Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Eastern States

South Eastern States Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #31
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So my question is still up in the air. Is the state braking the federal law by making titles and vins for these illegal cars?? As far as a police man is concerned if you have a legit vin your fine.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #32
kakashi07

Trader Rating: (0)
kakashi07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi! I'm new to the forum and Nissan thing. I think I have a solution to your predicament. It just depends on how far you are willing to go for your vehicle. As far as I know it is possible for you to register the car and make it legal by applying for a new title and branding the car as a "Kit Car" There are many kit and custom car laws that people have used for various vehicles such as Skylines, etc that weren't available in the US. You would have to have the car disassembled into the rolling chassis, engine, and drivetrain. Ship them in separate containers. It is then considered a bunch of auto parts. Reassemble in the US and register. Mind you there is quite a bit of paperwork involved in some places and that the car will carry a "collectible" label for the rest of its days. It will be issued a VIN and everything though. Something like this. Hope that this helps.
kakashi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #33
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
im pretty sure thats how kaizo did it
look at them now
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #34
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi07 View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum and Nissan thing. I think I have a solution to your predicament. It just depends on how far you are willing to go for your vehicle. As far as I know it is possible for you to register the car and make it legal by applying for a new title and branding the car as a "Kit Car" There are many kit and custom car laws that people have used for various vehicles such as Skylines, etc that weren't available in the US. You would have to have the car disassembled into the rolling chassis, engine, and drivetrain. Ship them in separate containers. It is then considered a bunch of auto parts. Reassemble in the US and register. Mind you there is quite a bit of paperwork involved in some places and that the car will carry a "collectible" label for the rest of its days. It will be issued a VIN and everything though. Something like this. Hope that this helps.
Guess you have no clue whats been going on the last 6 months now. Customs/NHTSA/DOT/ICE is going after all the gray market cars that were imported via this process. They are catching containers with cars, holding them and not releasing them. They have gone after folks who have "kit cars." A OEM manufactured car is not a kit car. Kaizo was a company that was importing vehicles doing this process. Do a search in here, we've been talking about this shit for a while now and what's going on. Do a search on threads I've started...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #35
kakashi07

kakashi07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that does suck major donkey dong. Like I said I'm new to the Nissan thing, I just picked up my S14 to be my daily driver. My main car is an RX7 FD so I haven't heard about this till recently. The only reason that I brought this method up though is because I recalled an article written in the Feb 2010 issue of Import Tuner where they cover a JDM RHD FD that was owned by a Marine and how to bring it over here he enlisted the help of his hotrodder father. They took advantage of every kit and custom car law that they could and quote, "Within a month, the car was registered, insured and street legal; the only stipulation being that it would carry a "collectible" designation on all paperwork for the rest of its days." I know that it is a bit different considering the LHD FD was offered here and S15's and Skylines were not but I was hoping that maybe an applicable law could be found. Oh well. I agree with a statement made in your other thread I would not try to import anything for the time being. I will say though that I believe that this is a result of our economy's current state and failing American car company's lobbying to reduce the import car trend.
kakashi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 AM   #36
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Its hilarious; this thread.

When I drove my s15 from Canada all the way to Key West I actually met another S15 owner, in the US, as well as several other people driving JDM cars that don't pass the federal requirements.

What ever happened to 'land of the free'... I'll tell you, people and some states generally don't care about federal laws. You are supposed to be 'the united states', not 'federally controlled Merica'. Besides this, the feds don't care about the individual driver, they want to go after the importers that are avoiding taxes.

Still, I found it funny to have met a cop driving an Evo 5 as his personal car. Nobody really cares, but you perpetuate fear on the internet.

Either way, advice: If you get the chance to buy a s15, Do it. Just like the R32's, they will skyrocket in price once your market opens up. In Fact the Ausies already are marking them up quite a bit.

EDIT: Yeah, I do realize this is an 8 year old thread.