Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
Kviper52
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Kviper52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thank you for your service
1997 240sx -Wife Car

My Cars and Their story:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=657376
Kviper52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #32
Kviper52
Zilvia Member

Kviper52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for your service, and cool car
1997 240sx -Wife Car

My Cars and Their story:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=657376
Kviper52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #33
blo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blo0d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post

The car was having a major issue with electrolysis. So bad that it destroyed my koyorad and i had to get a replacement. i tried adding grounds, pulling fuses chasing down the stray voltage. Disconnected the battery and the coolant still had .4V. I read this type of electrolysis can be caused by leftover material after machining processes. Bought some additives from Inter-Ject, did a major flush, added a zinc-anode. So far no issues, so we'll see how it holds up.
More details on this? I have never heard of this problem affecting a build before.
blo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #34
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by blo0d View Post
More details on this? I have never heard of this problem affecting a build before.
Not sure how familiar you are with electrolysis in general, but basically there is voltage flowing through the coolant, which can, and does, corrode vehicle components, in the case aluminum. After hours and hours of troubleshooting trying to locate where the voltage was coming from (most articles suggest that electrolysis is caused by poor grounds), i tried disconnecting the battery, effectively removing the source, and found there was still voltage in the coolant. How was this possible with the battery disconnected!?!? After some more research, I found that initally there may have been a small voltage current through the coolant, that was then amplified by the leftover metals left from the machining process (probably a dirty hot tank at the machine shop), and even with the battery disconnected, the voltage remains. To combat this, I did an extreme 7 day flush using a product specifically designed to remove electrolysis, added a sacrificial zinc annode (commonly found on marine equipment) which has a stronger attraction for current than aluminum, and added a ground strap with a 1 way diode that, theoretically, will allow the ground loop to be completed with current returning to the coolant.

here's some more info on it.

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/electrolysis.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kviper52 View Post
Thank you for your service, and cool car
Thanks for the kind words!
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #35
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
So, my friend Ryan has the car now and he'll be maintaining it for the next few years. He picked up some 275/35r18 RS-RR tires. The plan is to fit these on all four corners of the car.

I'm going to continue competing in the Nissan challenge and will start the Global Time Attack series upon my return from italy. At that time i will start working on a functional front splitter and rear wing setup.

In the meantime, I've been contemplating the Car Modify Wonder body kit, namely for the large front opening for the radiator, and it sits low which should help make for a more successful splitter application.

Here is some quick maths to help determine how the new tires will fit.

the new wheels i'm looking to get are pricey but also beautiful and functional. The only thing i'm concerned about will be the front and rear fitment. These wheels are offered in a 18x10 +30 and +22mm setups.

The +30 is a medium face and the +22 is a rear face (more concave)

I know for sure i'm going to have to go with at least a +20mm fender up front, possibly a +30. Toby Broadfield did an amazing example of a wider front fender with stock pulled metal in the back.
I will be running a track oriented fitment setup (-3.5 degrees camber up front and -2 degrees camber in the rear, which should allow more clearance than the setup that he had).

I think with a good pull in the back I could use the +30 wheel with the 275 tire, and fit the same wheel and tire up front with a 20mm spacer and +30mm fenders. Wondering if it would look weird or upset the balance of the car having a wider width up front than out back.

I could go with a 30mm overfender in the rear and also run a spacer out back to give it equal widths for both the front and rear, but I don't know if I'm that commited to trusting someone else to cut into the quarter panel and welding, and then paint. We're talking about another $8,000 for wheels, body, and paint.

Probably will have at least a month or two to think this over, as i will be too busy with the move to purchase anything anyways. I did give him permission to track the car at the drag strip (have never run a legit quarter mile at a strip and i'm excited to find out how the car does).
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #36
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Wanted to come here with a cool update but life has kept me busy and my wallet empty.

My friend was able to get the car to a drag strip and she boogied a 12.3 @ 118mph.
Not great but not bad considering what tires and alignment are on the car (60ft was 2.04).
Friend has also been troubleshooting an idle issue, seems like a vacuum leak but haven't found anything yet.

Meanwhile in Italy I've been scooting around in this:

nice little 1.9 liter turbo diesel.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 AM   #37
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Came across a deal that was too good to pass on.

Enkei RS05RR
18X9.5 +22

the offset is a little too low but i think it can work without rear overfenders.
i can dial in a bit more camber in the rear and couple it with some pulling to fit.
the front hasn't been test fit yet, but i'm sure it will need at least +20mm fenders. either way, i'm stoked. it's a gorgeous wheel.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:06 AM   #38
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Test fitting the front wheels

This is with a 20mm spacer on the front hub. It looks like i have enough room to drop the spacer down to a 8/10mm spacer, which will still require me to run a 20mm wider front fender.

The front wheels will have a 265/35r18 on front, so it should give me a teeny bit more clearance than what you're seeing now.

Meanwhile in Italy...
Old 11-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #39
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

New keys who dis

Well, there's still no new addition to the S13, which will likely remain with no updates until i get new orders.

In the meantime....

