Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #871
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
@Bigmike, tolerable in what way? Most pieces that you take from xterra that I know of are to shorten gears / climb higher, numerically. 4.6 ratio territory.
After ?05? You can get lower numeric gearing but I?m totally unfamiliar with what diff is even back there. Sorry.
Here?s one of the mostly complete listings I?ve found for R200?s.
http://www.eatsleepboost.lt/tech-inf...0-diff-ratios/

Other part is pathfinder 5th gear is 0.811 on an FS5r30a box. Probably unrelated to what you were talking about though?

Edit: Xrerra that I?m familiar with is 37:8 and 51:11. Idk if it?s even possible, but 37 gear on 12 or 13 pinion yields 3:1 territory but in my opinion that?s much too low.

Tolerable as in longer gearing for lower RPM?s on highway driving. Thanks for the link I?ll take a look through it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #872
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint40 View Post
Would there be a recommended diff swap for this that wouldn't break the bank?
Would one of the r32/3/4 diffs or s15 6 speed helical diff be good enough?
AGAIN, it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

if its going to be street driven, pick a taller final drive like z33 (those diffs are plenty beefy)

if its drift use only on shorter courses, a s-chassis diff with 4.08 will work, and you still have 4.3 or even 4.6 options,

if you run FD then just buy a winters quickchange.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #873
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
.........Or just use a Q45 3.69 as it's a direct drop in

I have a JK41 with a 4.08 diff. It was cool for all of the first 10 miles because I thought I was Tommi Makinen going through several Monte Carlo stages. Then, I realized 2 things

1) 6th gear on the highway @ 75-80 (cruising speed around here) I am sitting at 3500RPM depending on my tire height
2) Rowing through gears, especially with my wide power-band (3700 - 8K), I actually lose time by rowing through gears, not being in the correct gear or rpm, etc. as the car is a dual duty street, HPDE car. I am actually thinking of swapping back to the Z32 with the 4.08 in all honesty.

Go with a 3.69.....
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #874
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Funny you mentioned that. That was a thought I had.
Which is why I’m also looking into sourcing / using a z31/R33 box. There’s a few gear sets available to custom tailor for FS5R30A too, which is nice.
You don’t feel a lower numerical gear rear would help?

It also kinda bums me how low the cd009 trans sticks out from frame rails. I would no doubt be fabricating some kind of skid plate to help with that.
Is the gearbox actually level and it still sticks that low? Or does everyone have it angled to clear tunnel?
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:40 AM   #875
mint40

Trader Rating: (0)
mint40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
AGAIN, it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

if its going to be street driven, pick a taller final drive like z33 (those diffs are plenty beefy)

if its drift use only on shorter courses, a s-chassis diff with 4.08 will work, and you still have 4.3 or even 4.6 options,

if you run FD then just buy a winters quickchange.

I'm street/canyon driven. I currently have a s15 6 speed diff
mint40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #876
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Z34 is a 3.69
Pretty costly way to get a 3.69 I picked up my 3 69 form a AWD Infiniti m35 for 130 shipped iirc. Recently made a info post of the 350z style diff and axles listing the all the gear ratios and where to get the.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #877
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Funny you mentioned that. That was a thought I had.
Which is why I?m also looking into sourcing / using a z31/R33 box. There?s a few gear sets available to custom tailor for FS5R30A too, which is nice.
You don?t feel a lower numerical gear rear would help?

It also kinda bums me how low the cd009 trans sticks out from frame rails. I would no doubt be fabricating some kind of skid plate to help with that.
Is the gearbox actually level and it still sticks that low? Or does everyone have it angled to clear tunnel?
Getting 3.69 diff is IMMENSELY cheaper and easier to fit that pulling an entire gearbox down, stripping it, refitting gears, and reinstalling it

Old 04-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #878
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
.........Or just use a Q45 3.69 as it's a direct drop in
Except theres 0 aftermarket lsd options for that diff.

