Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
Kyo Kusanagi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Kyo Kusanagi is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kyo Kusanagi
Life Estimate on Engine

Currently its at 179,XXX miles. 1992 240sx LE. Its going to have a new head gasket, thermostat, and a new radiator. How long would you guys estimate on its life?
Kyo Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
broken_s13
Zilvia Member

broken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enough
Depends on the condition, how it was treated by previous owners, all that good crap.

If it was beaten on like a whore, not long.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
ive seen a lot of KAs die out around 180k.

not trying to scare you, its just what ive seen. most of it was a faulty radiator therefore overheating then dying
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
do a compression test. if you don't know how, search on google. lots of DIY guides... real simple.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
compression test, if all works out well, make sure you keep her well maintained and the sky is the limit provided previous owner(s) did not beat it to death for you.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Definately the way to go. Make sure to do ALL the recommended maintenance and it will be fine. Stuff like the timing chain and oil changes are important.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
jOeHaCk98
Zilvia Addict

jOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her selfjOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her self
ive seen 323,xxx before the tranny went out.. then the car was donated because the owner didnt want to fix the tranny. this was a SOHC.
jOeHaCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I've got over 180k on mine and I would assume the previous owner didn't take care of it. I picked it up for only $400 and I think I did the first tune up on the car, ever. Right now it has the timing chain rattle, but I did a compression test 2 weeks ago and it hit 160 160 159 160. So you never know.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
267,753 miles
Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
I have had several that were 200k and running strong. It really all depends on how previous owners mantained it.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
comp test., leak down test. check water pump, and oil pump while your at it. changing things like that keep it running a long time. rod bearings, main bearings, and conditions of the piston rings are what could shorten the life of your motor even though you have change all the other items.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
TAMTANIUM
Zilvia FREAK!

TAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the rough
250k right now...just got it rebuild. Hopefully it will last me till December winter break.
TAMTANIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
Kyo Kusanagi
Zilvia Junkie

Kyo Kusanagi is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to Kyo Kusanagi
thanks guys, well the car was maintained by a lady and she babied her quite a lot. The interior and exterior looks really good and new, paint is still shiny. Its just the engine that is worrying me. But thanks, i'll be sure to check out the water/oil pumps, chains, and what not. Just hope it doesn't die out on me.
Kyo Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #14
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
you can always swap a newer KA....

mine has 159,xxx. I think she is still going strong - though I have not done a compression test, yet. I do take care of the car pretty well...