Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quick tip: changing HVAC bulbs (S13)

This is kind of a but:

Both the FSM and various howtos tell you to remove the entire unit from the car to change the bulbs. This is unnecessary. You just need to remove the radio, then loosen the unit and drop it enough to access the small flap (on top of the unit just between the recirc button and the face vent button).

Also the correct bulb spec is: 12-14V, 95-115mA (1.2W), 4.7mm. Other writeups used 3mm bulbs with lower wattage, they'll work but be slightly dimmer. The right bulbs are often advertised as Chevy instrument panel bulbs.

These are the only two replaceable bulbs, the button indicators and sliders are LEDs.

Last edited by AKADriver; 08-22-2022 at 07:35 AM..
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240meowth
Any additional photos? I've pretty much given up on this until I saw how easy this is.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, if only you had asked last week when I had my radio out!

But it's really that easy as I described. If you remove the radio you can unscrew the HVAC control and it drops down with plenty of room and the flap is right there. Those little bulb holders just turn a quarter turn clockwise and come out. Then the bulb is just held into the holder by its own folded over wires. Unlike an LED you can't put them in backwards.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/cl...placement.html

Speaking of LEDs I wouldn't try using one in there because the way the light pipes inside work to spread the illumination across all the buttons really depends on having the 360 degree distribution of an incandescent filament.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
does anyone know if a s14 is the same procedure to replace the bulbs?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 AM   #5
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Nope, S14 you do have to remove the unit and disassemble it, there's no flap. It comes apart the same way the S13 unit does, there's a row of clips.

The S14's unit is easier to remove though, there's just two electrical wiring harnesses on the back, you don't have the manual blend door cable to wrangle.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #6
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Did you happen to take more pictures while the grey bulb holder was out, e.g. what the bulb looks like outside of the holder?

I tried this project this weekend and I think I broke the bulb and got it stuck in there. I tried bending the wires that wrap around the top (where the Phillips head indent is) and they just kinda disintegrated.

Also do you have a part # on the bulb? I bought a 2 pack of the smallest bulbs sylvania makes on the shelf at Autozone, which are 1.2W 12V, but they appear to be slightly longer and have a standard blade-style connection. Again, I don't know what the bottom of these bulbs are supposed to look like.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
AKADriver
Post Whore!

The bulbs that I used look like LEDs. There's no base, just two wire leads. They aren't available at auto parts stores. Maybe at hobby stores because they're used for things like model train layouts...

This is from an eBay auction that has the spec I used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154057247792
Old 06-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #8
thermogod
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ah yes, the "realize that you should have searched Zilvia before pulling your entire AC unit out and completely apart" saga. i know it very personally.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:05 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd like to do a full LED conversion on my S13 hvac, sucks the old nicoclub post is kind've shit.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote