Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
CARB to begin monitoring smog tests via biometrics and web cam.

https://imgur.com/a/onc9jO8

Sorry, imgur doesnt wanna work with the img imbedding option here. But yeah, this message has been floating around social media the past couple of days.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...e-registration

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
*ears perk up*
Fourth amendment Lawsuit time?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #4
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
*ears perk up*
Fourth amendment Lawsuit time?
just waiting for someone to sue, but we'll see where it goes:

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/25/11193...ate-university

[email protected]
Old 08-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I realistically expect a push back on this. I agree this may infringe on the 4th amendment
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
just waiting for someone to sue, but we'll see where it goes:

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/25/11193...ate-university
That last paragraph really sets the stage.

From the article
"Rooms scans go where people otherwise would not, at least not without a warrant or an invitation. Nor does it follow that room scans are not searches because the technology is 'in general public use,'" Judge Calabrese said.

Few ways you can argue that off the top of my head:

1. If I was an inspection station, the cameras access areas that are not permitted to the general public. I don't allow anyone in the inspection room besides the tech/inspector performing the test. No one is allowed there without a warrant or an invitation (I never give out invitations as a result of my business insurance policy or whatever)

2. If I was an owner of a vehicle I'd say that I only gave permission to the shop to perform this inspection on my vehicle. I did not provide consent to the 3rd party camera operators to look at my vehicle in a manner that is no different than if it were parked on the street. You could also argue that the cameras during the inspection behave in a similar way of having cameras during a gynecologist appointment.

California could respond by changing the parameters of the smog inspection itself, but they'd be facing the same challenges. I'm REALLY curious to see how this plays out.

Shit, I may just buy property in Cali just so I can jump in on the class action lawsuit that's coming.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
2. If I was an owner of a vehicle I'd say that I only gave permission to the shop to perform this inspection on my vehicle. I did not provide consent to the 3rd party camera operators to look at my vehicle in a manner that is no different than if it were parked on the street. You could also argue that the cameras during the inspection behave in a similar way of having cameras during a gynecologist appointment.
I think the smog things they are cracking down on are whether the vehicle having smog done matches the information submitted.

You know, the "I know a smog guy" type of places where you never have to show up...

[email protected]
Old 06-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #8
StorminMatt

Trader Rating: (0)
StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If this is true, it has a definite upside. Legislation such as this may threaten the whole smog check program by encouraging smog shops to stop doing tests. If shops start to either stop doing tests or close altogether to the point that it becomes difficult to impossible to get smog checks, California is going to be faced with some hard choices.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote