Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1471
Keith_Bergen

Trader Rating: (1)
Keith_Bergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Grigio Antares Titanium Metallic from Lamborghini Murcielago

Last edited by Keith_Bergen; 08-05-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Keith_Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #1472
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
demonspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
yea...cuz custom candy purple is in most oem paint books ......right.......

lmao @ fuckin ass purple...imagine me going to a paint store:

Cashier: hi welcome to blah blah how can i help you?
me: yea im looking for a fucking ass purple?

Gabe do you think i could go into a store with a picture and they would be able to match it up? if not, then i would have to use my metal slurpee straw lol
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #1473
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
lmao @ fuckin ass purple...imagine me going to a paint store:

Cashier: hi welcome to blah blah how can i help you?
me: yea im looking for a fucking ass purple?

Gabe do you think i could go into a store with a picture and they would be able to match it up? if not, then i would have to use my metal slurpee straw lol
hmm,, Im'e not a big paint guy, but I doubt they would match it up perfectly..but also if you have a few clear pics an experienced paint guy would be able to custom mix something pretty close, I would probably have them prep a very small amount and go test it and see how it looks when its actually dry, then order more if it makes you happy..
for example I showed my last body shop guy the nissan chameleon mdinight purple and he said he could mix up a custom batch that would look the same and cost fraction on the price.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #1474
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
s13

i'm thinking for my (misty blue) s13 hatch with powdercoated neon candy orange wheels that these colors might look good, but not sure which would look better.

Frost blue metallic

or
Daytona Electric Blue

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #1475
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I've been lurking this thread for a while and for those of you who painted your cars yourselves, what kind of brand of paint do you guys use for your car? and also the type of clear coat? Thanks
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #1476
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpants View Post
i'm thinking for my (misty blue) s13 hatch with powdercoated neon candy orange wheels that these colors might look good, but not sure which would look better.

Frost blue metallic
or
Daytona Electric Blue
With that wheel color, id recommend the Silver Metallic.

Here are some pics of my prev rides for reference

Silver Metallic

Daytona Electric Blue

mehsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #1477
boosted KA24DE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
boosted KA24DE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
everything on this car is REAAAAALLLY clean....it's just the body kit that our tastes aren't the same. Fast and the Furious 5 is gonna come out, and you car is in number 1. That is all. Good paint job!
Nevermind the car, is that a chicken coupe in the background? lmao
But seriously,lol...paint is nice, body kit....not so nice and old news.
boosted KA24DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #1478
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
i believe ive found the color ima hopefully paint my car this summer...

army rock metallic off the 2011 xB. saw it today on the road and it looks great.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #1479
Lovely Idol Inc.
Banned from the Marketplace

Lovely Idol Inc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lovely Idol Inc.
Quote:
yea...cuz custom candy purple is in most oem paint books ......right.......
Literally, walk into a fucking paint store that carries candy paints (usually it will be a house of color product but there obviously are others) And ask to see examples of the purple candies.

You want to spray the candy over a bright silver, open a color book.

By the way, the color code for the green wheels I painted:

CHRYSLER ELECTRIC LIME GREEN EFFECT 2004-2005
Paint code is: PGL/BGL in the color books.

The color is ALL pearls so it isn't easy to make the color show up in pictures, however in person OH MY GOD
Lovely Idol Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #1480
sunami02
Zilvia Member

sunami02 is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody know this color?
sunami02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #1481
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Idol Inc. View Post
Literally, walk into a fucking paint store that carries candy paints (usually it will be a house of color product but there obviously are others) And ask to see examples of the purple candies.
most fancy Candy paints..are not oem..
hence me saying you wont find all those candy paints in oem paint books.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #1482
Gription
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Gription is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gription
I need some guidance on painting my car. I have a 26 gal. compressor, paint, and a gun but nowhere with a climate controlled environment to spray it. Well I'm moving soon and I need to get this thing painted and finished so this has to happen soon.
How shitty will it turn out if I were to paint it outside on a day with somewhat decent weather with the tools I currently have? Will painting it outside make it prone to orange peel or runs??
Gription is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #1483
Lovely Idol Inc.

