Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
SR20DETdatsun510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 S14 SR20DET Engine Identification.....

Hi,
I have looked and can't really find a concise answer on how to tell what year and specific car (JDM Silvia or US 240SX) this engine came from.
I just got a 73 Datsun 510 with this engine in it and I want to identify it so I can get to know it.
How do I tell if it came from a JDM Silvia or the 240SX?
Is there a specific place on the block to get the engine codes?
Thanks in advance...
SR20DETdatsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
dirtyafrican

dirtyafrican is an unknown quantity at this point
post a picture or google ka24e, ka24de, sr20de, sr20det and see which one it looks more similar to

240sx = ka24e/de
silvia = sr20de/det
dirtyafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Uhhh the U.S. S13 or S14 never came with SR20DET's Only J-spec Silvias Came with the Black Top (Hump) SR20.

If the Valve Cover is completly flat then its from a 180SX or Silvia

Theres a serial number on the exhaust side of the block right in front if the bellhousing

Not sure if that can be used to find out if its a Zenki or Kouki. But thats the only helpful munber that i know of.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

This is my engine.....
What do you mean flat valve cover?
No VTC? (I think that is what they call it.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETdatsun510 View Post
This is my engine.....
I cant see pics cuz of these work PC's
But S14 VC will have a bump on the Intake Cam side VTC and the valve cover slopes down @ the #4 Cylinder
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
This is my engine.....
Thats an S14 maybe even an S15 SR20DET. Wiring Harness plug into the ECU under the kick panel. We can tell you if its an earlier S14 engine (zenki) or later (kouki/S15) engine. To tell if its an S14 or S15 engine, take the coilpack off and look at it. S14 uses the fat coilpacks, S15s use skinny ones.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Thats an S14 maybe even an S15 SR20DET. Wiring Harness plug into the ECU under the kick panel. We can tell you if its an earlier S14 engine (zenki) or later (kouki/S15) engine. To tell if its an S14 or S15 engine, take the coilpack off and look at it. S14 uses the fat coilpacks, S15s use skinny ones.
Sorry, What and where is the coil pack? Is that th espark plug coils inbetween the valve cover?
Is this possibly a J-spec engine?
I just came into ownership of this car and haven't really goten the chance to do my research and get familiar with it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Sorry, What and where is the coil pack? Is that th espark plug coils inbetween the valve cover?
Is this possibly a J-spec engine?
I just came into ownership of this car and haven't really goten the chance to do my research and get familiar with it. Thanks for the help.
Yes its a "J-spec" engine. SR20DETs were never sold in the states, in any car.
On top of the engine, take that carbon fiber piece off. You will see the coilpacks under there. Pop one off, tell us if its skinny or fat, better yet, take a picture. Then go find the ECU under the passenger side kick panel (assuming its located there since its in a 510 chassis). Disconnect the negative on your battery, then disconnect the ECU from the harness and take a picture of the harness plug.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
He doesn't need to do any of this stuff.

This is a 93-96 Zenki S14 SR20DET.

The easiest and simplest way to tell an S14 SR20DET(Zenki) from an S14a SR20DET(Kouki). Is that on the Zenki engines(93-96) the valve covers had Stud and Nut combination for the attachment, while in the Kouki(S14a) engines it used a Bolt and tapped hole in the head similar to the KA. This is one of the Minor Changes(MCS14).
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post

The easiest and simplest way to tell an S14 SR20DET(Zenki) from an S14a SR20DET(Kouki). Is that on the Zenki engines(93-96) the valve covers had Stud and Nut combination for the attachment, while in the Kouki(S14a) engines it used a Bolt and tapped hole in the head similar to the KA. This is one of the Minor Changes(MCS14).
So with all of this said, In this community, which is the better or most prefered engine? S14 (Zenki) or S14a (Kouki)?
How much HP stock?
Thanks BTW for all the help!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
So with all of this said, In this community, which is the better or most prefered engine? S14 (Zenki) or S14a (Kouki)?
How much HP stock?
Thanks BTW for all the help!
S14 and S14a are mostly identical with a slight ECU change, the valve cover bolts and upper timing guide removed. Other than this, that's all I know that changed engine wise.

Well, since yours is upgraded, Im assuming you mean what can the stock block hold power wise? Its been known to hold upwards of ~500WHP but I would recommend a built block at 450+. If you are referring to stock everything besides exhaust, boost and Intercooler then I'd say 270~280WHP is capable out of a stock ECU, Injector and MAFS setup.

Both of the engines are equally desirable unless you want to go to a Power-FC D-Jetro ECU.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Engine bay looks clean tho. Do you know what kinda turbo that is and what else is done to the engine. I'm willing to bet there are goodies under the valve cover...atleast im thinking in my head, why else would there be a BISIMOTO sticker on the back.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Norcal510
Leaky Injector

Norcal510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Very informative!
Norcal510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
bkfill
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bkfill is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
show us more pictures of the car
and more info on how you got it
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

SR

Hey,
So how I came to own this car huh?
Well, I wouldn't say I was cheap but I got a great deal on it.
Kind of Ironic but a friend in LA that needed to get rid of his baby to get married and have a real baby.
So let's just say I benifited from his situation.
Here are some more pics:

Well, I know this is a Silvia Forum but it's still a Nissan!
Enjoy....
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #16
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

So, I want to do something about the air cleaner. It is stuffed into a corner and of what I've read, the MAF needs to be at 12 inches away from the turbo intake to register correctly. As long as that is satisfied, can I extend the intake to better locate the Turbo?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
So, I want to do something about the air cleaner. It is stuffed into a corner and of what I've read, the MAF needs to be at 12 inches away from the turbo intake to register correctly. As long as that is satisfied, can I extend the intake to better locate the Turbo?
Yep, of course.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Yep, of course.
Sorry, to be more precise, can I extend the intake to better relocate the turbo air cleaner?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Sorry, to be more precise, can I extend the intake to better relocate the turbo air cleaner?
I know what you meant. Yes, you can.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #20
bewst pewp

bewst pewp is an unknown quantity at this point
intense

nice ass car though

and that's one big ass turbo to be running an internal wastegate?!?

i've never seen a top-mount run an internal wastegate
bewst pewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #21
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewst pewp View Post
intense

nice ass car though.
and that's one big ass turbo to be running an internal wastegate?!?
i've never seen a top-mount run an internal wastegate
I'm new to Turbo powered engines so is the wastegate the thing coming off the turbo? What would be the other options? It does take a little bit for the turbo to spool up. Could that be why? I am into perfecting this ride and learning all kinds of Sh!t along the way so thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I'm new to Turbo powered engines so is the wastegate the thing coming off the turbo? What would be the other options? It does take a little bit for the turbo to spool up. Could that be why? I am into perfecting this ride and learning all kinds of Sh!t along the way so thanks!
If you're looking at the engine bay from the front, the wastegate is the round silver item to the left of the intake with a blue silicon hose going to it. This actuates a arm which opens a flapper door and allows the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine wheel in the exhaust housing to maintain the boost pressure that the wastegate actuator sees through that blue hose. This is all considered an internal wastegate, attached to and integrated to the turbo.

Another style of wastegate is an external one that is mounted inbetween the turbo and the engine and mounted on the area where all the runners of the exhaust meet together and enter the exhaust housing. This also has a silicon hose on it to control the boost pressure by opening to allow exhaust gas to be routed around the exhaust wheel and maintain a boost pressure.

The reason it takes a while for the turbo to spool up is because the engine has a shorter intake manifold, probably higher duration cams and a larger turbo. If you were to go back to a stock intake manifold you would see faster spool and a little less top end power but more in the mid range.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #23
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
If you're looking at the engine bay from the front, the wastegate is the round silver item to the left of the intake with a blue silicon hose going to it. This actuates a arm which opens a flapper door and allows the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine wheel in the exhaust housing to maintain the boost pressure that the wastegate actuator sees through that blue hose. This is all considered an internal wastegate, attached to and integrated to the turbo.

Another style of wastegate is an external one that is mounted inbetween the turbo and the engine and mounted on the area where all the runners of the exhaust meet together and enter the exhaust housing. This also has a silicon hose on it to control the boost pressure by opening to allow exhaust gas to be routed around the exhaust wheel and maintain a boost pressure.

The reason it takes a while for the turbo to spool up is because the engine has a shorter intake manifold, probably higher duration cams and a larger turbo. If you were to go back to a stock intake manifold you would see faster spool and a little less top end power but more in the mid range.
Awesome info! Luckily, the Datsun is a 73 so it is smog exempt. If I wanted to go to an external wastegate, I could.
For now, I do not feel any "turbo creep" so the internal waste gate is functioning well.
I have prioritized some other work to do on this car like instrumentation and electrical stuff (anyone know about gauges, gauging options and wiring? hahaha)
Since the 73 gauges were mostly all mechanical, non of them work and it doesn't have any guging except for fuel level. See, pretty imortant huh!
I am however, trying to learn as much as I can about this engine so thanks for all the info!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #24
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I have prioritized some other work to do on this car like instrumentation and electrical stuff (anyone know about gauges, gauging options and wiring? hahaha)
Since the 73 gauges were mostly all mechanical, non of them work and it doesn't have any guging except for fuel level. See, pretty imortant huh!
I am however, trying to learn as much as I can about this engine so thanks for all the info!
Sure what do you want to know?

I have a full 5 gauge Defi set installed in the OEM cluster unit.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
That engine looks like it has been properly taken care of already. If you want to set that car off get some 15s or 16s SSR MKIIs and a new muffler!

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #26
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is it a 6 speed or a 5 speed?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #27
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Is it a 6 speed or a 5 speed?
Should be a 5 Speed.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #28
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Should be a 5 Speed.
I know what it should be. Was asking the OP.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #29
OfourTHREEfive
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
OfourTHREEfive is making a name for him/her selfOfourTHREEfive is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FOr someone who acquired this car you sure did get lucky. Make sure you do AMPLE research ( not just starting threads but searching on sr20's) before tampering.
OfourTHREEfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Sure what do you want to know?

I have a full 5 gauge Defi set installed in the OEM cluster unit.
First off, got pics? Did you just gut the cluster and replace it with the Defi set? As you can see in the pic of my gauges, I want to keep the stock look but have them all functional. I'll have to take a look behind the dash but a stock cluster looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 510 cluster.jpg (10.0 KB, 22 views)