably some points missing, but the cost of engine and tranny is the downfall. (This is all my opinion...)

I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right and from the research I have done, my choice is the LSx. The cost I have worked out is about $6000 with the Hinson goods, and doing the work myself...So including the price of my car thats $7000 spent, but there is still suspension and a lot of other things that add up.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #113
Fat Felix
Zilvia Addict

Fat Felix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fat Felix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240
What would be the advantages of using a 5.0L sbf instead of the 5.7L sbc?
initial cost.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #114
Jonas427
Leaky Injector

Jonas427 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Did you even bother to check out www.hinsonsupercars.com to check the prices out?
Don't be an ass. Yes I checked them out, but I bet there is more involved that just what is listed.

A mod should delete my question and your useless comment, so that this thread doesn't get cluttered.
Jonas427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #115
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
um, he is a mod.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #116
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Check out the F.A.Q. section on www.hinsonsupercars.com They cover all the Frequently Asked Questions, imagine that.

Why should I delete your questions? Hopefully it will help other people to not ask the same questions and follow the links provided first.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #117
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Check out the F.A.Q. section on www.hinsonsupercars.com They cover all the Frequently Asked Questions, imagine that.

Why should I delete your questions? Hopefully it will help other people to not ask the same questions and follow the links provided first.
Good job on not replying with flames and/or immature shit.

ThatGuy, what would YOU do as far as chassis stiffening? (Sorry if this was covered prior to this post, I don't remember reading it)
Old 08-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #118
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

I'm planning on running a custom cage. I'll decide after that's in, what other chassis bracing I feel the car needs. I've almost got the suspension where I'd like it. No sense in dropping in all that power if the car still handles like stock.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #119
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
so what about the release of the 5.0 swap kit
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #120
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ranger2339
Hinson Super Cars

247 McCutcheon Road Phone: (205) 887.5161
Lacey's Spring, AL 35754 E-mail: [email protected]

ORDER FORM

AC & PS $0.00 Date: 8/11/2006
Electrical $610.00
Engine Build $0.00 Customer: Josh Axel
Fuel & Cooling $1,250.00 Triple Six Drift Team
Hydraulics $0.00
Intake & Exhaust $985.00 [email protected]
Performance $0.00
Labor $0.00
Misc. Items $0.00
Motor & Transmission
Mounting Equipment $1,633.30
Nitrous Systems $0.00
Turbo Sys. $0.00

Subtotal $4,478.30
Estimated Car Purchase
Shipping & Handling

Current Balance
Total Balance Due $4,478.30

*Current pricing for June 2006

I got a complete order form from brain hinson, he is very easy to work with..

Here is what i have so far...

I have a spread sheet but dont know how to post it!!

Ax
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote