Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240SX SCCA Solo II Classification

What you can do and what class it will put you in...all at a glance:

G Stock (GS)
-any shocks/struts
-any front sway bar
-any reasonably quiet exhaust, from catalytic converter back
-comfort and convenience: light bulbs, stereo system, etc.
-any street or R-tire that will fit on stock sized and stock offset wheels
-any brake pads
-stainless steel brake lines on cars older than 1992
-remove spare tire/jack
-bolt-in roll bar or cage
-harnesses

Street Touring-Street Tire (STS)
-all GS allowances
-any springs
-coilovers
-polyurethance bushings.
-any rear sway bar
-strut tower bars-front, rear, top, and bottom
-header
-intake
-pulleys
-front camber bolts or camber plates
-rear offset bushings or adjustable rear upper control arms
-any wheel up to 7.5”, any offset, with any street tire (treadwear > 140) up 225 width
-any stock sized slotted/drilled rotors
-stainless steel brake lines
-removed/disabled air conditioner
-any shifter/short-shifter
-any steering wheel that does not disable/remove a stock air bag
-any fully padded/upholstered front seats not less than 15lbs. Each
-body kits
-brake ducts

Street Touring-Street Tire Extreme (STX)
-all STS allowances
-any differential
-any bolt-on brake upgrade that retains e-brake
-hi-flow catalytic converter
-any tire (treadwear > 140) up to 245
-any wheel, any offset up to 8”

D Street Prepared (DSP)
-all GS allowances
-all STS allowances except adjustable rear upper control arms and body kits
-any front valance
-any rear spoiler that doesn’t extend more than 10” from bodywork, no wider than the car
-any wheel, any size, any offset
-any tire, any size, and treadwear
-removed/disabled emissions system(s)
-non-stock electric fans
-any organic clutch
-any differential
-removed heat and dust shields
-any steering wheel
-weld-in roll bar or cage
-update/backdate from other trim levels of the 240SX (VLSD, HICAS, etc.)
-any fully padded/upholstered front seats capable of accommodating an adult
-ported heads-no material can be removed more than one inch from port openings
-fender flares

Street Mod (SM)
-all DSP and STS allowances
-any Nissan/Infiniti engine (including SR and RB swaps)
-unlimited engine/drivetrain mods (turbo KA’s, bore, stroke, carbon fiber driveshafts, port and polished heads, high/low compression pistons, etc., etc., etc.)
-unlimited suspension using the same pickup points (adjustable control arms, ball joints, etc.)
-removed back seats
-fender flares
-replacement front fenders of any material
-replacement hood of any material
-hood scoops/vents
-any brakes that retain e-brake
-any spoiler that does not extend more than 6” off to the side of the car on either side and or more than 10” high
-2400lb minimum weight

E Prepared (EP)
-only S13 applies
-basically a tube frame with panels that resemble an S13
-highly modified, naturally aspirated KA24 or L20 (get a rulebook for specifics)

E Modified (EM)
-1500lb minimum weight
-any engine over 2000cc

D Modified (DM)
-1000lb minimum weight
-any engine under 2000cc

This is not complete - just a summarization of 100 some-odd pages of the Solo II rulebook. If there is any incorrect or outdated info here, let me know and I'll fix it.

Last edited by LanceS13; 07-30-2003 at 03:25 PM..
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #2
Tricky1980
Zilvia Member

Tricky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tricky1980
HI, i was reading the guide for scca rules and such and came upon that they threw me in EP class because i had a cf hood? i have a couple other mods that would put me in sts or stx but the cf hood said put me in ep is this true or did they mess up or ? i have another even this sunday could you help me out and see if im getting screwed or if its true.. thx
JaY
Tricky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
They messed up. I think you could run in STX due to the fact that you have a J30 diff. It changes the gear ratio from stock. However, nobody would know the difference so it could be OK to run in STS.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #4
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Just a correction: For Street Mod... brakes are unrestricted, meaning an e-brake is unnecessary, as far as my understanding of it goes (makes it easier for you to run a z32 rear brake, actually).
Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
Nope.

Street Modified
18.1.C.
Section 15.6 (Prepared Category, Brakes) applies, except for subsection 15.6.H.

