Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #61
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hm..
i dont see any metallic anywhere.
maybe im blind, haha :P
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #62
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
im not speaking about his paint, im talking about in general
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #63
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the metallic would be in the paint...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #64
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDACEX187 View Post
im not speaking about his paint, im talking about in general
eh?
is there metallic in the paint, cfinch?
doesnt look like it to me.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #65
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Looks like I will be re clearing my car pretty soon. I kinda fucked up in colorsanding. lol

Review Thread
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #66
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
Quote:
Originally Posted by babowc View Post
eh?
is there metallic in the paint, cfinch?
doesnt look like it to me.
nooooo im not even asking about his paint. come on pay attention.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #67
babowc
Post Whore!

OOOOOOOHHHH
I just got what you were saying!
I think metallic is in the base.
Actual paint.

Clear you can add pearl, flakes, etc.
metallic, afaik, is in the base.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #68
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
How did you mess the clear up sanding? I never use less than 1000grit and I hardly use that. Mostly 1500 and 2000... I have no need to make the paint look perfect. I'm always very generous with my clear but if your not confident throw down alot of coats for insurance. I do 3 coats of clear on every paint job... Basically just one light for a tack coat then I've gotten really good with spraying so I go pretty heavy on the 2nd coat and the 3rd I really lay it on thick and I run it sometimes but that just means I'm definately getting it on thick. I can spray it on so thick now by the third coat it lays down so flat I just hit any runs with 1000 then get the whole car with 1500 pretty good and just go over it with the 2000 to soften the scratches.

I did get some info from my friends body shop while I was in Vegas. They use wool pads for cutting and foam for polishing compounds and they use 3m. Then they had a finish polish to completely remove the swirl marks and they use a foam pad for that as well. I forget the name I know my local paint store doesn't carry it but they assured me they had something that was the same just different brand.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #69
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfinch View Post
I did get some info from my friends body shop while I was in Vegas. They use wool pads for cutting and foam for polishing compounds and they use 3m. Then they had a finish polish to completely remove the swirl marks and they use a foam pad for that as well. I forget the name I know my local paint store doesn't carry it but they assured me they had something that was the same just different brand.
My local auto-paint supply told me the same exact thing about the polishing pads. They recommended the Meguiars Diamond Cut polish for the wool pad and then the Speed Glaze/Swirl Remover with the foam.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-paint-c...d-Cut-Compound

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-cleaner...hs/Speed-Glaze

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-cleaner.../Swirl-Remover
Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #70
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I'm sure it's the same stuff... I've been using foam to cut and I don't like it for cutting at all. I really wanna try the wool...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #71
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
dirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
ok my idea on this site is gitting a good paint job for the money???, you cant paint your car for $300 unless you know how to paint and want to spend about $600 on tools unless you allready have them do you??

ok if its a show car ok then go pay the $6000 for someone to paint your car correct. now if you really drive your car then maby you dont want to spend 6k so when your at the track and you see your bumper go flying in the air you wont cry. but if you or your parents are baller go fot it.

ok the way i did it, not saying its for you but just giveing you an option. i did all the prep work myself, you know sanding sanding and more sanding then went to macco and had a talk with them they were really nice i told them i went to another shop and told them i wouldent let them paint my lawn mower. all of a sudden he was like you want a tour of the shop bla bla bla. well all said and done it cost $250 out the door and it came out great wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better then i thought well here some pics.

if you have allready seen them sorry just trying to help the poor ziliva people out
Old 10-06-2007, 01:58 AM   #72
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Looks clean, but do you think it'll last in the long run?

Main reason I want to buy my own tools to spray is because I don't plan to spray only 1-2 cars.

As of today, I already have 4-5 cars planned for paint.(Mine and friends)

Also, the better I get at it, the more I can do it as a weekend/side thing to make some extra money.

Looks very nice though.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #73
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

dirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfection
well i cant say if its gunna last yet the paint is only about 3 weeks old. but kinda like a said i dont care if your paint cost 6k if your bumper flys off at the track it will get fucked up.

but if you really want to learn how to paint go for it, maby work at a paint shop part time and see if you like it befoure you spend all the money on tools.

and as far as maaco the the paint they use is a single stage paint and its meah ok i guess, but everyone says maaco is crap ya because they dont prep the cars at all. ok their idea of prep is taking a scotch pad and sanding it lol. and thats why the paint peels off they just put paint over your old clear coat. well ill let you know how it holds up
Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #74
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
^^^^ I demand pics of your hood and door jambs =)

Review Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #75
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

why pics of the hood??? and i did not jamb the car i was to lazy to take the doors off and prep them, but they said they would jamb the doors for another $50 but im just gunna track the car and im new to this so i know im gunna fuk it up so i saw no need for me
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #76
bardabe
Post Whore!