Quote:
most fancy Candy paints..are not oem..
hence me saying you wont find all those candy paints in oem paint books.
Candy is a tri-coat, needs to be sprayed over a base which = color book

You have to go to the paint store anyway for the base, so there you go
Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1484
Houseof1817
Zilvia Junkie

Houseof1817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunami02 View Post
anybody know this color?
I'm pretty sure that that is vinyl, just saying..
Purple Lavender Rainbow if you ask me. hah
Houseof1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #1485
edsones14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
edsones14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gription View Post
I need some guidance on painting my car. I have a 26 gal. compressor, paint, and a gun but nowhere with a climate controlled environment to spray it. Well I'm moving soon and I need to get this thing painted and finished so this has to happen soon.
How shitty will it turn out if I were to paint it outside on a day with somewhat decent weather with the tools I currently have? Will painting it outside make it prone to orange peel or runs??
Well sounds like u have the basic stuff. The most important thing is preperation of vehicle. Assuming all bodywork and prep work is done and cleaned with prep solvent then your half way there. Keep the surface as clean as possible, so outside is not a good idea. I do it with small parts with no issues, but ive also been doing this for years. U dont have to worry so much about climate control as long as its not under 55-60 degrees out. Paint wont itomize right and u will get streaks, plus u have different catalyst and reducers for different temps.

Do u have a garage? LMK i can talk u through prepping a regular garage so u can spray it.
edsones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #1486
Gription
Zilvia Member

I have a garage, but it's pretty tight and isn't big enough to walk around the car on both sides to spray it.
I'm not looking for perfection honestly, just as long as it isn't runny or have orange peel.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #1487
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseof1817 View Post
I'm pretty sure that that is vinyl, just saying..
Purple Lavender Rainbow if you ask me. hah
nope, its paint in that picture. he went vinyl later.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #1488
Lovely Idol Inc.

Quote:
I have a garage, but it's pretty tight and isn't big enough to walk around the car on both sides to spray it.
I'm not looking for perfection honestly, just as long as it isn't runny or have orange peel.
Just paint the car and when the orange peel is ready to be sanded down and buffed out do it.

If you manage to spray a car with NO orange peel then you are officially a god.

One thing you can do to help is make sure you seal the car before you hit it with any color and splash some reducer in the sealer so it lays down nice and smooth, then when you spray the color don't use too high or low psi through the gun. When you get to clear don't spray unevenly, usually thats when you will get runs or dry spots. If you go too thick with the clear you can also get solvent pop and there really isn't anything you can do about it other than reclear the car....
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #1489
Lovely Idol Inc.

by the way, I paint all kinds of shit outside and it turns out just fine.

Like this entire car was sprayed outside including the wheels
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #1490
driftsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (54)
driftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpants View Post
Daytona Electric Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehsilvia View Post

Daytona Electric Blue

I used the same paint for my engine bay from them and mine came out much more dark/purplish than yours mehsilvia.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #1491
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So, I'm looking for JW0 millennium jade for my s14, since it's paint is absolutely trashed and it needs bodywork anyway. called up the local paint place which mixes dupont, and the lady couldn't find any nissan code JW0 in the computer, but she could find a JW1 which comes up as a yellowish green metallic with pearl effect from a 2000 nissan. Does JW0 have a pearl in it?

I've seen JW1 in lists of color codes for nissan online, but I couldn't find out which car it came on or any pictures of it. I'm probably going to go for it anyway, because yellow-green metallic pearl sounds exactly what I'm looking for, and that place is pretty cheap.

But, before I go and buy it, does anyone have a clue what the hell JW1 is?
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #1492
Gription
Zilvia Member

Quote:
One thing you can do to help is make sure you seal the car before you hit it with any color and splash some reducer in the sealer so it lays down nice and smooth, then when you spray the color don't use too high or low psi through the gun. When you get to clear don't spray unevenly, usually thats when you will get runs or dry spots. If you go too thick with the clear you can also get solvent pop and there really isn't anything you can do about it other than reclear the car....
I'm doing a single stage so I don't have to worry about the clear. Is a 26/gal compressor gonna be big enough to spray? And do you know around what pressure I should set it at?
This is giving me confidence, thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #1493
Lovely Idol Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
So, I'm looking for JW0 millennium jade for my s14, since it's paint is absolutely trashed and it needs bodywork anyway. called up the local paint place which mixes dupont, and the lady couldn't find any nissan code JW0 in the computer, but she could find a JW1 which comes up as a yellowish green metallic with pearl effect from a 2000 nissan. Does JW0 have a pearl in it?

I've seen JW1 in lists of color codes for nissan online, but I couldn't find out which car it came on or any pictures of it. I'm probably going to go for it anyway, because yellow-green metallic pearl sounds exactly what I'm looking for, and that place is pretty cheap.

But, before I go and buy it, does anyone have a clue what the hell JW1 is?
You should try to flip through a color book. Also, if the lady put an O instead of zero or vice versa then nothing will show up.

Quote:
I'm doing a single stage so I don't have to worry about the clear. Is a 26/gal compressor gonna be big enough to spray? And do you know around what pressure I should set it at?
This is giving me confidence, thanks!
You are going to have to play with pressure because it differs between guns, my guns are made by sata (like THE best money can buy) and I change pressure while I am spraying a lot because I want it to turn out a certain way. If it looks like it's going on too thick you are probably not using enough pressure or passing over it too slowly when you spray. If it looks dull and dry, you have too much pressure or are not close enough.

usually single stages will go VERY easily but as far as a 26 gallon tank, you may want to do one panel at a time instead of attacking the entire car. I have used 50 gallon tanks that couldn't keep up with me as well, but usually I only use the shop air lines which are all connected to a big industrial one.

Really, all you can do is try to spray something like a bumper or a hood and see if the compressor can keep up or not
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #1494
edsones14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Just paint the car and when the orange peel is ready to be sanded down and buffed out do it.

If you manage to spray a car with NO orange peel then you are officially a god.

U obviously have different standards, and your right u can paint outside all day. Someone with experience has a hard enough time doing it imagine someone who doesnt. True u can wet sand and buff out runs and orange peel depending how bad and then u have to deal with the ash and trash. Ur setting this dude up for failure. Give the guy some good advice not this bullshit u put on here. By the look of your pics u can tell u paint shit outside!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #1495
edsones14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I got it that your not looking for perfection but dont half ass it just because. Take your time and u will be much happier with end result. Lovely idol had some good advice but like i said i would try to keep it from being outside. Also u can buy some cheap plastic from harbor freight or something and build a overhang and put plastic up on the sides. Whatever u do good luck and post your pics when your done.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #1496
Lovely Idol Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsones14 View Post
U obviously have different standards, and your right u can paint outside all day. Someone with experience has a hard enough time doing it imagine someone who doesnt. True u can wet sand and buff out runs and orange peel depending how bad and then u have to deal with the ash and trash. Ur setting this dude up for failure. Give the guy some good advice not this bullshit u put on here. By the look of your pics u can tell u paint shit outside!
Thats pretty funny, you have no clue how many people spray outside of a paint booth and the shit turns out better. I do more custom shit than oem refinish and I DO know what I am talking about. The blue car that was painted outside is also a single stage, no buff, no runs, none of that shit and it is STILL nicer than oem refinished shit done in a booth.

Here is an example of my work outside the booth:

no sanding, no runs, no trash, no buffing, no nothing. Still better than 95% of the cut and buffed piles of shit I have seen and let alone had to fix.

If you CAN spray it inside your garage or do a make shift paint booth obviously you are in better shape, however spraying in paint booths by NO means indicates your paint will turn out well for one simple reason: THE PAINT BOOTH MOVES AIR AROUND AND WHEN YOU WALK AROUND IN IT GUESS WHAT GOES INTO THE AIR AND INTO YOUR PAINT.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #1497
TangeloZ

TangeloZ is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 350Z- House of Kolors Tangelo Orange and Black:

All stock, I bought this for my fiance, and had it painted her favorite color, everything is painted interior all the way to the stock rims.

Thanks for looking! Great cars guys.
TangeloZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #1498
TangeloZ

TangeloZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
i believe ive found the color ima hopefully paint my car this summer...

army rock metallic off the 2011 xB. saw it today on the road and it looks great.

Looks Great
TangeloZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #1499
edsones14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Thats pretty funny, you have no clue how many people spray outside of a paint booth and the shit turns out better. I do more custom shit than oem refinish and I DO know what I am talking about. The blue car that was painted outside is also a single stage, no buff, no runs, none of that shit and it is STILL nicer than oem refinished shit done in a booth.

Here is an example of my work outside the booth:

no sanding, no runs, no trash, no buffing, no nothing. Still better than 95% of the cut and buffed piles of shit I have seen and let alone had to fix.

If you CAN spray it inside your garage or do a make shift paint booth obviously you are in better shape, however spraying in paint booths by NO means indicates your paint will turn out well for one simple reason: THE PAINT BOOTH MOVES AIR AROUND AND WHEN YOU WALK AROUND IN IT GUESS WHAT GOES INTO THE AIR AND INTO YOUR PAINT.
Cant argue with the man on that point! In the past i have used some local booths to spray and i was not satisfied with my own work. Booths need maintenance and proper cleaning and if that is not happening then u will jack your shit up. In my case it was just alot more cutting and buffing that wouldnt of been necessary. Anyway thats why i just do it in my garage. I have also seen alot of crappy jobs even after buffing. Thats like an art in itself. Bottom line bro i didnt mean to blast or anything but i wanted to give the new guy some options so at the end of the day he is happy with the outcome and not creating more work for him. Im all about working smarter not harder. By the way nice pics of the rx.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #1500
Lite it up
Leaky Injector

Lite it up is an unknown quantity at this point
Lite it up is offline   Reply With Quote