Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
jwizzle

Trader Rating: (0)
jwizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Sr20det no start please help

So I have a 180SX with a blacktop straight cam. The other day it cut out completely whilst the throttle was wide open and would not start again after. I have spent days on it and tested the following, but still won't start, just cranks with no sign of firing:

- Probed ECU pins with multimeter and oscilloscope to check it has power, is sending injector pulses, etc (which all seems to be working as it should).

- Compression, all good on all 4 cylinders

- Ignition, a strong spark on all 4 plugs

- Fuel, tested fuel pressure ~40psi and also pulled the injector rail out and tested them. All 4 spray in batch mode whilst cranking

- disconnected MAF, still no start

- Pulled fuel pump fuse, this is the only thing that makes it cough and try to start. When pulled out, after a few cranks it splutters and seems like it wants to start, but doesn't (very strange). But then when the fuse is put back in, back to cranking with no sign of starting.

- Have even tried easy start sprayed into the throttle body with no sign of starting

Please could someone offer something that would cause this issue, as I am tearing my hair out! The only thing I haven't tested is timing, now if the chain had skipped a few teeth, you'd surely expect a backfire though? not just cranking without anything? If it had slipped any more then you'd expect no compression?

Thanks in advance
jwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #2
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
You did great checking: compression, fuel, spark.

Being you have confirmed all 3 seem to be functioning yet no attempt to start/fire I would check your CAS. It’s possible it slipped and moved the base timing way out causing the no start. (Use i timing light to test/reset).

Being it attempted to start after you pulled the fuel pump fuse it could also be a sign the engine is getting flooded with fuel do Stuck open injector/s or leaking FPR (fuel into vacuum line off FPR). Less likely to cause a no start.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
X2 on what tunermt states. Has to be one of the 2.

Try priming the fuel pump with the rail pulled (don't crank) and see if the o-rings are holding fuel in the rail. Won't always cause a no-start but I've seen it happen.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:12 AM   #4
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
Any luck getting it started yet?
Old 09-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
just finished diagnosing a corolla which had slipped a few teeth...still had compression but was enough to not hit the valves or allow it to start...redoing the timing now starts right up!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:24 AM   #6
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Did you retune the sr already then?
Sr20det with a timing chain is much less likely to
Slip a tooth unless the tensioner is completely shot.
Worth a check though if you fear it’s off for any reason.