Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #61
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Everyone has a story "i bought my clean original 240sx for 2 chickens" no one gives a shit.
Its sad, everyone that drives a 240sx is to blame why they are so expensive. Simple supply and demand. How come a pinto is not expensive? Cause no one wants that shit. Look at the ae86 and 510, people with clean 240's keep them clean. End.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #62
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
people with clean 240's keep them clean. End.
No they really don't, there have been a lot of nice cars that are now missiles(or scrap metal) once this drift craze caught on. Only the ones that really care to have clean cars will keep them clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #63
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i work at a dealership and i always get people coming in claiming that kbb has a higher offer for their car or that it says its cheaper than what we are selling it for... and i smile and tell them to let kbb buy their car.. oh wait.. kbb doesnt buy cars. kbb really screws people over when you get in an accident and you cant get the true value of your car on an insurance claim. you can find 240'sfor under 2k but they will most likely be beaten to heck or have motor problems ooooor itll be a shell, drift tax is a bish and if you dont have the time and money to work on your car then dont get a 240sx... ask anyone who owns their car on here. you buy a 240 you're buying a project.
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #64
hatchtastic
Zilvia Member

hatchtastic is an unknown quantity at this point
I paid kbb value for my car. It's a 93 se coupe 5 speed with every option minus leather. She had 56k miles on her when I bought it 7 months ago. Paid 3400 and it had never been touched. Literally everything on it was original lol. It's far from that now
hatchtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #65
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

I paid half of KBB for my car in 2010, but look at it this way next year 93s disappear off the KBB site and by 2015 all S13s will be off. Soon people will not be able to check and complain about this shit.
Quote:

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #66
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchtastic View Post
I paid kbb value for my car. It's a 93 se coupe 5 speed with every option minus leather. She had 56k miles on her when I bought it 7 months ago. Paid 3400 and it had never been touched. Literally everything on it was original lol. It's far from that now
And you just added to racepar's explanation of supply and demNd for clean 240sx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #67
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
i paid half of kbb for my car in 2010, but look at it this way next year 93s disappear off the kbb site and by 2015 all s13s will be off. Soon people will not be able to check and complain about this shit.
+1..........
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #68
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
But when Q crashes into 240sx it rips through it like it's tinfoil
Gas is just couple bucks extra, however driving the Q is a huge smile on face. That can't be bought back with couple of extra bucks saved from gas money. But the money you save on not having to do engine swap easily evens out.
I already have easy 300lbs stripped of my Q. There is plenty room for more weight to be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
And it weighs twice as much and gets half the gas mileage.

Those cars are not comparable dude.

I'll now compare a 997 porsche GT3 with a prius. That's sensible right???
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #69
powermymotor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
powermymotor is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
i work at a dealership and i always get people coming in claiming that kbb has a higher offer for their car or that it says its cheaper than what we are selling it for... and i smile and tell them to let kbb buy their car.. oh wait.. kbb doesnt buy cars. kbb really screws people over when you get in an accident and you cant get the true value of your car on an insurance claim. you can find 240'sfor under 2k but they will most likely be beaten to heck or have motor problems ooooor itll be a shell, drift tax is a bish and if you dont have the time and money to work on your car then dont get a 240sx... ask anyone who owns their car on here. you buy a 240 you're buying a project.
I am expecting a project car not too much though ..engine management..if i knew more..upgraded turbo..widebody s13 ...maaco purple paint
powermymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #70
ocn
Zilvia Member

ocn is on a distinguished road
i wonder why or i should say .. i wonder HOW many times people are gonna keep asking this same stupid ass question? supply and demand, youtube, intial D, Tokyo drift, the list goes on an on. as long as idiots keep paying 3-4k for a old ass 240sx the price will remain the same. same thing with a Hachi Roku, your out of your god damn mind if you think im goin to pay 6k for a car that was made 27yrs ago. its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #71
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
qft, can I have it for sig?

Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #72
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i wonder why or i should say .. i wonder HOW many times people are gonna keep asking this same stupid ass question? supply and demand, youtube, intial D, Tokyo drift, the list goes on an on. as long as idiots keep paying 3-4k for a old ass 240sx the price will remain the same. same thing with a Hachi Roku, your out of your god damn mind if you think im goin to pay 6k for a car that was made 27yrs ago. its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
I feel ya there so +1 its kind of like that for everything though with supply and demand i mean we have aero bumpers, and lips selling for more than what we payed for the car (yes im exaggerating a bit) there are people that are buying friggin toys for super large sums of money... its all idiot tax!

OP if you know its going t be a projectand dont mind then you should have no problems finding a good hatch for 2k with a blown gasket that youl fix..
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #73
ocn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
qft, can I have it for sig?
ROFL go with it
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #74
blue-silvergun

Trader Rating: (2)
blue-silvergun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fuck Kbb, I'm glad they stop counting after 20 years. some insurance company's go by the nada which is just as fucked and they keep counting after 20. I'd still like to think a clean s13 is worth between 3-4k. They are getting very hard to find. I would like to put full coverage on my 13 if they would give me more than 1800 for it. I cant find a similar one for that
blue-silvergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #75
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Call it what you want. Bitch all you want. NOTHING is going to change it. The value of these cars isn't going to go down. It will only continue to increase. That happens with any popular car as it ages. You have to realize that we're talking about 24-15 year old vehicles here, including s14's. Also keep in mind how many were destroyed during the drift craze years, which some argue still exist. The 240 will always be a "cult classic", and because of that they will always be worth money.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #76
ocn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Call it what you want. Bitch all you want. NOTHING is going to change it. The value of these cars isn't going to go down. It will only continue to increase. That happens with any popular car as it ages. You have to realize that we're talking about 24-15 year old vehicles here, including s14's. Also keep in mind how many were destroyed during the drift craze years, which some argue still exist. The 240 will always be a "cult classic", and because of that they will always be worth money.
i know, i could give 2 shits .. im saying its a stupid ass question, hes old enough to know what economics are. bottom line
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #77
GANBATTE

GANBATTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The 240 will always be a "cult classic", and because of that they will always be worth money.
write that down.

The clean 100% stock / OEM ones are extremely hard to find. Owners of these clean S13/S14's are usually approached and made aware of the value ("if you ever sell, let me know!") Took yrs to find my second owner 95 zenki 100% stocker. Its garaged and I just keep it clean.
GANBATTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #78
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I sold my 92 w/ SR swap back in 2005 (bought the car in 2000), when the drift crazy was just starting to catch on. It's kind of funny that "drift tax" and "stupid Honduh guys wanting Nissans now" is still the same complaint as it was years ago. (Actually "stupid Honduh guys" is becoming a complaint on the G35/350Z forums now that prices are coming down. They even complain that they can't mod a G/Z on honda budgets... LOL)

When I decided I wanted to get another 240, nostalgia I guess, the search was a bit eye opening. Mostly it's really is getting hard to find one in good condition that hasn't been heavily modified and ratted out. But also mainly the people trying to sell stock 97-98 models for $8-10K because, "rare". Good to know the 97 I just picked up for less than $3k could turn a profit if needed.

Another thing to remember is that the prices for ALL used cars, not just 240s, have gone up in recent years due to the economy. People keeping cars on road longer, can't afford new ones, cash for clunkers, take your pick. KBB is a good gauge for cars less than 6-8 years old, after that it's really just a crap shoot of mileage and condition. KBB said my 97 was worth about 2 grand, edmund's TMV pegged it about 3.5. Take that for what it's worth.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #79
Hiighboost2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
Hiighboost2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hiighboost2
I had an awesome experience buying my car.
I got it with a misfire, horrible timing chain rattle, and a blown auto trans for like $800, but it was a complete car.
Replaced 1 injector, removed the top timing chain guide (it had snapped), and 5 speed swapped it.
I've had it for over 2 years now and have at least 7 events under its belt.
The old owner couldn't believe I was still running the same engine he sold it to me with. (stock KA with a bagillion miles)
These situations make for the best car buying experience IMO (if your looking for a project)
When the old owner is fed up with it or doesn't have the time to work on it, sometimes you luck out.

Instagram @hiighboost @iasperformance
Hiighboost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #80
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dluevanos01 View Post

So when prices of clean 240s rise, other sellers of beat up cars feel that they can justify higher prices because they are asking close to what the clean one sells for and theirs has more "valuable parts".
That's the problem.