I didn't want to leave europe without taking something home with me. The classic mini cooper is still somewhat rare to see on the street but there are plenty for sale all over italy.

never thought i'd be driving one of these before i came here, but there's something very appealing to me about these cars. initially i was looking for a classic, but this Clubman Estate caught my eye and it really drew me in.

the deal is done, paid 3500 euro. i have the keys, it's parked on base, and i have all the paperwork. just waiting for the change of ownership to go through the italian to armed forces registration office, which could take a couple weeks as everything is shutting down here again.

right now i'm just excited to mob around in this thing, but i do have plans to make it lower, wider wheels, and maybe a B series engine.

edit: the car comes with Italian religious protection, so that's nice.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #40
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
That sticker brings it all together, nice find man.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #41
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Damn it's nice to have Zilvia back. My lunch breaks haven't been the same for a few months.
Where to recap?

The mini after a nice detail. I'll say this about Italians, they do a damn good detail for 10 euros.

Mt Vesuvius for the nice backdrop

A few of us with older cars got together at an iconic spot for a nice group photo.
From the left: 76 Fiat 500, 75 LandCruiser with a diesel, 96 Defender, and my 1980 Mini Clubman Estate

Down in Posillipo, Naples

Amalfi

After summer 2021, I had an oppurtunity to get back out to St Charles, MO,
and meet my friend Ryan who had been keeping the car for me while I was overseas.
Of course after one day I had an electrical gremlin,
and I'm sure we've all been in this position before...

We got the car squared away and headed from Missouri to San Diego.
A few years ago I moved the air filter into the wheel well behind the bumper,
and naturally it rained non stop from St Charles to Arizona, about 900 miles.

But we made it with few scratches. We had a hiccup in El Centro,
where the fuel pump relay had a pin come loose and we were on the side of
the highway in the middle of the night trying to figure out what the fuck happened.

We also closed on our first house! Nice place just outside of Imperial Beach,
CA. 2 car garage, a yard big enough for the pups.
only ten minute drive to work. Can't ask for much more than that.

Also wanted to get a daily driver and something to use for exploring this beautiful state.

Probably the only meaningful modification done,
I swapped in KMH cluster and used the Dakota Digital to make
it read accurately in MPH. I have a working 180MPH speedometer now,
accurate within 1mph, although I haven't tested it above 150...yet.

And here we are. Still have a lot lined up for the 240, but life comes at you fast.
I'm in the process of getting divorced and simultaneously ramping up for deployment.
Might not be until next year until we can get into paint.
Still shooting for something along the factory KG1 color,
maybe with some more metallic sprinkled in.
Progress feels slow and time moves fast.
At least Zilvia is back up.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #42
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

May 18 Update.

Back in April I had an opportunity to get out to Buttonwillow with Nissan Challenge. Shout out to my parents who had sent me a gift certificate for speed ventures for my birthday. I towed the car out there from San Diego and I'm glad I did because I left bakersfield with a bad rear wheel bearing and a broken wheel stud.

Apart from that, the car performed well. On the last session my oil temps got pretty high and oil pressure started to drop a bit under one particular corner. I didn't have this issue last time when the car had amsoil in it, but this time with a mobil-1 5w-50...I'm wondering if the sump was suffering from aeration.

BW

A couple weeks ago I was gifted a pretty sweet workbench that my work was getting rid of. Very excited about this, a lot more surface area to work with and it has a 6.5" vice to replace the 4" vice that I broke right before my track day.

Been spending a lot of money on maintenance parts for the cars and house and decided to treat myself to a little cosmetic addition.

Also found this in an unopened box. I forgot when or how i got this and I'm not sure if I'm going to use it but it is a cool piece.

Currently waiting for new wheel bearings to be delivered, along with a bunch of other goodies from Z1 motorsports:
-new driveshaft hardware (bolt, split washer, nut)
-new front brake pads for the z32 brakes
-powertrix tension rods
-and some shiny new lug nuts

I need to spend more time getting organized but it's starting to shape up.
With 4 cars in my personal fleet of shitboxes you need to have plenty of oil.

Car has been on jackstands since my track day but as soon as these parts get in I'm hoping to get it back on the road and shredding in the canyons again.

Always a struggle when you are building on a budget. I love the S15 suede seats but there's just not enough support for track days. I really like the Status GTX seats and I can get custom fabric made with a very similar material and color to the silvia seats. That's about $2k for a pair.

Also been wanting to get some 350z axle flanges but nobody stocks HLSD output shafts which means sending them out to someone like defworx.

The LS7 clutch is starting to have it's own issues as well so I'll probably wait until i'm ready to drop in a Mcleod clutch and pull the differential output shafts at the same time to get the z33 conversion done.

ANNNNNND I've been wanting to get some bash bars with jack supports, a half cage, and maybe a removable radiator support with tubular headlight brackets instead of the flimsy oem stuff for the pop ups. Will probably go to defworx for all that when the time is right.

Oh, and the car needs to be painted, too.

Here we are going into my 8th year of ownership with the car and I still don't have my shit together.

Still having fun, though.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:48 AM   #43
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I'll be selling a kaaz with a 350Z axle conversion set up in the coming weeks...
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #44
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'll be selling a kaaz with a 350Z axle conversion set up in the coming weeks...
Appreciate it, if I do pick up another differential it will likely be another HLSD unit. If anyone is selling an S15 unit with the 3.69 gears and hlsd then I?d be interested.