Guess what 15.6.H. says...
The hand brake and operating mechanism may be removed.

The rest of 15.6 allows any metal brake rotor/drum in original location, any caliper, any dual master cylinder, any proportioning device, any servo assist, any pads, any lines, and ducting (restricted).
Old 10-29-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally posted by LanceS13
Nope.

Street Modified
18.1.C.
Section 15.6 (Prepared Category, Brakes) applies, except for subsection 15.6.H.

Guess what 15.6.H. says...
The hand brake and operating mechanism may be removed.

The rest of 15.6 allows any metal brake rotor/drum in original location, any caliper, any dual master cylinder, any proportioning device, any servo assist, any pads, any lines, and ducting (restricted).
Interesting.... however I do not think that it still implies the e-brake must be functional, just the hand brake and operating mechanism must remain in place (assuming this means the operating mechanism is everything up to the e-brake line).
Going on 15.6, if any caliper can be used, then a caliper without the e-brake mechanism on it can also be used (i.e. Q45 or z32). Otherwise my car is illegal, using a different e-brake setup, having the original caliper removed.

My guess is: since the rules that DO apply for 15.6 state that ANY caliper can be used, the e-brake does not need to be operational, if the e-brake caliper is taken out.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:30 PM   #7
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

Interesting indeed.
The e-brake is integrated into the rear caliper, so replacing it with a caliper without an e-brake appears legal per the rules. However, the actuating mechanism and cables cannot be legally removed since they are not integrated into the caliper. But which comes first? The implied "You cannot remove the parking break." (which means you can't remove the stock caliper). Or the "any metal caliper may be used." (which means, in effect, you can remove the e-brake system in part).
One of the great things about SM is the un-written "No Weenies Rule", which basically says that you'll be looked upon very negatively if you protest modification based on a slightly different interpretation of the rules that really has little effect on vehicle ability. If you don't want to rely on an un-written rule, you could write the SEB for clarification.
If it means anything, I wouldn't protest you.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
AceInHole
Autox Technician

here's the thing though: according to the wording, there is no rule saying you can or can't remove the parking brake, since the rule that states you CAN is excluded from SM rules (and so isn't an SM rule and should imply anything for SM). therefore, the clearly written rule, which states clearly that ANY caliper can be used, implies that a parking brake caliper does not need to be retained.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

Aah, I see your point, and I think you're right.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #10
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
anyone have a link to ALL hte rules/regulations. Someone mentioned it was 1oo pages or so? have a link to it?
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #11
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

This Page is probably the most inclusive source on the net. But it's 2 years old, so some rules have been added, removed, or changed...and it doesn't include Prepared and Modified class rules (which likely won't matter to you anyway).

You have to purchase a rulebook if you need more than that page can give you.

BTW, anybody with a '04 rulebook want to see if I need to add/remove/change anything in this guide? It's based off the '03 book.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/Fil...solo_rules.pdf

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/Fil...inalupdate.pdf
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 AM   #13
NINJAS14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
NINJAS14 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok so how do I get into something like this.
NINJAS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
you sign up and register. or spectate at an event first. to get an idea of the cost associated with the respective classes.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
Ichito240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Ichito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choicesIchito240 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ichito240
I am also looking into joining solo2 and I know I have to join a team first so that I can get a points card. Anybody on here can let me know what team I can join? If you are interested in a new member for the 08 season please let me know. Just remember that I am new to this and have only done 1 auto x event at the California Speedway on the 18th of November.
Ichito240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #16
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
I could stay in DSP, except I have fender flares Now I gotta run in Street Mod. I would get mopped !!!

I obviously wasn't building my car for auto cross lol
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky1980 View Post
HI, i was reading the guide for scca rules and such and came upon that they threw me in EP class because i had a cf hood? i have a couple other mods that would put me in sts or stx but the cf hood said put me in ep is this true or did they mess up or ? i have another even this sunday could you help me out and see if im getting screwed or if its true.. thx
JaY
it says clearly that with a replacement hood of any material puts you in SM..
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
90KAcoupe
Zilvia Junkie

90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 90KAcoupe
i read in sports car mag, that u can change ur offset buy 15mm. it was in the big article about setting up a g-stock car.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
90KAcoupe
Zilvia Junkie

90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 90KAcoupe
^ i checked the rules and u can change the offset buy 6mm or .25"
Old 12-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
I could stay in DSP, except I have fender flares Now I gotta run in Street Mod. I would get mopped !!!

I obviously wasn't building my car for auto cross lol
Fender flares are legal in DSP.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #21
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichito240 View Post
I am also looking into joining solo2 and I know I have to join a team first so that I can get a points card. Anybody on here can let me know what team I can join? If you are interested in a new member for the 08 season please let me know. Just remember that I am new to this and have only done 1 auto x event at the California Speedway on the 18th of November.
SCCA events do not require you to join a team. I'm not sure if NASA even does.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #22
gripster
Leaky Injector

gripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichito240 View Post
You have to join that sanctioning body, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc., so you can earn points in their respective series. No need to join an 'autox' team.

Here's my Q: My car is basically stock besides the f/r STBs and 17" spec V rims -- no lowering springs. I ran in DSP, am I handicapping myself? Should i run in STS or STX?

Last edited by gripster; 02-03-2008 at 01:06 AM..
gripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
skillzilla
Leaky Injector

skillzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as RUCAs being allowed in STS/STX, take a look at this:

"Camber kits may be installed on vehicles that do not have McPherson strut type suspensions."

240's have Mac Struts in the front but not the rear, so does that mean RUCAs are allowed because they are (obviously) not installed in the front? Or does it mean they are not allowed since the car as a whole IS equipped with mac struts?
skillzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster View Post
You have to join that sanctioning body, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc., so you can earn points in their respective series. No need to join an 'autox' team.

Here's my Q: My car is basically stock besides the f/r STBs and 17" spec V rims -- no lowering springs. I ran in DSP, am I handicapping myself? Should i run in STS or STX?
You are SERIOUSLY handicapping yourself - basically any car that is not "fully prepped" in any class is handicapping themselves - also depends on your competitors, but for the most part, yea.

You can easily put on some stock rims & run GS.

Of course, if you don't care about placing (which usually doesn't happen during the first year or so anyway), then run what you brung - figure out where you stand w/ respect to whatever class you eventually want to be in, then start modding your car toward the maximum limits of that class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzilla View Post
As far as RUCAs being allowed in STS/STX, take a look at this:

"Camber kits may be installed on vehicles that do not have McPherson strut type suspensions."

240's have Mac Struts in the front but not the rear, so does that mean RUCAs are allowed because they are (obviously) not installed in the front? Or does it mean they are not allowed since the car as a whole IS equipped with mac struts?
You may have something there, maybe RUCA's are not allowed. Two ways @ this.

1) Don't install RUCA's - or just do the bushings + stock ruca's.

2) Ask your fellow competitors locally if they mind if you run that class w/ a RUCA - for the most part, no one cars unless you are in contention for 1st place.

Most famous STS 240sx build up (stock ruca + bushings) - don't think this build up is on Zilvia, so linking to where I found it: http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=139581
Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Sukai

Sukai is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a question for all you autoX guys

I am worried about bringing my car with a JDM engine autoXing

It is currently registered, it has plates and is "smogged" will there be anyone there to ding me for that? have you ever heard of that happening?
Sukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #26
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
You will just run most likely in SM class - no one is there handing out tickets, it's autox, not fast & furious midnight drag racing.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
Sukai

Yeah but I would drive my car to the event.

The reason I ask is because there is another racing organization here in San Diego. The cops hang out there and I have seen people get ticketed when they leave. No one goes to the race event anymore (that is just one of the reasons) but it still makes me weary.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
Sukai

Thanks for the reply btw
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
silverraven240

silverraven240 is an unknown quantity at this point
does someone have a link to a pdf file with the rule book or can someone e-mail me the book ???
silverraven240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven240 View Post
does someone have a link to a pdf file with the rule book or can someone e-mail me the book ???
seriously? you just have to go scca.com & you can get the latest version from there under their Solo section.