Quote:
1) 6th gear on the highway @ 75-80 (cruising speed around here) I am sitting at 3500RPM depending on my tire height
Stock sr trans is nearly the same rpm in 5th at those speeds so what's the big deal lol. An sr will cruise at 4k all day long and be no worse off.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #879
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

1- The Q45 comes in 2 variants; The one in question is a R200 and every 240SX LSD options works for the 97-01 (if my memory serves me correctly) Q45 diff

2 - Regardless on if an SR will cruise at that speed or not, in our tin cans it becomes annoying.....and just burns more gas. I do not need "all of it" when I am cruising. My setup literally pulls from 3200 all the way to 8500 RPM. AT highway speeds, with the wheels already loaded/spinning, I can dip into boost by just blinking my eye. It becomes annoying constantly going from open/close/open loop just to change lanes.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #880
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Getting 3.69 diff is IMMENSELY cheaper and easier to fit that pulling an entire gearbox down, stripping it, refitting gears, and reinstalling it

Exactly. That was my point.

I?m just curious what box would suit the 3.69/3.73 gears of q45/8.8 respectively.
Seems to be a lot of messing around with the z33 box but you have a tough ass box (although it hangs low), or would a z31/r33 box suit me.

Idk. Got some shit to think about. The biggest thing I need to know is if the Collins adapter is a good buy or not.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #881
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Exactly. That was my point.

I?m just curious what box would suit the 3.69/3.73 gears of q45/8.8 respectively.

Seems to be a lot of messing around with the z33 box but you have a tough ass box (although it hangs low), or would a z31/r33 box suit me.

Idk. Got some shit to think about. The biggest thing I need to know is if the Collins adapter is a good buy or not.
100% would not buy from collins again

Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #882
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

A Z32 is almost as strong as the cd009, doesn't hang quite as low and is perfectly suited to the stock 4.08 ratio diff
Old 04-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #883
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
100% would not buy from collins again

You are not unique in saying this. ALOT of guys from the 2JZ to Z32 community absolutely refuse to work with Collins....ever!
Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #884
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
I went with the serialnine kit - hands down such a nice solid kit. It?s a few bucks more than Collins but so worth it

Old 04-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #885
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

I wanted Collins for the KA and RB adaptability. I have KA with RB intentions. That kit coulda killed two birds.
What about the Collins kit was bad?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #886
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I wanted Collins for the KA and RB adaptability. I have KA with RB intentions. That kit coulda killed two birds.
What about the Collins kit was bad?
Mainly how he conducts business. I ordered my K-series to CD00x adapter calling him before I put the order in as the his site says "out of stock, most items restock within a month". He told me yeah you'll have in a month as there's a wait list on machining. so I ordered it 17MAY18 for 2200$... Hoping it would come in before I go to bootcamp in 2 months, so I could at least have Kswap mounted and start major fabrication before i left.

While in A school in FL i was pretty patient until I was getting ready to go home on leave for thanksgiving and work on the car some more. contacted him via email on 02AUG18 and it went like this...

Quote:
Dear Brett Collins,

I know we talked the other week about delays and you said you it would be done soon. but do you have an estimated completion or ship date for the adapter kit?

Thank you,
M***** N******
Quote:
We are trying to get these done asap, we go the machine back up recently so it shouldn't be too much longer.

thanks again M***
Quote:
Dear Brett Collins,

ASAP is nice to hear, but every time I've gotten in contact with you, there's seems to be some kind of hang up in your shop. When I ordered it on 17/4/2018 you said it would about a month (wait list which I understand) and I might not see it before Bootcamp. On 14/7/2018 I called you because my father hadn't received it yet and you told me you have machinery go down and had just got it back online that day and would be starting on my adapter soon. I emailed you last week asking for an ETA and you just tell me ASAP. ASAP is nice but you told me over a month ago "soon", giving me a projected completion date is what I'm asking for here.

