Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #31
s14pit
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
s14pit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You really have built a super clean car.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #32
Donedreamin

Donedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enoughDonedreamin will become famous soon enough
Lots of sweat equity, and it shows!
Donedreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I gotta ask where the hell you found brand new ac lines? I'm guessing you're using dohc ka lines and compressor?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #34
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I gotta ask where the hell you found brand new ac lines? I'm guessing you're using dohc ka lines and compressor?
Yea all dohc KA with R134 and PAG46, with the codyace bracket (I wasn't exactly thrilled to pay $70 and open the box to see an aluminum bar, a spacer, and some bolts)
I would have made it myself if I had known that, but I don't mind supporting the community.

The lines and evap core are from that red convertible, they're used, just cleaned up really nice and in great shape.
I am an idiot however, when I stripped that vert I was under the impression I could buy a new condenser so I left it, called everywhere and it's NLA, car was crushed before I could get back.
Took me months to find another good used one.

I did have to carefully bend one of the lines to clear the wastegate actuator and not sit right on the downpipe.

projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #35
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I bought one of codysace brackets like 12 yrs ago sr swap in my s14. Price just came with the swap..cost more to have someone weld up lines that might leak.

Cars lookn good too
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #36
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
I hear that, better to stick with the oem lines.

So it's been a few weeks, jacked the car up for a 500 mile checkup, check all the nuts/bolts, see what vibrated loose, change all the fluids, etc..
Cheap megan DP has been catching road reflectors, it's almost touching the floorboard and I'm not even that low, really need a PBM cobra.

Remember those axles I didn't rebuild, the only thing on the whole car I just bolted on as-is. Well, at some point one of the boots gave out and coated the passenger side underbody in grease.
I looked into Z33 axles but figured there's no point, I'm not making that kind of power and I don't really beat the car enough to justify the swap, maybe one day.
Pulled the axles apart and everything looked decent so we just rebuilt the originals.

Tied on a rag to catch the spring loaded cap.

Also while I had time I CAD up some brackets for a STI strut bar I picked up.
Sent the DXF to a local shop who lasered and bent the plates, threw on some paint and they bolted right up, couldn't be happier.

Also heat wrapped the manifold since it was getting pretty warm under the hood after some spirited driving.

Pulled the thing out and headed to the paint shop to pick up the kouki tail light filler and installed a new OEM center light.

Last edited by projectsupra; 07-16-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 07-17-2020, 04:40 AM   #37
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Nice update, does that strut bar clear with the hood shut? Seems high up
Old 07-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #38
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

That carbon fiber tube on the STB is maybe 3/4-1" above the valve cover.
It clears my vented hood perfectly, haven't tried the original.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #39
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
you have a lot of talent!!! you should be very proud of all the skills you have Sir!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #40
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
That carbon fiber tube on the STB is maybe 3/4-1" above the valve cover.
It clears my vented hood perfectly, haven't tried the original.
whoa. how much was it to have those strut tower mounts made up?
since I installed my s13.4 valve cover, my STB won't clear any more. This might be a good alternative.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #41
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
since I installed my s13.4 valve cover, my STB won't clear any more. This might be a good alternative.
Im running an ebay one and it clears my s13.4vc...acually closer to my top mount rail..

What mounts are u running?
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #42
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Im running an ebay one and it clears my s13.4vc...acually closer to my top mount rail..

What mounts are u running?
i'm not 100% sure. I believe they're Nismo. This car came already sr20 swapped and the seller didn't have the best understanding of everything already done on the car. Lower mounts would prob improve the situation.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.

Last edited by brndck; 12-15-2020 at 09:08 AM..
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #43
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post

IIRC it was $60 or so for the plates, would have been cheaper if I needed more than one pair.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #44
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Another top notch build. Great work saving that chassis. I wish more people had the skill, and dedication to see their project through to the end. Keep it up OP!
Old 11-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #45
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Really appreciate all the support everyone!

So I haven't posted any build updates in a while because, well, these two smaller twin versions of us joined our family back in April. That of course means the car takes a backseat to everything else, but no worries, at least it's not getting traded in for a minivan as long as I'm still breathing.

But there was one thing I managed to squeeze in so we could enjoy the car as-is for a while. I had planned to retrofit proper bixenon HID projectors in the car since the beginning, and I finally got the chance. Using OEM Denso ballasts, Morimoto D2S 5.0 bixenon projectors, and some OEM philips 85122 bulbs, I'm super happy with the finished product.

After burning through 6lb's of ABS and who knows how many hours of CAD I finally printed enough prototypes to get the alignment, fitment, and deflection where I want it.

The current lexan covers are just temporary so everything is sealed and usable for now, eventually these will be molded to cover the sides as well like originals.

We may even mold the whole assembly in carbon fiber one day if the ABS doesn't hold up well enough.

Also test printed some new shortened pivot arms and purchased M6 spherical joints with shortened rods that correct the open/close height, but that's a project for another day when the twins are a little older.

Best of all, it's all 100% bolt on.
Enjoy the pics and give me some feedback!

Old 11-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #46
Fuglychuki91
Zilvia Member

Fuglychuki91 is on a distinguished road
The lights look awesome man! And congratulations on the twins! I?m a twin too haha
Fuglychuki91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #47
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Bless this build
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #48
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Killer build
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #49
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I like what you did with the headlights alot. That came out very nice. Very similar to the NA1 NSX except yours looks better.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #50
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Hooray for twins!
Thanks everyone, sometimes I forget how much work has gone into this car until I look back at this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
I like what you did with the headlights alot. That came out very nice. Very similar to the NA1 NSX except yours looks better.
Kinda what I was going for, as low profile as possible, no way to keep a 3 finger gap with a 3" projector lens though.
I've actually helped some friends with NSX headlight swaps long ago before retrofit kits were a thing, those assemblies are huge and super deep, but really nice.
My other option was to use my PIAA PRO 90's (similar NSX lights), I have a few sets but they require cutting the popup housing and light output isn't nearly as good as the Morimoto's.

And just so this post isn't without pics, threw in a USB 3.0 quick charger, first thing on the car that just dropped right in with no mods.

And something not 240 related, pulled the truck out a while back and grabbed some pics.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #51
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
That's the best looking sleepy-eye conversion that has proper lighting I've seen. Let me know if you'd like to sell a set after you get the bugs worked out.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #52
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

No real updates on the car, but I picked up 3 shiny new old stock coil pack covers someone made while I was looking to buy a new OEM cover. Any ideas who was making/selling these things?

I would have preferred just a no color anodized aluminum, but the red anodizing is kind of growing on me.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #53
Grumbles

Grumbles is an unknown quantity at this point
hard to believe this is the same car you started with, i sold a miata earlier this year because of way less rust. good work
Grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #54
Slideurmom
Leaky Injector

Slideurmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Oof projector lights and ac in a 240 . “Chefs kiss”
Slideurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #55
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Thanks! Always nice to know someone else appreciates the work.

Finally found a few hours to cut and weld the new pivot arm and linkages so the popups work properly. Now the mechanics work just like OEM, just need to wire up the high beam solenoid and mod the combination switch so the "low beam" stays on all the time and high beam activates the high beam shield solenoid.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #56
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stripping off anodizing is fairly easy with some oven cleaner.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #57
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Where'd you pick up that USB replacement? I've been searching for a slim one to do the same thing.

S14 Build
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #58
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Stripping off anodizing is fairly easy with some oven cleaner.
I found that out the hard way years ago cleaning a nasty engine
Stripped all my nice AN fittings on the block.

Wife found the charger, it's one of the few aluminum bodied ones.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBLYTST...p_mob_ap_share
Old 01-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #59
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Man that is just too cool. Like another has mentioned. If you ever decide you can sell this as a kit let me know loll. Can't get enough of the low profile headlight look
Old 03-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #60
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Nothing of substance here, just some updated pics.
Still no diffuser or wing on the car yet