Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #151
lechu84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
lechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
finished!

lechu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #152
helladudebro

Trader Rating: (0)
helladudebro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there any disadvantages to having the rear braces angled outward like \ / like the car above instead of / \ or | | ?
helladudebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #153
lechu84
Zilvia Junkie

lechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the rough
^i dont see why there would. we welded it where the hoop curves to add support.
lechu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #154
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
very nice...how did you get the dashboard to fit with so little trimming? we're installing a cage in a buddys car tomorrow and i was thinking about how to install the dashboard without cutting the shit out of it...
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #155
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
lechu84 = carlos? friends with david & sennet?

Nicely done. Also want to see how you got the dash in nicely.

Firestorm...I don't know if your going to put in a dash bar, but the fabricators that did my cage slipped the tube in the top vent down to the floor. They did absolutely on cutting or trimming on the dash. The only drawback to this is you will NOT be able to remove the dash again, unless you cut/trim it yourself. Which I had to, but I had the front window out, so I just cut straight throw so that I can pull the dash out horizontally.

I don't know if that made any sense...lol
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #156
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Heres the cage in my S14, we just finished it up last night. It was done by my good buddy Derrick and fully tigged, now its time to paint the interior.

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade

Last edited by RurouniMidnight; 03-22-2010 at 11:43 AM..
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #157
Unknown007
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Unknown007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Metallic Purple.
Unknown007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #158
Freddy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
is that a autopower roll bar ?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #159
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
teamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thanks for the comments on my cage, I appreciate the concern. I did not weld this, If I did there would be lots of reason for concern since I suck at welding. I had it inspected by the local NHRA inspector and he went through a pretty thorough inspection and said it looked great. Most of the professional welders who have seen it in real life have also said the same. The color looks much worse because I was taking pictures in my garage with long exposures and cheap flood lights. But I appreciate your concern and will look more into it. I have had a few of the really well known welders on here tell me it looked great so I was pretty happy but if I should be concerned I will have more people inspect it and see if I need something done to correct it. Before the door bars were finished it was certified to go 8.50's. The door bars are just being finished as this obviously is not a drag car. Again thanks for the concern and I will have a close friend who has been welding for 30+ years stop by and look at it and see what he thinks.
teamsprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #160
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
after paint....

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #161
abubika345

abubika345 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not fd legal either because the rear bars Have to be to the strut tower not the strut tower bar
abubika345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #162
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsprock View Post
Thanks for the comments on my cage, I appreciate the concern. I did not weld this, If I did there would be lots of reason for concern since I suck at welding. I had it inspected by the local NHRA inspector and he went through a pretty thorough inspection and said it looked great.

that doesn't mean he can identify a proper structural weld.

Most of the professional welders who have seen it in real life have also said the same. The color looks much worse because I was taking pictures in my garage with long exposures and cheap flood lights.

The colours of the welds are bad.. Its the red "dust" coming off a fwe of them. this indicates it's either contaminated. Or the torch was pulled away quickly while an arc was still present.

But I appreciate your concern and will look more into it. I have had a few of the really well known welders on here tell me it looked great so I was pretty happy but if I should be concerned I will have more people inspect it and see if I need something done to correct it. Before the door bars were finished it was certified to go 8.50's. The door bars are just being finished as this obviously is not a drag car. Again thanks for the concern and I will have a close friend who has been welding for 30+ years stop by and look at it and see what he thinks.

Just because he's been a welder for 30+ years doesn't mean he's good either... I've seen people with 30 years welding experience and fail simple weld tests. I have even tested people with more welding experience than twice my age. And I failed them...

Again. I'm not trying to come off as a dick. I'm offering my opinion as a professional certified TIG welder. And by the standards that I set for myself.
(Also going back to school to start my weld inspector training this Nov)

7.4.2 of this years FD rule book. (I believe this also covers D1 or whatever?) I know we use these rules for DMCC (Drift Mania Canadian Championship)

Welding shall conform to American Welding Society D1.1:2002, Structural
Welding Code, Steel Chapter 10, Tubular Structures.

Based on those standards I would reconsider those welds.

Again. This is just my opinion. And I'm NOT trying to come off as an arrogant asshole. Just trying to state my thoughts in a friendly professional manner, lol :P
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #163
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
those are some sexy cages..
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #164
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I see alot of cages with the harness bar going straight across the main hoop like this...

And I also see cages with the harness bar curved back behind the main hoop like this...

What is the reasoning for this? Pros/cons?

Also, typically how far up on the main hoop do the harness bars sit? I know it has to do with the angle of the harnesses but that changes with different seats/rails and rail positions doesnt it? So just generally...
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #165
7evil
Zilvia FREAK!

7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough
Great cage RurouniMidnight, looks sick!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #166
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro

my cage.

was cut out of a old Formula D car from back in the day is what i was told.
had it welded into the new stitch welded shell.
boxed the bottom of the front to make it fit snugly.
gotta open the doors a touch to roll the windows up, lol.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #167
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I see alot of cages with the harness bar going straight across the main hoop like this...

And I also see cages with the harness bar curved back behind the main hoop like this...

What is the reasoning for this? Pros/cons?

Also, typically how far up on the main hoop do the harness bars sit? I know it has to do with the angle of the harnesses but that changes with different seats/rails and rail positions doesnt it? So just generally...
The main reasoning behind the curved harness bar seems to be to allow taller drivers more room to put the seat back. I've been in a lot of caged cars with normal harness bars that aren't curved and they usually make it so that you can't slide the seat back the last inch or so or you can't recline the seat that much.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #168
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
The main reasoning behind the curved harness bar seems to be to allow taller drivers more room to put the seat back. I've been in a lot of caged cars with normal harness bars that aren't curved and they usually make it so that you can't slide the seat back the last inch or so or you can't recline the seat that much.
Thank you! Thats what I figured. Im like 5'8" and drive close to the steering wheel like an 80 year old Asian woman so Ill be cool with it going straight across.

Anyone know about harness bar height?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #169
Martino
Zilvia FREAK!

Martino is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody have experience with the height for door bars?
What's the lowest that the highest point (where it meets the main hoop) is aloud to be?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #170
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Buddy just finished mine, will get sprayed within this month hopefully

Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #171
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
holy redundancy!...lol

dope!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #172
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Some pics of my cage, I had Ron @ Clocksoffracing.com build it. Told him make it meet specs to run a 10.00 in the 1/4 mile without getting booted.

Cage turned out GREAT, door bars are a little high, and the harness bar is a little close but hey thats fine.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #173
rik boellen
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
rik boellen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just a way to show..

mine did bij Biesheuvel Autosport

hope i don't need it..
rik boellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #174
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
^amazing!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #175
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
All that an no harness bar?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #176
living4surf
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (52)
living4surf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
living4surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #177
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Needs more chamfering & gussets!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #178
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
bolt on!! with welded flore plates

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #179
blessedhellrider
Zilvia Member

blessedhellrider is an unknown quantity at this point
lol cages ,iv never seen a s chassis on its roof lol
blessedhellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #180
drifted240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (11)
drifted240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedhellrider View Post
lol cages ,iv never seen a s chassis on its roof lol
S13 Flips at Hot Import Nights Nightshift Phoenix - YouTube

Plus, its not always about flipping over, could be getting hit from the side. And it makes the chassis stiffer.
drifted240sx is offline   Reply With Quote