Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
L1ama
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
L1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it bad to full throttle on a motor?

Well im completely not good with cars, my dad keeps telling me that engine will break if its used at full throttle, hes saying that pistons and all that steel inside will break. I'm 16 right now, ill buy a car in 2 years, and I'm afraid that it will break if I drive it fast. My friend's dad has a very good car thats been running hard for 1 and a half years with no engine/tranny problems, so I'm asking my dad to explain that, he comes out with it will break soon. Can anyone tell me the lifespan of an engine, and what needs to be done to make it run good for longer time, thanks.
L1ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
evanl85
Zilvia Member

evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are you joking?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
kuramaya
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WOT at 14 PSI YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing feels or sounds better...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Pushing the limitations of an engine will shorten the life-span of the engine and transmission. As long as proper maintenance is done, you can maximize their life. Proper maintenane includes, regular oil changes, replacing plugs, oil filter, fuel filters, spark plugs, distributor caps and rotors, plug wires, water pump.. etc on their replacement "due date." A factory service manual will have an entire section devoted to regular maintenance and how often it is needed. Do not purchase a Haynes/Chilton manual, they are severly inadequate and can be too general at times. Go to the dealership and buy a Factory Service Manual and treat it like your bible. haha, read up.

Last edited by NemeGuero; 11-19-2005 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Fixed so ThatGuy can be happy. Haha
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
L1ama
BANNED

L1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-known
I'm not joking, my dad keeps bullshitting me with this stuff, I know that motors will last like a good few years at driving them really hard, other things will break down first, maybe tranny depends on how its used, but he keeps pissing me off, so I want some words from someone who knows about this stuff better than my dad.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
He's right. It wears much faster, as I said above.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
evanl85
Zilvia Member

evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Besides being right, I think your dad is just trying to convey the idea that it isn't a good idea to start driving like a jackass when you get your license, hence always driving "full throttle".
Old 11-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
full throttle is not as bad as redlining the motor.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Also please learn the difference between a MOTOR and an ENGINE.
One involves combustion, the other does not.

Your father is likely trying to scare you away from damaging the car or hiking up his insurance any higher then already having a 16 yr. old added to it. He will likely be impressed if you can present him with good facts about your engine and what it can and can't handle. Download the FSM on your vehicle and get to researching. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If you are serious, your pops is telling you this because he doesn't want you to fuck up something he has paid for and would likely have to pay to replace. The fact remains that, as has been mentioned, that a properly maintained engine will not ruin an engine, so long as you do not make it a frequent habit (see previous mentions of the terms "16 years old," "driving like a jackass" and "redline")

... on the other hand, if this thread gets out of hand and you are trolling, then I will unremorsefully lock this thread and someone may be in deep shit

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
yeah its bad stuff will start to break down and if you keep pushing it you're only going to cause more damage so stop with you're full throttle games, and learn how to drive you're 240 the right way dummy
Ricks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
^^ what he said

if you want to really impress your dad, treat your car better than yourself, it will pay off... you wont have day to day headaches with it, if its properly maintained...

by also treating it better than youself, this means dont go out and do doughnuts and get caught street racing. ITS NOT WORTH IT... if you really want to do this, get involved at autocrosses, drift days, whatever, as long as they are legal events...

ive done all that stupid shit when i was 16, now i HAVE to drive like an old man on the streets, due to the fact that if i get another ticket, i will have my license suspended, AGAIN...

above all else show that you are mature enough to drive your car, that will impress your dad the most
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
crioten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
if u are buying a BRAND NEW CAR OFF THE LOT, you are suppose to push the car gradually to break in the piston and the seals so they sit correctly. so if u are buying a brand new car your dad is wrong cuz you are suppose to push your car hard gradually over the first thousand or couple thousand

if ur buying used, disregard everything i said cuz your motor is already set in, correctly or incorrectly depending on the first owner
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
just treat your car well, its going to be hard to convince dad your not going to be a speed demon. btw are there any places to speed in brooklyn?
sblack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
heh... I remember when I was 16, my view on cars was so different than it is now. I've learned that its not driving like a jackass, especially in the first few years with your liscences, insurance, not knowing what ur doing with ur car, etc etc. If you are really interested in learning a thing or two, come out to ImportFanatix meets in brooklyn / long island / jersey. There are plenty of knowledgable people there who can teach you things the right way.

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
haha funny...

are you planning to buy a 240 (since you posted on this forum)?

my view on this is, good maintenance will keep your car happy regardless on how you drive it.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
haha funny...

are you planning to buy a 240 (since you posted on this forum)?

my view on this is, good maintenance will keep your car happy regardless on how you drive it.
yeah, but a car that is beat on needs more maintainance than a car babied. For example - during autoX season, my car get oil changes every 1500-2200 (depending on oil condition) vs the normal 3000-3500 when i'm not autoXing.

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPCWiz
yeah, but a car that is beat on needs more maintainance than a car babied. For example - during autoX season, my car get oil changes every 1500-2200 (depending on oil condition) vs the normal 3000-3500 when i'm not autoXing.
agreed

let me rephrase it then:

The harder you drive your car, the more you need to maintain it.

better?

good
Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #19
L1ama
BANNED

Yes, I'm planning on buying a 240sx s13, can you tell me more on these "ImportFanatix" meetings in Brooklyn, location/time/etc. My friends are not as much into cars as I am, so I think I'll have to go alone, distance is not a problem for me, I got a bmx bike to get around in Brooklyn.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #20
Irukandji
Post Whore!

You would find more info in the "regional forums" ...

that's what they are there for.

oh and your welcome
Old 11-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ama
Yes, I'm planning on buying a 240sx s13, can you tell me more on these "ImportFanatix" meetings in Brooklyn, location/time/etc. My friends are not as much into cars as I am, so I think I'll have to go alone, distance is not a problem for me, I got a bmx bike to get around in Brooklyn.
www.importfanatix.com

240sx's are old cars. flog it 24/7 and it will die on you. WOT 24/7 to redline is abusive, period. driving a car is abusive. stuff wears down and breaks. drive it harder and it wears down quicker. common sense.

the lifespan of an engine varies depending on the engine, how its used, and how well its maintained. the only way to 'turn back the clock' on an old engine is to rebuild it.

if you have a dedicated track car that spends its entire life at high rpms & full throttle, it's a good bet it won't last as long as one that was driven normally. that should also be common sense.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #22
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy

Your father is likely trying to scare you away from damaging the car or hiking up his insurance any higher then already having a 16 yr. old added to it. He will likely be impressed if you can present him with good facts about your engine and what it can and can't handle. Download the FSM on your vehicle and get to researching. Good luck.
"The basic difference is this:
A motor (or, more formally, an electric motor) is a device which converts
electrical energy into mechanical energy. They come in all variety of size
and type. It is rather easy to build a simple one, and I am sure that any
good science store would have kits to do that, or books to guide you
through a home project.
An engine (or, more formally, a heat engine) is a device that converts
chemical energy or heat energy into mechanical energy. The three main
types are the internal combustion piston engine (like the engine in your
automobile, gas turbine engines (like the powerplants used in jet
aircraft), and steam engines. There are kits available for steam engines
(check out Edmund Scientific), and there are plastic models to display the
components of automotive engines. again found in most good science
stores).
Hope this helps."

- Frederick J. Carranti, P.E.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5265.Eg.r.html

I knew the information above, but I needed reinforcement for my own practices. Hope that helps.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #23
Irukandji
Post Whore!

haha pwnd

msg legnth
Old 11-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #24
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Owned for stating a definition? To nobody who was arguing the contrary? Riiighht.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #25
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Well done Turdz. Thank you for reinforcing my argument.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #26
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Owned for stating a definition? To nobody who was arguing the contrary? Riiighht.
i dunno... who cares?

sorry for postwhoring
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #27
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Thats funny my mom slapped me when 15 for calling an engine a motor. She's a tech. so she can do shit like that.

To the thread starter; learn to drive slow befor you drive fast, speed kills.
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #28
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
dude, do yourself a favour and dont even talk to you parents about cares. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and all i talked about was 240's for a year before getting my license. Now my parents know i want to drive fast and recklessly, and race or whatever. BAM im driving a mini van. Took me 2 years to make my parents let me register my 240. Show NO interest in cars. Then when it comes time, find a decent 240 or whatever u want and when your parents see it they wont be hard to please with your first car.

p.s. my van was faster then my 240, so the joke was on them.
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #29
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinrekka
dude, do yourself a favour and dont even talk to you parents about cares. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and all i talked about was 240's for a year before getting my license. Now my parents know i want to drive fast and recklessly, and race or whatever. BAM im driving a mini van. Took me 2 years to make my parents let me register my 240. Show NO interest in cars. Then when it comes time, find a decent 240 or whatever u want and when your parents see it they wont be hard to please with your first car.

p.s. my van was faster then my 240, so the joke was on them.
I NEVER talk to my parents about cares... fuck that.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #30
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

nsn240 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nsn240
i tell them very limited... my dad hears way more than my mom, he loves my car
nsn240 is offline   Reply With Quote