Thank you,
M****** N*****
After that silence till 20SEP18, where he emailed me a a tracking number for the "adapter plate and clutch system". When I got back to VA in November I opened the box to find everything but the flywheel was in the box. And the stage 3 clutch that came with, as i didnt have the extra 1200 for a twin disk, I found out after looking up the part number on the pressure plate was a 130$ Ebay special Stage 3, 6 puck 350z clutch. I called him immediately, don't recall the conversation but on 14DEC18 (2 weeks after I went back to FL) he emailed me a tracking number for the flywheel.

Needless to say I was the guiney pig on this one and doubt he has sold anymore. The kit its self was ok looking it over, having never done something like this before. The adapter plate bolt had 2 bags labeled "2JZ CD009" and "K20/K24 CD009". Not all bolts fit and the two lower transmission bolts could not be found from the bags. When I replaced the engine, from bending a rod at 14psi going to ham on E85 igition timing, I had found that the pilot bushing after only about 3000miles was still ok to the input shaft but would slip right out of the flywheel. From day 1 I've always had input shaft bearing noise with the clutch engaged which I assumed was from a used tranny. I had got from a friend for free after putting a new motor and tranny in his 03 Z but he told me that was a new noise. After seeing that I'm not sure if the transmission is concentrically centered with the engine.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #887
slideyboiz240

Trader Rating: (0)
slideyboiz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CD009 Collins Adapter 2jzgtevvti

Hello, I am swapping a 2jzgtevvti into an s13, using a collins adapter plate and a ACT clutch. I read somewhere (and cannot find that source again) that the input shaft needed to be cut 1/4 of an inch in order to not bottom out on the crank. After beveling a small amount off the input shaft and attempting to mate the engine and trans, the bellhousing is roughly 1/2 inch away from being flush with the engine. I did make sure that the splines on the input shaft were correctly matched up with the clutch but, the trans wont go any further. My concern is if I cut more off the input shaft, I could cut too small and if I dont cut more and tighten it up with the bellhousing bolts, it could mess up my crank.

Any suggestions or input?
slideyboiz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #888
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

EDIT —> L O LOLOL!!! Disregard this. I brain farted
Old 04-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #889
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Mainly how he conducts business. I ordered my K-series to CD00x adapter calling him before I put the order in as the his site says "out of stock, most items restock within a month". He told me yeah you'll have in a month as there's a wait list on machining. so I ordered it 17MAY18 for 2200$... Hoping it would come in before I go to bootcamp in 2 months, so I could at least have Kswap mounted and start major fabrication before i left.

While in A school in FL i was pretty patient until I was getting ready to go home on leave for thanksgiving and work on the car some more. contacted him via email on 02AUG18 and it went like this...

After that silence till 20SEP18, where he emailed me a a tracking number for the "adapter plate and clutch system". When I got back to VA in November I opened the box to find everything but the flywheel was in the box. And the stage 3 clutch that came with, as i didnt have the extra 1200 for a twin disk, I found out after looking up the part number on the pressure plate was a 130$ Ebay special Stage 3, 6 puck 350z clutch. I called him immediately, don't recall the conversation but on 14DEC18 (2 weeks after I went back to FL) he emailed me a tracking number for the flywheel.

Needless to say I was the guiney pig on this one and doubt he has sold anymore. The kit its self was ok looking it over, having never done something like this before. The adapter plate bolt had 2 bags labeled "2JZ CD009" and "K20/K24 CD009". Not all bolts fit and the two lower transmission bolts could not be found from the bags. When I replaced the engine, from bending a rod at 14psi going to ham on E85 igition timing, I had found that the pilot bushing after only about 3000miles was still ok to the input shaft but would slip right out of the flywheel. From day 1 I've always had input shaft bearing noise with the clutch engaged which I assumed was from a used tranny. I had got from a friend for free after putting a new motor and tranny in his 03 Z but he told me that was a new noise. After seeing that I'm not sure if the transmission is concentrically centered with the engine.
Wow. What in THE F***. What a douchebag.
Alright man, there’s now like 6-7+ people in this thread alone saying no-go on the Collins kit for KA/RB to CD00. That def does it for me. I am SOO sorry for your guys’ headaches, but thank all you guys so much for contributing to this thread so others don’t have to go through the same unnecessary BULLSHIT.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #890
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Guys this SerialNine kit is the fugggin bees knees... Between the housing and the shifter this thing doesnt get any more straight forward. The quality is the truth and driving this thing with the shifter makes the car so much more fun. I was originally a little worried about some noises the trans makes when its just idling outta gear but after a little research people were saying thats common once you switch over to a lightweight flywheel.

Also I couldn't figure out how to set any gap on the internal slave so its just riding on the pressure plate but so far feels great. Please let me know if I missed something

Old 04-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #891
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Guys this SerialNine kit is the fugggin bees knees... Between the housing and the shifter this thing doesnt get any more straight forward. The quality is the truth and driving this thing with the shifter makes the car so much more fun. I was originally a little worried about some noises the trans makes when its just idling outta gear but after a little research people were saying thats common once you switch over to a lightweight flywheel.

Also I couldn't figure out how to set any gap on the internal slave so its just riding on the pressure plate but so far feels great. Please let me know if I missed something

What shifter were you running before?

Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #892
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
What shifter were you running before?

First shifter I ran on this setup. Coming from an R-154 that shifted like a truck

Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #893
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

So glad to hear that. They want a million bucks but it seems like solid, top tier quality shit man.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #894
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
So glad to hear that. They want a million bucks but it seems like solid, top tier quality shit man.

It?s a tad pricey for sure but you absolutely get what you pay for. When I was pricing versus Collins kit I think it wasn?t too great of a difference when using the A340 housing maybe under a grand difference and after seeing the negative reviews I?m so glad I went this route.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #895
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
First shifter I ran on this setup. Coming from an R-154 that shifted like a truck

Damn I was hoping to hear a good comparison. I'm not really happy with the shift feel of my GKtech. Just play from the bushing setup they use, unlike serial9s rod end. Hmmm I could mod it next time it's out for one...

Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #896
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Damn I was hoping to hear a good comparison. I'm not really happy with the shift feel of my GKtech. Just play from the bushing setup they use, unlike serial9s rod end. Hmmm I could mod it next time it's out for one...

What?s the issue with that shifter? Seems like a solid setup

Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #897
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

You know how the oem 5SPD shifter always has some slop even with the metal bush. The gktech setup feel is nice but with the short throw the sloppy of the shift level to bush and bush to selector arm is almost the the same distance as going from 1-3 or 3-5. Took me a quite a while to get a feel for it and many missshifts. Thankfully all k24 have the same valve springs as a k20 so it wont explode seeing +9k rpm briefly.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #898
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
You know how the oem 5SPD shifter always has some slop even with the metal bush. The gktech setup feel is nice but with the short throw the sloppy of the shift level to bush and bush to selector arm is almost the the same distance as going from 1-3 or 3-5. Took me a quite a while to get a feel for it and many missshifts. Thankfully all k24 have the same valve springs as a k20 so it wont explode seeing +9k rpm briefly.

Oof.. yeah thats sketchy. The first day I drove it I did shift into the wrong gears a few times just because they are so close but there?s virtually zero slop it?s just a matter if getting used to it

Old 04-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #899
240msh
Zilvia Member

240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Had to pull the engine and bash the shit outta the tunnel for a better fit. Here's the final placement of the shifter.

Finally got my shifter and for some weird ass reason when in neutral pushing the shifter forward would be 5th gear and I have to go over to the left for 3rd. Sadly I?m almost positive it?s 5th too lol, I?ll figure it out once my driveshaft gets ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #900
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240msh View Post
Finally got my shifter and for some weird ass reason when in neutral pushing the shifter forward would be 5th gear and I have to go over to the left for 3rd. Sadly I?m almost positive it?s 5th too lol, I?ll figure it out once my driveshaft gets ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was bugging too before I actually got my driveshaft. The gears are so damn close i didn?t know if I was in 5th or 3rd but 3rd is literally pushing straight forward (no force to either left or right). 5th is SUCH a small push to the right and forward it takes serious getting used to and then setting the reverse lock out is easy once you get that down. Watch their video on setting that.