Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #871
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I'm probably blind but... Are there drop in upgrades for Silvia S13 dual or triple headlights?
Refer to post #773
http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=6...&postcount=773
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #872
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's been a bit since anyone posted here. I just did some bricks with "square" lens d2s 4.0 (q5 replica) projectors

Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #873
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
No build pics?

You tease.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #874
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Those square projectors look way better than I'd imagined, I have two S14 Zenki's to do here soon and I may go with those instead of the Mini H1's, have you seen light output from them? and if you don't mind...where did you buy them?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #875
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

I don't have any good in process pics unfortunately. It's a tricky retro because the rear portion of the housing has to be cut out and rebuilt to accommodate the projectors (the bulb sits in the center instead of offset to the bottom like stock). I actually ended up having to tig weld custom brackets to use the original pivot/aiming points as the factory reflector. The light output is far superior to most OEM projectors, definitely mini h1, with good width and a nice centralized hot spot that fades to each side. They accept any OEM d2s HID bulbs/ballasts as well which is a huge plus. The projectors are from TRS.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #876
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Wow. I like how you did the OEM thing and painted the plastic lenses. Might have to do mine.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #877
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad to see this thread still popping from when i started it so long ago
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #878
Ricanballer21

Trader Rating: (0)
Ricanballer21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone using LED bulbs for their Zenki headlights? My ballast on my HIDs went out after like 10 years so I had to put in regular bulbs for now. I ordered the ones linked below but the little metal retainer clips would clip to hold the bulbs in.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...et/5321/11896/
Ricanballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #879
Turbo Nismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Turbo Nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
I've finally made my decision and started working on the Zenki lights. I choose the Mini H1 7.0 kit mostly because it was the only projector small enough to fit into the S14 light assembly while keeping some decent projector shroud options. The Zenki reflector assembly is only 4" high. Using a larger projector would require most of the projector shroud to be hacked off for clearance. I want switchback halos so hacking up the projector shrouds must be kept to a minimum.

List is as follows:
Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 stage3 kit
SP122 precision bulb holders
35amp ballasts
5500K bulbs
H4/9003 Motocontrol wire harness
And my favorite part:
Mini X5-R white/amber LED switchback projector shrouds

I'm thinking of wiring the halos as daytime running lights. A parking brake trigger would turn on the halos whenever the brake is released. 99.9% of the cars I see on the road lately use LED DRLs. It just makes sense to use the halos for that.

Looking forward to this!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #880
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
i pulled a trigger on these nearly three years ago and just installed them last night! (Small kids have had me out of commission for years). The lights have been sitting boxed up in the garage since. They look amazing, position lights alone are brighter than OEM Type X with brakes on!

Before: OEM Type X

After: ClearCorners stuff

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 12-31-2019 at 09:40 AM..
hybrid_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #881
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
That looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #882
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Thanks! Cant wait to wire up the reverse lights as well, missing an oem connector from the harness under hatch latch which goes into factor bulb socket for reverse tails..
hybrid_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #883
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Not sure when I'll be able to undertake this retrofit I've been planning so I've decided to share all the info I've gathered in the hope that someone else might want to give it a try.

This is intended for a 240 with pop-up headlights, but it could used for anything with 5x7 sealed beams.

I'm big into OEM styling, so it's been a challenge to come up with something that satisfies the lighting nerd in me but also looks like it could have been OEM. I really dislike the look of a projector retrofit in plastic clear lens 5x7 housing. IMO, a fluted glass lens is key, think R32, Silvia, or E30 projector headlights.

Initially I found these rectangle projectors from Hella. They are somewhat known within the VW crowd.

HELLA 1BL 005 380-011

The shape didn't seem quite right... they are very squared off. The depth was also huge... way too much to fit in an S13.

Recently I came across another set of Hella's from a MAN passenger bus. A more traditional 5x7 shape and depth that I can work with.

HELLA 1BL 005 740-091

Profile Shot:

Naturally there is zero information on the internet regarding these, but I was able to gather they are low beam only. This is why a retrofit is necessary, a bi-xenon projector needs to be swapped in to retain high/low function.

I was able to track down this photo, which shows that the stock projectors are literally screwed in from the back, making them prime retrofit candidates... the glass wouldn't even need to be separated.

That's all I got for now... thoughts?

Last edited by super.trick; 02-17-2020 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Fixed dimensions
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #884
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
Not exactly OEM looking but a plug and play option for pop ups. I don't drive around with my headlights up so im ok with the look plus when theyare on theyre really bright so you cant even see the face. DOT approved and LED. I get a discount on them if anyone is interested.
Old and new version

tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #885
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
Not exactly OEM looking but a plug and play option for pop ups. I don't drive around with my headlights up so im ok with the look plus when theyare on theyre really bright so you cant even see the face. DOT approved and LED. I get a discount on them if anyone is interested.
Old and new version
Honestly, I think those look a lot more OEM than most retrofits, especially the chrome version. The fact that they are DOT approved is probably the most appealing feature for me though.

Pretty sure the Hella's will be an insta-fail in the inspection bay here in MA, but we'll see I guess.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #886
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
I like the look of those Hella projectors much more. Order one and let us know how it fits
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #887
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I like the look of those Hella projectors much more. Order one and let us know how it fits
Yeah I caved lol. Ordered a pair. Came to ~$265 shipping from god knows where in Europe.

Unfortunately the dimensions provided above were actually incorrect.

Both of the options actually have the same depth, (by the time someone reads this I'll likely have corrected it in my original post) but I'm confident I'll be able to make it work.

Here are dimensions for a few projector options:

...both will fit depth wise, so while it might not be as straightforward a retrofit as I hoped, it is definitely still possible. I'll just have to cut down the back of the housing.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #888
tuzzio
Post Whore!

If I had pop ups, I would be less concerned with how they look than I did when I retrofitted my bricks, as they're down during the day time, and who can see them when the lights are on? My buddy put Morimoto Mini H1's in his pop ups, but they're clear lenses so not the look you're going for.

And cmon now...I think every 240 guy in MA knows and inspection guy..
Old 02-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #889
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
If I had pop ups, I would be less concerned with how they look than I did when I retrofitted my bricks, as they're down during the day time, and who can see them when the lights are on? My buddy put Morimoto Mini H1's in his pop ups, but they're clear lenses so not the look you're going for.

And cmon now...I think every 240 guy in MA knows and inspection guy..
Haha I used to, but now both my guys have cameras in their garages and can't do anything for me.

That said, there were probably 10 things wrong with my daily this year, but they checked the brakes first, failed it, then stopped the test. When I brought it back they only checked that I repaired the brakes and passed it.
Might have to orchestrate something similar with the 240 cause god knows there are about 4,632,314 potential violations.

As for the lights... you're not wrong. 95% of the time they are off they are indeed down. But I'm OCD about details and want them looking fly for that 5% I guess.

The H1's are the smaller projector I posted dimensions for... probably the best option for a 5x7 that's got limited space behind it.
I'm also looking at OE E55 Projectors cause they are made by Hella and may share design/mounting features with whatever projector comes in the housing, making the whole job easier. They also go for $25 on Ebay so perfect to experiment with.

I don't mean to knock all clear lense retrofits, some can look really good. I just don't like the look for my car. I always liked this clear glass lense (Nokya housing) retrofit using E55 shrouds. These were made by a guy on Club4AG years back.

EDIT: I should receive the headlights within a month

Last edited by super.trick; 02-18-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #890
hiimelvin

hiimelvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by super.trick View Post
Haha I used to, but now both my guys have cameras in their garages and can't do anything for me.

That said, there were probably 10 things wrong with my daily this year, but they checked the brakes first, failed it, then stopped the test. When I brought it back they only checked that I repaired the brakes and passed it.
Might have to orchestrate something similar with the 240 cause god knows there are about 4,632,314 potential violations.

As for the lights... you're not wrong. 95% of the time they are off they are indeed down. But I'm OCD about details and want them looking fly for that 5% I guess.

The H1's are the smaller projector I posted dimensions for... probably the best option for a 5x7 that's got limited space behind it.
I'm also looking at OE E55 Projectors cause they are made by Hella and may share design/mounting features with whatever projector comes in the housing, making the whole job easier. They also go for $25 on Ebay so perfect to experiment with.

I don't mean to knock all clear lense retrofits, some can look really good. I just don't like the look for my car. I always liked this clear glass lense (Nokya housing) retrofit using E55 shrouds. These were made by a guy on Club4AG years back.

EDIT: I should receive the headlights within a month
These look awesome, any updates on them?
hiimelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #891
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimelvin View Post
These look awesome, any updates on them?
https://www.club4ag.com//forums/view...p?f=15&t=19729

I don't know if he still makes them but good info in here. Not too hard to do yourself. Plan on doing mine this summer.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #892
super.trick
Leaky Injector

My lights are far from done, but I wanted to update the thread with a little progress. I trimmed off all the mounting tabs and shortened the rear housings an inch or so. Afterwards they fit perfectly like regular sealed beams.

Sadly the hard part is yet to come... I still need to buy some Bi-xenon projectors to swap in. I've been focused on some other projects recently, but will update again once I get around to finishing them.

The lack of paint on my car certainly does the lights no favors, but overall I am happy with the look. Not pure OEM but definitely closer than the clear-lens retros I've seen. Hopefully the output is just as good when I finally get the the Bi-xenon's in.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #893
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

That looks nice. You might consider gs350 bixenon projectors which have a side mounted bulb instead of rear mounted. This would help keep the depth short. I have used these projectors in a number of 14+ 4runner retrofits because of their shallow housings.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #894
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
BEAUTIFUL RETROFIT.
Where did you get that housing? It comes with the projector when you purchase it?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #895
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That looks nice. You might consider gs350 bixenon projectors which have a side mounted bulb instead of rear mounted. This would help keep the depth short. I have used these projectors in a number of 14+ 4runner retrofits because of their shallow housings.
I haven't heard about those before, I will definitely look into them, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
Where did you get that housing? It comes with the projector when you purchase it?
Thanks, I got them on eBay from the UK. You won't find them in the states. They do come with a projector but it is low beam only, so it will need to be swapped to retain hi/low function.

Left:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1BL-005-740...72.m2749.l2649

Right: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1BL-005-740...UAAOSwGhFZhUan

This is the same seller I bought from.

The only difference left to right is the rear housing; the parking light is on opposite sides. The glass is identical for either side.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #896
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I haven't heard about those before, I will definitely look into them, thanks.
Projectors
Old 02-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #897
tuzzio
Post Whore!

For what its worth, my homie Travis used Morimoto Mini H1's (Same I used in my bricks) in his pop ups.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #898
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I posted these a few months back in my build thread, but lets add some more good popup lighting to this thread. I wanted my headlights as low as possible while up, and this is it with such a large projector lens.

I CAD and printed all of these parts in ABS, which have been holding up surprisingly well. Welded new shortened rods and pivots, and made some weatherproof housings and mounts for the ballasts.

Morimoto 5.0 BiXenon projectors with Denso slim ballasts and Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs.
These are just the latest prototypes, to either be molded or wrapped in carbon fiber. Still needs one last part printed to make the housings waterproof, maybe some more design changes, and a new wrap around bezel to fill the side openings when the headlights are up.

projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #899
merlz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
merlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy shit! Amazing work.

Looks really good!
Much better looking than the NSX option in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:55 AM   #900
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

s14 clear lens/LED 3rd brake light