just wondering if u had it done or not that's all

Review Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #77
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I know alot of people who get their cars painted like that... It's maaaddd cheap... As long as you prep the car yourself you are ok but I still don't recommend the single stage... No need to spend $6k but I'm sure you can get away with a pretty good paint job for around a grand if you shop around. Less if you do the prep work yourself again... If your gonna go through all that trouble ya mise well try and paint it yourself too.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #78
vutony
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (145)
vutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 145 reviews
Quote:
i did all the prep work myself, you know sanding sanding and more sanding then went to macco
Did you primer it after all that sanding? I might consider this for my daily. Who does the best overall paint job? Macco, One Day, or Earl Scheib (anything else)

BTW, good work. Anyone orange peel? Close up pics please.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #79
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Just shop around and ask to see their work... I would take out all the lights and anything else that could get overspray and suck... Typically they are terrible at masking and expect some runs. It's only a single stage and I garuntee orange peel and dulling of the paint over time. Looks good from 15 feet right after it's painted and washed doesn't it? All those places are the same really just try to find one that looks like they have less mistakes on their finished work. Just don't let them show you personal cars and shit make them show you something rolling out of the booth.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #80
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfinch View Post
If your gonna go through all that trouble ya mise well try and paint it yourself too.
That's how i've always seen it.

I know shops tend to drop their prices significantly when the car is already prepped (close friend experiences), but prepping the car is like 90% of the work.

Paint is pretty much the easiest step.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #81
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Yup without a good prep job the paint will turn out like crap... I mean realistically you just need a single stage paint for a race car... I go way over board and for someone on a budget it's not worth it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #82
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

i went to one day paint and oh my god worst shit i have ever seen in my life. and what you have to rember is all maaco's are not the same some are good and some are really bad. it depends on whoever owns the shop and how they want to run it.

and with single stage paint no matter what your going to get orange peel, but on my paint i did not get one single drip, i was like wowwww. and i did not primer the car, all i did is took out the head lights tail lights and took the kit and spoiler off, sanded the whole car with a da sander then used body filler on all the little dings. then wet sanded the car with 400 then 600 not sure if this is the way you should do it but it worked for me.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #83
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Use scotch brite pads they work good if you just wanna prep real quick... Otherwise shoulda stuck with the 400...
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #84
babowc
Post Whore!

Heyy..
Just got base/clear of Jet black..
I've only done singlestage so far, so this will be a learning experience!

When do I apply pearl or flake?
Can i mix it with the base?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #85
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I also went to Maaco for a paint job. I figured, since I wasn't building a show car and that I was just sick of the sanded look, why spend a ton of money.

All in all, it cost me $360 out the door and I was happy how the car turned out. Even if the paint job doesn't last, I wouldn't have minded spending another $360 in couple years to have it re-done.

Here are the before and after pictures. You may have already seen my old S13.

Color is Nissan Slate Blue if anyone is wondering. Came out pretty good IMO.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #86
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ it's not perfect, but it does sure look nice. congrats.

I've been contemplating painting my car, this thread might just convince me into doing all the body work and paint myself.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #87
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Just do it.

My friend recently gave me a $400 gift card to Lowes.

So, I was able to buy a compressor, gun, sander, tool box, loads and loads of sand paper, etc.

A friend of mine suggested the gun/compressor combo since I didn't plan on using one of those massive compressors.

Also, since you're kind of local to me(not really, but under a 45min drive), I can actually help you out with paint.

I've never painted a full car on my own. So, once they're done(i'm painting a fastback, coupe, and astro-van) i'll have before and after pictures.

So, if you're up for that, I would be more than happy to help out.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #88
posdriftin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
posdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Just do it.

My friend recently gave me a $400 gift card to Lowes.

So, I was able to buy a compressor, gun, sander, tool box, loads and loads of sand paper, etc.

A friend of mine suggested the gun/compressor combo since I didn't plan on using one of those massive compressors.

Also, since you're kind of local to me(not really, but under a 45min drive), I can actually help you out with paint.

I've never painted a full car on my own. So, once they're done(i'm painting a fastback, coupe, and astro-van) i'll have before and after pictures.

So, if you're up for that, I would be more than happy to help out.
hey man let me know if you need help i have a couple extra guns you can use..
Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #89
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
wow, so much premie love. other forums need to see the softer side of Zilvia xD

I was hoping to start the body work this winter break, but planning other things and the possibility of my girl getting a little project of her own has taken away from my time. I'll more than likely do it in the summer along with some engine goodies.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #90
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

For sure.

Just hit me up whenever you're ready for paint.

By then, i'll have more than enough experience.

People don't need to see our softer side.

That's what the premie section is for.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote: