Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
240Dave
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
240Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool How much do you spend per minute for racing.

So I was bored and threw together a quick list of what a couple different types of motorsports cost per minute. Not totally accurate since some places charge more, some less and some places give you more time, some less. But I figured it was interesting/fun enough to post.

Auto-x - $20 - 5 minutes - $4 per min
Kart - $20 - 10 minutes - $2.00 per min
Enduro-kart(6hr-5men) - $300 - 72min - $4.20 per min
Open track - $300 - 120minutes - $2.50 per min

Doesn't take into consideration travling expenses or wear items when you use your car vs someone's rental cart and all that stuff, but hey...I can only do so much.

You guys have anything to add?
240Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Let's see...

Drag Racing: 20$cdn for 10 13.5second passes : ~6.35$/min
Our Auto-X: 40$cdn for 5 min: ~5.71$/min
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm you guys are going about it all wrong.

Here are my numbers (think cheap!)

AutoX $8 dollars a min (SUCKS)

Open track (8hr day so lets give a few numbers)

3 hr driveing $1.5 a min, 5 hr driving $.4 cents a min. If i broke down my miles last event it would be a little less than 1 dollar a mile. Not bad at all. (THE WIN!)

Karting, 16.9 cents a lap (30 seconds or so) for 55 dollars that works out to 324 laps. Thats 162 mins of track time or so. Works out to 33 cents a minute give or take a few. (The cheapest because I'm not missing work, or paying for gas or the kart or anything else)
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
Rennen
Zilvia Addict

Rennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enough
Lets see,

My Home region autocross, Ozark Mountain Region.

$20 for 5(usually) runs about 50 sec per run, we will round up to a min for coasting back to the pits So its about $4 a min

St Louis Region, more open faster course, slightly more fun, but waaaayy too many people.

$20 for 3 runs, same low 50s runs, $6.67 per min, ripoff for sure

Kansas City Region, faster more open courses like stl, far less people.

$20 for 5 runs = $4 a min, but this region has a great option where you can run heat one, work 2 heats, pay an extra $5 and then run in another heat, so with that track time comes to $2.50 per min

All of this is with SCCA membership, as you can see, I like to go to the KC region whenever possible

I have yet to try track days, but as I see it, you may pay less per min on your car for track time, but there is more wear to the tires and brakes at those speeds, so that adds up to the cost.

-Matt

'89 Nissan 240SX fastback: #23 DSP/RallyMod2/Track Slut
'95 BMW 540i 6 speed: Ultimate Commuting Machine

PFM Racing
www.solo2.org
www.midwest240sx.com
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys forgot to include the cost of vehicle usage: gas, tires, brake pads, etc. When I was running my CP camaro we figured each run at an autocross with the car cost between $22-$24. This factors in entry fee, tire usage, brake pad wear, gas consumed, and a factor thrown for wear on the engine and fluid replacement.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by MovinUp-1
You guys forgot to include the cost of vehicle usage: gas, tires, brake pads, etc. When I was running my CP camaro we figured each run at an autocross with the car cost between $22-$24. This factors in entry fee, tire usage, brake pad wear, gas consumed, and a factor thrown for wear on the engine and fluid replacement.
he posted:

Quote:
Doesn't take into consideration travling expenses or wear items when you use your car

just talking about actual track time
a typical event runs me 300 dollars if you include tires and gas and all

i am about same w/ Thx247 (minus the auto-x one)
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
hmm...let's see...the last event i was at..

$120 for the day, $50 on gas, and didn't even go through an entire set of tires...

so $170...8 hours of track time in which i drove maybe 4 hours..so 240 minutes..

so about .71 cents per minute of track time...

logged just over 100 miles of actual track miles...

so about $1.47 for each mile...

not too shabby...

and there is another event on the 22nd of this month...
Old 10-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Just throwing some numbers in from my area:

Autox @ Local level:
$15 entry: 7 - 8 runs (including a fun run or 2 which ALWAYS is available it seems) on days without rain (events usually end earlier + no fun runs). 40 - 50 second course (depends on car/ driver). $3.20 to $2.25 per min.
@ Divisional level:
$20 entry: 5 - 6 runs (not including fun runs...) 70 - 90 second course (depends on car/ driver)
$3.40 - $2.25 per min.

Note: Some car clubs actually limit the number of entries and guarantee a certain number of runs. I've heard of the Ford and BMW clubs getting in like 9 or 10 runs on a 70 - 90 second course.

Drift Out Wednesdays:
$20 entry (i think): 3 - 5 runs at 30 to 40 seconds per run (not including time spinning out). $13.30 - $6.00 per minute

Haven't done a real track event yet (spent all the $ racing for a Solo II championship) but hope to soon.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
fastpace
Zilvia Addict

fastpace is an unknown quantity at this point
i didn't make it for the scheduled autox this weekend, but for fun runs it cost me $1 and i had four runs, so it cost me 25 cents per run.

"well, I go out, I do the practice, I think about it and I concentrate on one small thing I can change that will have an effect. I make that change then I go out and drive to my maximum." -Ayrton Senna
fastpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
lets not get into opportunity costs here...

then the track would be expensive...and I'll take any type of "math" that makes it look cheap! =P
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
a typical weekend 2 day HPDE with Nasa costs close to $500 when you factor in cost of entry, membership, travel expenses, tires, brakes, food, gas etc. you could also ammortize the cost of the safety gear that only gets used on track, so helmet, gloves, roll bar, harnesses,... this of course never takes oppertunity cost into the mix.. why?! because there is NOTHING better than driving! lol and thats just an HPDE. a typically club race weekend is about $1000 minimum.

so $500 for 2.5 hours on track.. 3.33 per minute. Still cheaper than most auto-xes.
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 AM   #12
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
doesn't even matter what the cost is per minute. i always end up spending everything i have.

New list:
Autox: everything i have.
Track: everything i have + credit
Drifting: everything i have + multiple trips to the junkyard
Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #13
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Having run with a few other groups, I think NASA is actually a relatively bad value (at least on the right coast). I did VIR full w/ CarGuys a couple of months ago and got 3 days @ 100 min/day for a discounted rate of $525. That means $1.75 (excluding costs) per minute to run VIR full!! Doing Summit next month for $1.85/min. I don't think there is any good way to factor tires, brakes, etc. into this equation b/c it is too driver and car dependant (even with several track days, I could have a set of R compounds and brakes last all year).

At a local autox, I'd be lucky to get four 50 second runs for $30 (>$8/min.)
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote