Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #31
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Yeah I've just never seemed it actually summed up. Only for US market.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #32
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
If you haven't checked the prices of guns, gold, graphics cards or most any desirable thing lately: they've all gone up. Inflation is real.:
THIS. MF THIS. I have been wanting to get a Nvidia 3080 which mrsps for $699. They are selling on ebay for 2k+.

Been looking for a few guns, a VR80 a carbine 9mm, etc. All sold out.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #33
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
supply chain constraints in the tech industry is what is limiting supply of GPUs and graphics cards. to just paint it as "inflation" is not really describing anything useful to what is happening beyond the whole "price is going up"

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #34
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
supply chain constraints in the tech industry is what is limiting supply of GPUs and graphics cards. to just paint it as "inflation" is not really describing anything useful to what is happening beyond the whole "price is going up"
Sorry, supply and demand, supply restrictions, and trillions in handouts. Is that better?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #35
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Sorry, supply and demand, supply restrictions, and trillions in handouts. Is that better?
sure, if you want to think of the US government as the primary producer of tech products in the world.

I get people use "inflation" as slang to describe things, but there are some stuff in the world that requires better terminology for accurate info.

I can type up a long, detailed explanation of why people are buying GPUs for 3-5x MSRP ("inflation", or better yet, personal greed + excessive demand + cryptocurrency pricing 5x in less than 12 months) but if you want to paint a broad brush then I won't contribute to this conversation.

[email protected]
Old 03-31-2021, 05:35 AM   #36
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
sure, if you want to think of the US government as the primary producer of tech products in the world.

I get people use "inflation" as slang to describe things, but there are some stuff in the world that requires better terminology for accurate info.

I can type up a long, detailed explanation of why people are buying GPUs for 3-5x MSRP ("inflation", or better yet, personal greed + excessive demand + cryptocurrency pricing 5x in less than 12 months) but if you want to paint a broad brush then I won't contribute to this conversation.
I know about all these things, I wasn't really trying to dish out all the details of the current market for all the things I listed in my short, very incomplete list of things that were selling for immensely more money than they were even last year. Inflation is a contributing factor given the current state of the U.S. economy, that was my main point. Sorry I wasn't more specific, but this thread is about engines, so I wasn't trying to veer too far off topic.

Just snagged a good redtop block and head for $140. The deals are still out there if you search!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:36 AM   #37
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:

Like the worldwide silicon shortage.

No one talks about how entire auto plants have shut down due to this.

Demand for products that need chips from these fabs has jumped across the board.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:05 AM   #38
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't more specific, but this thread is about engines, so I wasn'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Like the worldwide silicon shortage.

No one talks about how entire auto plants have shut down due to this.

Demand for products that need chips from these fabs has jumped across the board.
Ironically the shortage of engines is directly related to chip fab capabilities.

Just think of engines as existing suppliers of semiconductor chips. When there is only so much capacity to manufacture (or scour existing markets/yards for engines) you can only sell so many.

Add in a spike in demand with a drop in supply and you have the perfect recipe for price jumps.

In the case of chips, the main spike is a supply chain that is already maxed out, made worse by reduction in manufacturing (Renasas) for a segment that is growing rapidly (advanced chips for automobiles). All the other companies are either maxed out (TSMC/Samsung) or haven't ramped up anything yet to produce. TSMC/Intel/Samsung are all adding a lot of 3rd party fab capability in the next few years, but it's at least 2-3 years before the factories can come online, and that's assuming there's enough qualified engineers to staff the fab lines.

The supply side of engines will figure out a way to find more sources, since everyone is after the same thing (sales/profit). As for where these engines come from, it ultimately will be dictated by who can sell from where, and since prices for complete cars are going up, there is no longer an incentive to sell a motor when you can sell a whole car and recover your car much faster.

(keep in mind motor exporters are not just doing one type of engine. the entire used engine market drives the cost aspect of this because you'd have to import one container at a time to make it worth your trouble)

[email protected]
Old 03-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #39
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Nismo heritage has the blocks listed for 233,600 JPY(2KUSD roughly). Says they are reproducing many of the discontinued parts. There has been talks about it being only in japan but even having the option to purchase a new RB26 block would be awesome.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:47 PM   #40
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
Nismo heritage has the blocks listed for 233,600 JPY(2KUSD roughly). Says they are reproducing many of the discontinued parts. There has been talks about it being only in japan but even having the option to purchase a new RB26 block would be awesome.
The Heritage stuff seems more like a one time run that quickly sold out.

Front Bumpers, Side Skirts and Fenders are all discontinued again.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #41
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD 240 View Post
...Most of the price increase has come from the fact that the cars we are getting the engines from are either legal for import, or are about to be legal. The guys in Japan are charging a lot of money for the engines to recoup some of the money lost by not sending the whole car over.
I think this is an accurate explanation. Why would an importer pull an sr20 from a 1995 180sx for $2-4k when they could sell the whole car for $15-20k?

Websites like http://fedlegalimports.com/inventory/ show its more profitable to sell the entire beat used car for thousands then it is to pull the drivetrain. supply has officially been depleted.

The question im curious to see is if costs will come down a little bit when normal shipping is resumed (probably 2022). I would be interested to buy an sr20 just to store for years, cost will only continue to rise imo
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #42
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Im just gonna wait a few years then pick up an S15, do an FSM rebuild as needed and call it a day

less swaps and more jdm car sideways rowdy noises
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #43
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Im just gonna wait a few years then pick up an S15, do an FSM rebuild as needed and call it a day

less swaps and more jdm car sideways rowdy noises

Im guessing S15's are going to be mad expensive when they are federally legal.

I think the S15 would be a perfect DD with just a FMIC, exhaust and some coils.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #44
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:

Aren't the turbos already $20k in Japan?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #45
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:

heh. I bought my first S15 back in 2011 I think. A gun metal 1999 with around 130,000km. All original pretty much.

the car was 12k in japan and it cost about 5k to get it here. Illegal as F@#(*# but what did I care back then?
Walked right into the court house and walked out with the registration. Progressive had no issues insuring it.
Gave the car to my father, he drove it to work every day for years lol.

Ahh the good old days. When the time comes, I will find a way. Always do
you gota be willing to take a half a year off, do research and work for it.
I bought it at an auction called "yunikon international". There is a website which allows you to bid on cars and have a third party in Japan secure the car and so forth. Make a friend over seas...
Where there is a will, I always say

For now, its straight line 700hp LS powa for a minute, while i get this taste of blood and metal out of my mouth
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #46
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
More than that.

http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventor...-s15-sale.html
Old 05-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #47
KC240SR
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
KC240SR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:

This, from importers I've spoken to its sounding like $50k-60k could be likely for a Spec-R. What a buzzkill, right?
Old 05-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #48
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
coils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC240SR View Post
This, from importers I've spoken to its sounding like $50k-60k could be likely for a Spec-R. What a buzzkill, right?
Considering the total number of S15s sold worldwide is about 10% of the total number of S13s sold in Japan, expect a 2-5x price premium over the current S13/14 prices.

[email protected]
Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #49
wkpainter

wkpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
I was going to post something about this in the other thread but...

You can get anything aftermarket for classic american cars. Any body panel you want from multiple companies. No one makes aftermarket OEM style sheet metal for our cars. Cant pick up an sr20 long block from JEGS. We are at the mercy of what is left in existence and every year the supply goes down. Somehow demand is going up. Decent z33's are cheaper than junk s13s. I'm affraid to see if I can still get oem quarter panels for my bugeye wagon. Its going to be a lot harder for japanese classic car fans to keep these cars on the road than american classic car guys.
wkpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #50
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC240SR View Post
s15 is going to be a very expensive car. For a clean spec R in Canada right now you are looking at 30-40K+ CAD. Once they are legal in USA... $$$$$
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #51
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post
No one makes aftermarket OEM style sheet metal for our cars. Cant pick up an sr20 long block from JEGS. We are at the mercy of what is left in existence and every year the supply goes down.
I have a large list of parts I'm trying to procure, unfortunately the reality of the market is that no one wants to pay for it.

I am in the process of having a metal S13 Silvia fender pair reproduced... but based on my projections I'm better off buying stocks in airlines now instead of trying to make products for a customer base that complains about car prices going up.

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=673437

[email protected]
Old 05-31-2023, 11:16 PM   #52
schassis240

schassis240 is a well-known jackass
damn covid.........we need our engines.....it aint gonna stop us from finding em
schassis240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:03 AM   #53
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had to settled for an rb25..... for the same price i would have paid for an rb26 4 years ago o_0
Old 06-05-2023, 01:12 PM   #54
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schassis240 View Post
damn covid.........we need our engines.....it aint gonna stop us from finding em
has nothing to do with covid... has everything to do with scarcity. SRs/RBs/CAs in japan are fetching just as much as they are here. this isnt 2005 anymore. classic JDM cars are few and far between in Japan (and here). a good 20 years of over consumption is now showing its age.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #55
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
What's funny is that most of the engines didn't really go anywhere. 10 years ago there were SR longblocks everywhere and dozens at all the engine depots. They didn't vanish, they're just in pieces, never to be touched again under a dusty shelf in garages of people who aren't active on social media, lmao.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #56
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
has nothing to do with covid... has everything to do with scarcity. SRs/RBs/CAs in japan are fetching just as much as they are here. this isnt 2005 anymore. classic JDM cars are few and far between in Japan (and here). a good 20 years of over consumption is now showing its age.
a friend of mine just got back from a trip to japan. he went mostly for the car culture. He was a little disappointed with the lack of jdm classics out in the wild xD
Old 06-05-2023, 08:07 PM   #57
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
i had to settled for an rb25..... for the same price i would have paid for an rb26 4 years ago o_0

Engine prices are crazy. I saw a beat up notchtop on ebay a few days ago for over 8k that I doubt would run with zero issues.

It's to the point where one could bullet proof a KA or swap in an lsx for less money than just the drive train.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:43 PM   #58
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Engine prices are crazy. I saw a beat up notchtop on ebay a few days ago for over 8k that I doubt would run with zero issues.

It's to the point where one could bullet proof a KA or swap in an lsx for less money than just the drive train.
KA24DE motors are starting at $2400 in the Seattle area.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #59
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
KA24DE motors are starting at $2400 in the Seattle area.
Y'all are also trying to legalize heroin and shit so I take what the PNW does with a grain of sale. KA's are still sub-$1000 here because we aren't stupid.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #60
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
looool

I sold the single cam KA out of my new hatch a few months ago -- all stock, 145k miles, automatic for the majority of its life. I got $600 for it, which felt real stupid, but NW prices. Lasted 14 hours on Marketplace.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote