Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Z3NKI

Trader Rating: (0)
Z3NKI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleb?s budget SR Zenki

Sup Gents
Tl:dr - My whole vision for this car is SR20det powered street/drift car a la Jesse Streeter. bought a wrecked s14 and its taken four years to get where its at and it will likely take four years to get where its going.

I've been browsing this forum since somewhere around 2010, I used to spend a ton of free time oogling over cars on here and connecting with locals on MA240sx.net. I've had 6 or 7 s-chassis, but only 2 have ever been road worthy - I'm what some may call a wannabe.

I've always wanted to start a build thread, but never really had a reason, and then when I finally did put a car together worth documenting (maybe?), Zilvia was touch and go.

Into the car! - around 2018 I had pretty much decided I was going to just stick with e36's and would probably never own another s-chassis. Until I was browsing FB and came across a 3 hr old for sale post that was very cryptic. It had a phone number that was redacted, I messaged the add to a friend and in the thumbnail for the for sale ad i could read the phone number!

It ended up being an old man, whose daughter had crashed it, front end was wrecked but it ran and drove. $400 later and it was mine, I towed it home and let it sit in my driveway for about half a year. I finally decided one day that it was really only a hood and headlights away from being on the road, ratchet strapped the core support to a tree, found a hood and headlights on marketplace and started whipping it. It was enjoyable to drive even in stock form. Unfortunately I ended up having to daily it one winter and it turned into a rust bucket.

So i dailied it like this for a whiled auto KA was healthy, ngl i regret getting rid of it 😂 sold it to a friend for $400. Possibly my biggest mistake throughout this bag of mistakes.

This thing was actually sweet stock, heat, AC. Stock radio, cruise control all worked.

So my biggest problem in all my years of slapping cars together is that i love to order a metric ton of parts, stack them in a corner and then pretend like I?m going to be able to install everything in a weekend.
So i saved up over a winter, bought an SR20 from MD JDM, the one i snagged had 550cc injectors, splitfire coils and a tomei sticker on the ECU. $2600 (2019 prices), i also got brand new in box prime coils for $400 (from the legendary Lee Alexander of Alexander fabrication), 4 17x9 +20 5Zigen FN01-rc for $100, some assorted arms, brakes, downpipe and exhaust all as cheaply as i could.

Of course i started with all these parts, and long story short it was over a year before i got the SR running lol

In the middle of all this i sold my house and moved into a smaller house with a smaller driveway and no garage - car was running at this point but very poorly. I spent my evenings for a month or two getting the front and rear suspension and subframe sorted out.
I was finally gonna street the car! Lowered it off the jackstands, after months of hard work, started it up, intense smell of fuel. Looked underneath and saw a stream of fuel running down the fuel tank.

So dropped the subframe and fuel tank again. Tons of people suggested epoxy\jb weld, so i ground down the tank, got some fuel safe jb weld. Fixed her up good. Put it back in the car, filled it up with gas and? lasted about 15 minutes.
Luckily i have a clean shell that is identical, so for the first time i began robbing parts off of it. Swapped in the clean gas tank. Put it all back together. Finally ready to drive.

Grabbed some KBD skirts (awful) and attempted to color match the front lip (awful)

Drove it around a while, went to the first MA240 bbq in like ten years

Finally signed up for my first drift event in this car (awful). Broke a control arm due to being a piss poor welder apparently. Luckily i had spares and ended up getting some more laps in

Alright i gotta stop there for now, longest first post ever.

Coming up next in Clamhand Cleb?s adventures!

Final Bout SSE
Styling up (slowly but surely)
100 Drifters of December!
Sr20det problems! (Who would have guessed?!)
Z3NKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #2
Z3NKI

Love how the apostrophes got changed to question marks somehow.

So yeah pretty much after I got the car running pretty good with some help from friends i really just enjoyed driving it. Wired up some gauges so i knew what was going on. Also quick life hack here, pretty much every factory car with a wideband will have the same 6pin connector as the AEM (and others) wideband gauges, they just have a different key on the inside of the connector, I?m currently using an e90 m3 wideband i got for free.

After my first drift event and the issues i had with the control arm, along with having stock knuckles i decided to order the Villains angle kit, seems like a great deal it was less than $600 after cores for knuckles, control arms with new ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, some assorted hardware and steering rack boots.

I also had picked up a spare block/head/ combo that had a freshly powder coated valve cover, a new throttle body from @camryonbronze and some other little bits and bobs. Threw some of those things on over time.

I ended up cruising the car down to Summit Point Motorsports Park for the first Special Stage East hosted there, I?ve always been a huge fan of Final Bout so even though the weather was nasty that weekend i was so stoked to go check everything out.

It was definitely a Final Boat type weekend. Enjoyable time cruising the car around though.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:36 PM   #3
Z3NKI

So here we are.
In preparation for my 2nd drift event with this car, 100 drifters of December in summit point, wv. I decided to snag a cheapo knockoff kit after selling my kbd skirts. The rear bumper was smashed so i took a crack at redoing the fiberglass, ran out of time but learned a lot. I absolutely love the look with the new skirts and rear bumper. I look forward to the day i can do full BN though.

Unfortunately as is my usual, the event did not go as planned, I was only about 5 laps in when i noticed a ton of oil smoke coming from my exhaust under wot. My initial thought was ?well i haven?t driven the car in a long time, hopefully it?s just the turbo seals, maybe it will clear up, car was running perfect (albeit idling a little rough) making boost, good afrs. Once i realized the smoke wasn?t going away and it was an embarrassing amount i decided i better head to the pits and check things out.

I pulled the oil cap off and immediately smoke started blowing out, pulled the pre turbo PCV and same thing, a ton of smoke. So the engine has a ton of blow by. I got a terrible screen shot of a video i took, the haziness is the smoke blowing.
I honestly don?t know if it will come through over the internet, but anyway:

So i haven?t had a chance to do a leakdown yet but I?m thinking at least one cylinder needs rings. Once i fully diagnose it, assuming it is rings I?ll plan on doing a mild rebuild on the engine.

That pretty much brings us to present, I?m kind of hoping the engine needs a rebuild because I?d love to get this thing over 300 and do some reliability mods/clean some stuff up. Hoping i get the chance to improve the car and driving in 2023
Old 12-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just wanted to stop by and say "great build"! Nice to see someone just out there having fun with their car still, in a capacity like this. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your future engine build!
Old 12-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #5
Z3NKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtdream View Post
Just wanted to stop by and say "great build"! Nice to see someone just out there having fun with their car still, in a capacity like this. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your future engine build!
Thanks man, I do enjoy working on it since I don?t rely on it for transportation. I look forward to having a garage i can tear it down in.