Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #61
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Exactly! /\/\/\/\ everyone thinks they need a cage and a supercharged LS and a wisefab kit and a 900mm wide body with a BCL wing just to go drifting.

Like that other dude said, clutch, diff, bucket, spring upgrade. Then SEAT TIME
I missed you babe
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #62
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i am new at drifiting and 240s in general coming from a long 13 years of building drag hondas.

My "beginner" checklist is:
OMP seat/some sort of high end bucket
kyb agx struts and springs (altready installed)
bushings all the way (whole chassis)
grip royal wheel
hydro ebrake

my car is being/staying as a DD/weekend drift event car ( i will only drift maybe once a month)
Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #63
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
zangetsu1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
i am new at drifiting and 240s in general coming from a long 13 years of building drag hondas.

grip royal wheel
hydro ebrake

my car is being/staying as a DD/weekend drift event car ( i will only drift maybe once a month)
are the kyb struts stiff enough for drifting? and what did you mean by hydro ebrake??
i need as much info as i can before i get my own 240 to be safe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #64
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many people just skip right over that very important step. Coilovers are cool and all, but if you're still running around with sloppy stock bushings your suspension is still a sloppy mess, regardless of how much bumps hurt your kidneys. The thing is, bushings are cheap. The problem is, the labor to install the bushings costs as much as the shitfest coilovers most people buy. Kids just don't want to spend that money because it doesn't make the car look any cooler.

The most important thing for ANY beginner is DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE STYLE ASPECT. Put together a solid and reliable car. Who gives a fuck if it has the raddest "JDM" (knockoff) bodykit, hellaflush wheels, and is slammed to the weeds. If it's a sloppy unreliable mess drifting and 240's aren't going to be much fun. Constantly slamming your head against a proverbial wall to figure out what's wrong with your shitbox gets old fast...
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #65
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu1223 View Post
are the kyb struts stiff enough for drifting? and what did you mean by hydro ebrake??
i need as much info as i can before i get my own 240 to be safe..

You can drift fine on stock suspension, why would a shock/spring setup not be good enough? This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You're biting right into the stereotype of a "drift car". FUCK the stereotype. A badass drifter can drift like crazy with a COMPLETELY stock car AND an OPEN DIFF. Granted, I would not suggest an open diff, but it can be and has been done.

A hydro e-brake is not necessary, really quite useless. That's a HYDRAULIC e-brake. The stock e-brake is fine. Really the e-brake is THE MOST BASIC way to initiate a drift. As you get better it should really be used for correction mid-drift more than initiation.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #66
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many people just skip right over that very important step. Coilovers are cool and all, but if you're still running around with sloppy stock bushings your suspension is still a sloppy mess, regardless of how much bumps hurt your kidneys. The thing is, bushings are cheap. The problem is, the labor to install the bushings costs as much as the shitfest coilovers most people buy. Kids just don't want to spend that money because it doesn't make the car look any cooler.

The most important thing for ANY beginner is DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE STYLE ASPECT. Put together a solid and reliable car. Who gives a fuck if it has the raddest "JDM" (knockoff) bodykit, hellaflush wheels, and is slammed to the weeds. If it's a sloppy unreliable mess drifting and 240's aren't going to be much fun. Constantly slamming your head against a proverbial wall to figure out what's wrong with your shitbox gets old fast...
sht, i agree with you man..all that stuff about accessories comes later for me..for now, i am trying to not skip any step so i wont be sorry later and cost me more money..

for the bushings though, u said they're cheap but where can i get them?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #67
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
You can drift fine on stock suspension, why would a shock/spring setup not be good enough? This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You're biting right into the stereotype of a "drift car". FUCK the stereotype. A badass drifter can drift like crazy with a COMPLETELY stock car AND an OPEN DIFF. Granted, I would not suggest an open diff, but it can be and has been done.

A hydro e-brake is not necessary, really quite useless. That's a HYDRAULIC e-brake. The stock e-brake is fine. Really the e-brake is THE MOST BASIC way to initiate a drift. As you get better it should really be used for correction mid-drift more than initiation.
most of the guys in here are advising me to go with welded differentials and i just wanna know which springs would be good as a beginner stock or not..

well first i need to improve on driving and then get on to that ebrake lol

Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #68
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

i choose the kyb agx and springs combo due to me being dd primarily.

hydraulic ebrake is something i want but not really need (i run 19" wheels so my stock ebrake isn't cutting it) (yes i know they are too big)

the bushings are cheap as hell and being i do all my own stuff at our auto repair shop it is cake for me. Most people who have to pay others to do their work for them would be shocked by how much shops charge to burn and press out old bushings and install new ones.

I advise doing as much as you can yourself to save $$$.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #69
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
First and most important: move out of Florida.
Your IQ will raise and you'll be able to research the answer to
simple questions.

If the damaging effects of Florida are too high to overcome then here:

- do maintenance on the car - bushings, fluids, sensors, leaks, etc.
- stock KA with 248 cams
- light flywheel
- 4.36 final drive with a 2 way clutch diff.
- coilovers
- clutch upgrade
- bucket seat

and seat time.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #70
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

VegasDrifterS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

grip royal wheel
hydro ebrake

I figured out the problem. You drove; liked; and built Hondas.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #71
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDrifterS13 View Post

lol and i still do love hondas but the nissan 240sx is an interesting chassis with tons of potential. In the process of building a 350 for it now for an increase in power and torque.

Staying on topic.

I think the diff and bucket seat and replacing all the bushings is a good place to start as well as struts/springs or coilovers, whichever is best suited for your needs.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #72
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
First and most important: move out of Florida.
Your IQ will raise and you'll be able to research the answer to
simple questions.

If the damaging effects of Florida are too high to overcome then here:

- do maintenance on the car - bushings, fluids, sensors, leaks, etc.
- stock KA with 248 cams
- light flywheel
- 4.36 final drive with a 2 way clutch diff.
- coilovers
- clutch upgrade
- bucket seat

and seat time.
dude what do you mean by move out from florida? is the drifting scene that bad here?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #73
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDrifterS13 View Post

lol this cracked me up a bit..but isnt the s2k capable of drifting or the hatch civics?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #74
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
lol and i still do love hondas but the nissan 240sx is an interesting chassis with tons of potential. In the process of building a 350 for it now for an increase in power and torque.

Staying on topic.

I think the diff and bucket seat and replacing all the bushings is a good place to start as well as struts/springs or coilovers, whichever is best suited for your needs.
allright tnx man

Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #75
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

If anyone got any other suggestions, feel free to add cuz im actually taking notes and looking through aftermarket shops online..

Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #76
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
capable of drifting or the hatch civics?
Did you really just ask if civic hatch's could drift?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #77
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
dude what do you mean by move out from florida? is the drifting scene that bad here?

That is an inside joke around Zilvia. The influx of retards from Florida has been astronomical in the last few years. Hence why we say that Florida makes you stupid. I believe we came to the conclusion that it must be the water. Either that or astronomically un-controlled in-breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Did you really just ask if civic hatch's could drift?
Yeah, back in the late 90's-early 2000's there were like 3 people in the world world that tried FWD drifting. All it really was is driving around a racetrack/mountain road with the e-brake locked. Pretty dumb, but I at least see where an un-educated Floridian could get that idea...
Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #78
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
That is an inside joke around Zilvia. The influx of retards from Florida has been astronomical in the last few years. Hence why we say that Florida makes you stupid. I believe we came to the conclusion that it must be the water. Either that or astronomically un-controlled in-breeding.

Yeah, back in the late 90's-early 2000's there were like 3 people in the world world that tried FWD drifting. All it really was is driving around a racetrack/mountain road with the e-brake locked. Pretty dumb, but I at least see where an un-educated Floridian could get that idea...
Well, I came from the PI so i dont know what the hell you talkin bout and i moved here like 2 yrs ago so im not really one of those "Floridians"..

one more thing, the reason i dont know that much about this is cuz back in my country we couldnt afford this shit..

I saw couple of videos of pros trying to drift the hatch using heel toe and left foot braking

Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #79
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well, I came from the PI so i dont know what the hell you talkin bout and i moved here like 2 yrs ago so im not really one of those "Floridians"..

one more thing, the reason i dont know that much about this is cuz back in my country we couldnt afford this shit..

I saw couple of videos of pros trying to drift the hatch using heel toe and left foot braking

Look, defend yourself all you want. In the end it's just excuses. What you are doing, here in this thread, is generally highly frowned upon here on Zilvia. We emphasize research and searching for yourself. We get offended/pissy when someone simply wants answers handed to them. We all started off with not a lot of knowledge on this subject ourselves. The difference is the older guys didn't have easy answers at our fingertips. we spent our time browsing Japanese websites that we couldn't even read to find out what parts were out there somewhere. We couldn't post a dumbass thread asking for info on a spoon, it wasn't there. As an example, I was browsing around zilvia in the early 2000's when it was a new website. I was all ready to sign up, had my SN picked out, went through the menus, all I had to do was click "accept" and I was in. I decided NOT to SPECIFICALLY because I didn't want to be the village idiot and ended up not even joining untill I bought my second 240 and was setting it up for track events. THAT'S our attitude. It's not that we mind helping people. It's just that we get sick of seeing the same threads and questions posted over and over again. It's about RESPECT, which is something that's no longer taught to kids IMO.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #80
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Look, defend yourself all you want. In the end it's just excuses. What you are doing, here in this thread, is generally highly frowned upon here on Zilvia. We emphasize research and searching for yourself. We get offended/pissy when someone simply wants answers handed to them. We all started off with not a lot of knowledge on this subject ourselves. The difference is the older guys didn't have easy answers at our fingertips. we spent our time browsing Japanese websites that we couldn't even read to find out what parts were out there somewhere. We couldn't post a dumbass thread asking for info on a spoon, it wasn't there. As an example, I was browsing around zilvia in the early 2000's when it was a new website. I was all ready to sign up, had my SN picked out, went through the menus, all I had to do was click "accept" and I was in. I decided NOT to SPECIFICALLY because I didn't want to be the village idiot and ended up not even joining untill I bought my second 240 and was setting it up for track events. THAT'S our attitude. It's not that we mind helping people. It's just that we get sick of seeing the same threads and questions posted over and over again. It's about RESPECT, which is something that's no longer taught to kids IMO.
call it excuses man i dont really care and i dont know your story on how you get started with all this and you have probably seen posts worse than this but this is the first forum i ever joined since i came here, i dont expect to be spoon fed, all i want is to know and avoid some of the basic mistakes most people made so i dont end up wasting money and feeling sorry for getti g the wrong car or parts..dude we clearly have a different view of respect..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #81
NAIRB
Leaky Injector

NAIRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i dont expect to be spoon fed, all i want is to know and avoid some of the basic mistakes most people made

Dude this is the point he is trying to make. Them "basic mistakes" are things that you could easily figure out yourself by spending some time reading and researching things, and just working on cars. We have all spent our time doing this, some magical alien from jupiter didn't come down an just grant everyone knowledge about cars. No they spent there time an learned from experience.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #82
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB View Post
Dude this is the point he is trying to make. Them "basic mistakes" are things that you could easily figure out yourself by spending some time reading and researching things, and just working on cars. We have all spent our time doing this, some magical alien from jupiter didn't come down an just grant everyone knowledge about cars. No they spent there time an learned from experience.
That's it in a nutshell, right on the money.

You don't gain knowledge by asking stupid questions in a stupid thread. You don't learn a damned thing like that. Information that is simply handed to you never really sinks in. You NEED the experience. You NEED to put the time into YOUR OWN research. That's the ONLY way you learn anything. With YOUR OWN blood, sweat, and tears.

Those of us that have bled our own blood, shed our own sweat, and "cried" our own "tears" see is as a disrespect when others are not willing to put in that kind of effort. That's what it's really about is the EFFORT that you put in. Lots of effort earns respect. Minimal effort earns you the opposite.

Personally I think I have been really rather kind and patient in this thread, which is not typical of me in these kinds of treads. I'm trying to pass-on the knowledge of acquiring your own knowledge. It's sickening how that is taken as such an insult be the vast majority of younger generations. I'm not even that old and I can see the difference in attitude between the guys that I grew up with and the noobs today.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #83
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Simplicity is your best friend.

Try and nab a ka24de car at the very least, or something with a stock-ish sr20det swap.

upgrade that clutch asap. exedy stage 2 (3 puck cerametallic), make sure you get the one with the thick clutch pads. There is a version with thin pads, and is not suitable for every day use.

Sticky front tires. Star specs, etc. makes your life a fair bit easier when initiating.

Rebuild your rear calipers, adjust your ebrake handle, and get grippy rear pads. I recommend porterfield R4-S.

Decent coilovers. You can get the entry level D-Max! coilovers for 750 shipped in think.

Rear subframe collars, but subframe risers are the better choice.

replace all your worn out bushings

Get a welded diff,

keep it 4 lug, and smoke out your stock 15's and go party.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #84
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Livid_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
and hey i appreciate u being honest bro and one more question, civics really? i know u can drift FWDs but civics?..i know you are talking about the EGs, EKs and others Tapatalk
Dude, you can't drift a civic.

Source: I own a 2000 si.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #85
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid_240sx View Post

Park your rear tires on pizza pans or mcDonalds trays, rip your Ebrake up and VIOLA. As close as you can get to drifting a Civic

Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #86
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

You don't gain knowledge by asking stupid questions in a stupid thread. You don't learn a damned thing like that. Information that is simply handed to you never really sinks in. You NEED the experience. You NEED to put the time into YOUR OWN research. That's the ONLY way you learn anything. With YOUR OWN blood, sweat, and tears.

Those of us that have bled our own blood, shed our own sweat, and "cried" our own "tears" see is as a disrespect when others are not willing to put in that kind of effort. That's what it's really about is the EFFORT that you put in. Lots of effort earns respect. Minimal effort earns you the opposite.

Personally I think I have been really rather kind and patient in this thread, which is not typical of me in these kinds of treads. I'm trying to pass-on the knowledge of acquiring your own knowledge. It's sickening how that is taken as such an insult be the vast majority of younger generations. I'm not even that old and I can see the difference in attitude between the guys that I grew up with and the noobs today.
Very well said. Im only 26 years old but I Have 13 years of experience hands on and have been going to races and car shows for 20 years. That being said, I am only 3 years into my S-chassis knowledge and only 1 year into drifting.

I can see how one gets short and irritated with stupidity, but as an extremely knowledgable mechanic and enthusiast, even I have questions about things and will ask them. Being Rude is pointless. It actually takes effort to be an asshole and read someones thread, then type a sarcastic or hateful reply, All for what? So everyone on Zilvia knows not to ask you any questions and you maintain your COOL Guy points. Grow a PAIR and Talk mess to someones face if you wanna test your WIT!!!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #87
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:

look man, i appreciate you being kind enough to answer some of the questions that ive been asking..also i dont care if you're being sarcastic or an asshole all i care about is the knowledge not spoonfed but advices that could be helpful to keep me from beating around the bush for longer but dont give me that bullshit about blood,sweat and tears cuz dude, im 20 i got two jobs and im full time at school so i am
fully aware of what hardwork is and especially in my country and what happened now..

i respect your experience on cars but dont be underestimatin this generation just because you've seen like a thousand threads like this..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #88
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid_240sx View Post

i was saying that to myself too but when i saw these japanese guys competing on drift with those hatch civics, i kinda doubted it

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #89
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
Simplicity is your best friend.

Try and nab a ka24de car at the very least, or something with a stock-ish sr20det swap.

upgrade that clutch asap. exedy stage 2 (3 puck cerametallic), make sure you get the one with the thick clutch pads. There is a version with thin pads, and is not suitable for every day use.

Sticky front tires. Star specs, etc. makes your life a fair bit easier when initiating.

Rebuild your rear calipers, adjust your ebrake handle, and get grippy rear pads. I recommend porterfield R4-S.

Decent coilovers. You can get the entry level D-Max! coilovers for 750 shipped in think.

Rear subframe collars, but subframe risers are the better choice.

replace all your worn out bushings

Get a welded diff,

keep it 4 lug, and smoke out your stock 15's and go party.
yo bro i see you are a pinoy too..appreciate all the info but how does each stages of clutch differ from each other?..also, is your family safe back home?..heard what happened..

Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #90
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Livid_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i was saying that to myself too but when i saw these japanese guys competing on drift with those hatch civics, i kinda doubted it

Best you can to "drift" a civic is

1. Go high speed and rip E-brake

2. Whip it back and forth and slide out the tail.

Both will result in mild chuckle amusement at best.

God I need more money for my build.

Closed Thread