Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
207S14

Trader Rating: (0)
207S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Window Questions

Hey guys, trying to get my car a little more road ready and one of the things thats holding me up are two things regarding the windows. My first question/issue is the regulators, one of the nylon wheels on the tracks (not the one on the actual glass) broke off and I'm trying to find out if I can get an aftermarket one or if I have to get an entire new regulator assembly. My second question is about the master switch, Mine was damages and corroded to the point that it no longer works and I was curious if theres any aftermarket window switches or if its possible to wire up a new switch for windows. Thanks in advance for any help, would love to get the windows put back in as soon as I can.
207S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
What year S14?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #3
207S14

Trader Rating: (0)
207S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What year S14?
Its a 1995
207S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Get yourself a brand new regulator. Don't try to mickey mouse something that's going to never work in the first place.

As for the switch you're going to have to find used. Make sure it's a 95. The 96-98 switches are different.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207S14 View Post
Hey guys, trying to get my car a little more road ready and one of the things thats holding me up are two things regarding the windows. My first question/issue is the regulators, one of the nylon wheels on the tracks (not the one on the actual glass) broke off and I'm trying to find out if I can get an aftermarket one or if I have to get an entire new regulator assembly. My second question is about the master switch, Mine was damages and corroded to the point that it no longer works and I was curious if theres any aftermarket window switches or if its possible to wire up a new switch for windows. Thanks in advance for any help, would love to get the windows put back in as soon as I can.
my nylon wheel broke too, did you ever find a solution to that?
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Aside from replacing the whole regulator (it is still available), if you know someone with a lathe and access to scrap delrin it might be worth trying to make a replacement for the wheels.

I did some googling and there are a few cars you might find in the junkyard that have *similar* regulators where you might be able to use the rollers. Mid-2000s Subarus in general especially. Nissan and Subaru often used the same suppliers for body electrics (JECS)... measure the roller on your car and then go start ripping open subie doors in the boneyard. Take a look at a 2003-2008 Forester regulator and tell me it doesn't look 95% identical.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #7
kennn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
kennn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207S14 View Post
the master switch, Mine was damages and corroded to the point that it no longer works and I was curious if theres any aftermarket window switches or if its possible to wire up a new switch for windows
The OEM master switch is prone to being stuck in the down position, leading to the window motor being burned out (also a possible cause for your wheels being cracked by the constant pressure of the motor grinding beyond the travel limit).

Yes, you can source aftermarket window switches to replace the OEM switch, but you will need someone to engineer the wiring.

If you're nice to me, I can help.

You can use any from a bunch of kit car or custom car universal window switches. Post up the one you like and I'll verify if it'll work with the S14.

You could also just use any 3-position up/down momentary rocker switch, but you'll have to add in more relays if they're not automotive switches.
kennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The switches from a D22 Frontier or B14 200SX (same switch) are also almost identical (physically). These are available as new replacement assemblies even though the S14 parts no longer are.

The harness pinout is different, however; you'd have to get a pigtail from a Frontier or 200SX in the junkyard and move the pins. There's only 8 relevant pins (two for each window motor, two for the lock switch, power, and ground), the Frontier switch has illumination which you'd leave NC. Also for a '95 you'd have to remove the lock switch from the new switch and not connect those pins, '96-'98 have the lock switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennn View Post
The OEM master switch is prone to being stuck in the down position, leading to the window motor being burned out (also a possible cause for your wheels being cracked by the constant pressure of the motor grinding beyond the travel limit).
After the S14 Nissan started using circuit breakers in the window motors to prevent overloading the switches/amps. Oh well!
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #9
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
The s14 window switches are the bane of my existence.

I found someone who made some custom ones and 3d printed a bezel so at least if they fail in the future I can just buy a replacement universal window switch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ74EryvVMX/

I didn't have the circuit breaker in my s14. 1995/96 model. I somehow had the 97-98 switch which has the circuit breaker built in. (discontinued btw) Also a non serviceable part otherwise I would've just had an electronics shop refresh it. Thanks Nissan!

I ordered roughly 4 different parts that fit our car and a frontier switch and as you stated the plug didn't fit, with some trimming I was able to get it to fit but it ended up catching my dimmer on fire.

As you stated, pinout is different.

Just so nobody else has to go through the headache.

Depending on what year s14 you have 2 wires are a different color. Also if you're going through the FSM almost always the pinouts are described by looking at the male end of the plug and not the backside where the wires go in. (makes no sense to me but I digress)

L = Blue

BLK - GRND
R/Y - -ILL
R/L - +ILL
W/B - +12v
L or L/W - Driver Side Down
G or L/B - Driver Side Up
R/W - Passenger Side Up
R/B - Passenger Side Down

https://youtu.be/m4NZnQrsIEE

fun fun fun!