If a car has megan or godspeed links, primered, with pulled quarters I don't see that as an upgrade. It will cost me even more time and money to replace with stock or aftermarket. I don't even look at cars if they have pulled or dented quarter panels. The cost of fixing that at a bodyshop will cost upwards of 3K+

Now on the other hand, if modified cars actually had quality parts on it that I desire like an SR with a real Greddy manifold, Blitz exhuast, spl links, etc. then I would be willing to pay more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
and if you dont have the time and money to work on your car then dont get a 240sx... ask anyone who owns their car on here. you buy a 240 you're buying a project.
Never have truer words been spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #81
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
Never have truer words been spoken.
More than that, 240's are getting to the point that to make one nice you're buying a RESTORATION project. 20+ year old trims and seals are not going to be good, no matter how nice the rest of the car is. Restoring a car is not cheap, or easy.

I'll expand on my previous statement of calling the 240 (S13) a "cult classic" and just call it a regular Japanese classic car. I was thinking about it yesterday and the following of these cars is rather broad to call it a "cult classic". The interesting thing about the 240's is that they were not very popular as new cars. This is also contributing to the current price of the used ones. As these cars age they may gain value faster than other, more popular when they were new, Japanese classic cars.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #82
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
That's the problem.

If a car has megan or godspeed links, primered, with pulled quarters I don't see that as an upgrade. It will cost me even more time and money to replace with stock or aftermarket. I don't even look at cars if they have pulled or dented quarter panels. The cost of fixing that at a bodyshop will cost upwards of 3K+

Now on the other hand, if modified cars actually had quality parts on it that I desire like an SR with a real Greddy manifold, Blitz exhuast, spl links, etc. then I would be willing to pay more.
I completely agree. I don't see a point in buying non-quality parts. I would rather pay more for a car that has "less" aftermarket parts but that are quality, than a "fully built" or "done" car with cheap parts. Some people are too anxious an buy the cheapest part just to have a modded car, when they could have saved for a little longer and get something that is quality.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #83
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
More than that, 240's are getting to the point that to make one nice you're buying a RESTORATION project. 20+ year old trims and seals are not going to be good, no matter how nice the rest of the car is. Restoring a car is not cheap, or easy.
Pretty much. As old as these cars are, even if you are lucky to find one with 150k to be a reliable daily driver (most are pushing 200K+, on their last breath, or have "rebuilt" motors), you'd still have to do a lot of maintenance and replace parts. It's to a point that, if you want one as a nice and reliable daily driver, you WILL have to sink a lot of money into it replacing almost everything.

To me, they are restoration projects/toy cars to have on the side. I crashed my last s13 coupe that I used daily, but have since got a newer car for commuting and it's pretty nice not to have to worry at the back of my head about when it will die on the road unexpectedly. It was pretty reliable, but pushing upwards of 230K I knew it had to go sometime even though I was confident it would make it to at least 300k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #84
powermymotor
Leaky Injector

powermymotor is an unknown quantity at this point
1 more year and this car s13 will become a classic japanese car haha
powermymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #85
Drewber2006
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Drewber2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermymotor View Post
I am expecting a project car not too much though ..engine management..if i knew more..upgraded turbo..widebody s13 ...maaco purple paint
I really think at least 80% of all 240 owners are just straight up broke.

You shouldn't even attempt ANY project unless you are this guy....

Drewber2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #86
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewber2006 View Post
It's the new Honda. More than half of that 80% still live with their parents and most likely still under age of 25.

I mean, how many 19 years olds still asking the same following questions:

1) Is this a good price for the car?
2) Will this <engine, suspension, etc> part fit to my car?
3) I didn't use google, so help me with this <insert question already answered via nico, ka-t, 240sxforums, etc>?

Quote:
Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #87
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewber2006 View Post

You shouldn't even attempt ANY project unless you are this guy....

what he said, or unless you plan on being broke for the foreseeable future, and then a little longer...... and a bit longer more...... then a tad bit more..... and then....some more...... and it keeps going until you just learn to live with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #88
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Will anyone have a 240 40 years from now?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #89
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
mhh, wonder if i'd be 60-70 yo and still own my s14 and hear young guys say:
I heard that old man down the corner owns one of them old "s14's" with some sort of engine swap.
then the other guy says
haha, poor fucker must still think his shit box can keep up with my 6k watt (hybrid know it all's, forgive my ignorance) prius haha
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #90
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
I see people still owning them but for some reason there is a law prohibiting fossil fuel cars from being started.
Quote: