Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #31
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
SR20DETdatsun510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Is it a 6 speed or a 5 speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
Should be a 5 Speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I know what it should be. Was asking the OP.
It is a 5 speed, has a Silvia Knob and Boot.
Also has a Silvia Trunk Lock!

Last edited by SR20DETdatsun510; 02-17-2009 at 12:47 PM..
SR20DETdatsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #32
esqueue
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
esqueue is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn, that's one hell of a car. Smog exempt is the deal maker IMO.
esqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #33
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
That engine looks like it has been properly taken care of already. If you want to set that car off get some 15s or 16s SSR MKIIs and a new muffler!
16's would maybe be the smallest due to the big Brembo Calipers in the front. Maybe even 17" minimum. I have to look into it but I agree, I want to change these rims. BTW, they are Staggard Racing Hart C4's 4x114.3. Kind of hard to find.
As far as what will replace them, I am not neccessarily into the retro JDM look. SSR's are not my taste unless they are SSR Professor SP2 or the newer school MKII's. Plus, the old school wheels are too small for my calipers. The exaust really needs to breath but I also agree maybe I can hide it more under the rear.
I'm open to more suggestions though.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #34
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfourTHREEfive View Post
FOr someone who acquired this car you sure did get lucky. Make sure you do AMPLE research ( not just starting threads but searching on sr20's) before tampering.
Oh I plan to research thoroughly before i mess with anything. I don't intend to "Tamper" with the engine till I get some other things done.
I did get a good price for this car but still had to pay alot. But I will take this car to a whole nother level! I am going for "clean" right now and then if I am not broke, go for more HP.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #35
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Looks like a Zenki Motor, from what i've read and seen if the S14 motor has fins on the front head it's a S14 Kouki Motor. I believe there was a thread about this, search it up. However, the S15 motor didn't have fins, so it could be either Zenki or S15 motor.

Steve.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #36
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETdatsun510 View Post
First off, got pics? Did you just gut the cluster and replace it with the Defi set? As you can see in the pic of my gauges, I want to keep the stock look but have them all functional. I'll have to take a look behind the dash but a stock cluster looks like this:
I simply gutted the OEM cluster and put in a sheet of composite and hole sawed them and inserted the gauges, re-assembled all of it back together and installed it.

Here's a link to some progress pictures. CoupedUp.net - Efficiency Slave
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #37
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
I simply gutted the OEM cluster and put in a sheet of composite and hole sawed them and inserted the gauges, re-assembled all of it back together and installed it.

Here's a link to some progress pictures. CoupedUp.net - Efficiency Slave
So what is all the hype about Defi gauges?
Please elaborate...
I like the colors and action but is it only because they are made in Japan? Or are they?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #38
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
So what is all the hype about Defi gauges?
Please elaborate...
I like the colors and action but is it only because they are made in Japan? Or are they?
Defi's are the SHIT One of the best gauges on the market.
Defi link system will show peak values and recored gauge actions, Warning system,Stepping motors, Very accurate, easy to wire up, no splicing of wires necessary

Read up on them

I have some and I love them i will buy no other gauge.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Defi's are the SHIT One of the best gauges on the market.
Defi link system will show peak values and recored gauge actions, Warning system,Stepping motors, Very accurate, easy to wire up, no splicing of wires necessary

Read up on them

I have some and I love them I will buy no other gauge.
I guess I will have to research these gauges. I do like the open and closing ceremonies though! Really cool and shows intelligence is built in.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
I really like the precision of the gauges they have very high quality sensors and stepper motors inside the gauge.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #41
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
I really like the precision of the gauges they have very high quality sensors and stepper motors inside the gauge.
Since they only sell 3 3/8" Tachs and not Speedos (I want them to match) I will only be getting the smaller gauges like Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Volt, etc.
What ones should I def get and which ones are just not needed for street use?
What's a good gauge for Speedo and Tach that match?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #42
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

I recommend every setup that has an upgraded turbo and fuel managment have a Wideband and thes gauges no matter what, Oil Press., Boost and Coolant Temp.(if the stock one is faulty).

I bought the Defi Tach and Defi VSD for Speed.

It's like the 240SX Heads Up Display, it appears on the windshield.

I don't know of many good aftermarket speedos that are analog. I would only be able to recommend AutoMeter and I don't necessarily care for those.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #43
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
I recommend every setup that has an upgraded turbo and fuel managment have a Wideband and thes gauges no matter what, Oil Press., Boost and Coolant Temp.(if the stock one is faulty).

I bought the Defi Tach and Defi VSD for Speed.

It's like the 240SX Heads Up Display, it appears on the windshield.

I don't know of many good aftermarket speedos that are analog. I would only be able to recommend AutoMeter and I don't necessarily care for those.
Is there a reason you don't care for AutoMeter Gauges?
Besides not having the Opening and Closing cerimonies, they seem like they are quality Gauges. I mean racers have been using them for many years. I would say that they are race proven many times over.
I might just go with them because they have matching sets including Speedo. I like the Ultra Lite II's or the Pro Comp II's.
Defi would do good by creating a product line that includes all matching gauges with speedo too.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #44
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Is there a reason you don't care for AutoMeter Gauges?
Besides not having the Opening and Closing cerimonies, they seem like they are quality Gauges. I mean racers have been using them for many years. I would say that they are race proven many times over.
I might just go with them because they have matching sets including Speedo. I like the Ultra Lite II's or the Pro Comp II's.
Defi would do good by creating a product line that includes all matching gauges with speedo too.
I'm sure the accuracy of the Autometer is good but I just personally don't like that when the boost gauge is "zero" it is off and down in the vacuum range. It may be negligible and perfectly ok. I just prefer to not use them.

I am sure that you will enjoy them and be okay using them. Defi gauges are a lot of hype but they're very nice quality gauges too.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #45
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
I'm sure the accuracy of the Autometer is good but I just personally don't like that when the boost gauge is "zero" it is off and down in the vacuum range. It may be negligible and perfectly ok. I just prefer to not use them.

I am sure that you will enjoy them and be okay using them. Defi gauges are a lot of hype but they're very nice quality gauges too.
Ur cool man. I like honesty. Thanks!
Let y'all know what I decide to install and do pics when I am done.
Give me a month....hahaha
Old 03-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #46
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Progress.....

Well, purchased the gauges!
Went with Autometer Ultra-lite II's.
Got a "3 3/8" Speedo" (to 160mph) and "Tack" (to 10k rpm) and
2 1/16" Full sweep "Oil Pressure", "Oil Temp", "Water Temp",
"Voltage" and "Fuel Level."
Next I need to find wire diagrams of both the 510 and the S14 SR20DET so I can figure out what I can keep and what I can tear out.
(BTW, are there diags here?)
I have a basic idea of how I want to mount everything.
I will put the Speedo and Tach in their Reg. posotions and put the Oil Pressure right in my face inbetween where the Speedo and Tach are. (currently the fuel level gauge). The other 4 I will mount down on my center console with my Boost and Turbo Timer.
Give me about a month to get everything squared away. Then Pics!!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #47
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Hey, need some info, I am installing my guages (autometer ultra-lite II) and really can't find out what sender I need. How do I figure this out?
Thanks in advance...
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #48
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Hey, need some info, I am installing my guages (autometer ultra-lite II) and really can't find out what sender I need. How do I figure this out?
Thanks in advance...
Senders for what gauge?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #49
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Senders for what gauge?
Doesn't the Speedo and Tach need senders?
Sorry if this is a noob question. I know one of them do.
I do believe the other gauges came with senders or sensors.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Dude you're right here in Brentwood, hit me up and I'll help you out, I'm East of Nashville. I also got tons of parts for that engine that I'm swapping out.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #51
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15specR View Post
Dude you're right here in Brentwood, hit me up and I'll help you out, I'm East of Nashville. I also got tons of parts for that engine that I'm swapping out.
That would be great. But I am in Brentwood, California! Damn! I could use the direction!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #52
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Oh shit thought you were the local dude I've been hearing about with a 510, den again come to think of it he's in Franklin, oh well.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #53
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

It will depend on your Speedometer...it will most likely be programmed to accept a certain amount of pulses per mile(ppm) and most likely the pulses per mile of the stock S14 SR transmission will NOT be an accepted one by the autometer tachometer. So, I looked into this in case my gauge wouldn't accept the speed signal(pulses per mile) and you'll have to get a Dakota Digital Speed Signal Converter I think the part number is SGL-5 or SLG-5 or something.

Now the tachometer will most likely be able to be setup for 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines and maybe more but basically you're going to have to somehow set or configure the tachometer to read 2 pulses per revolution I believe and then it will read accurately.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #54
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Quote:
It will depend on your Speedometer...it will most likely be programmed to accept a certain amount of pulses per mile(ppm) and most likely the pulses per mile of the stock S14 SR transmission will NOT be an accepted one by the autometer tachometer. So, I looked into this in case my gauge wouldn't accept the speed signal(pulses per mile) and you'll have to get a Dakota Digital Speed Signal Converter I think the part number is SGL-5 or SLG-5 or something.

Now the tachometer will most likely be able to be setup for 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines and maybe more but basically you're going to have to somehow set or configure the tachometer to read 2 pulses per revolution I believe and then it will read accurately.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Damn dood, how did you get to know all of this?
Any help is immensly appriciated!
I also emailed Autometer to see if they can help.
Thanks again!!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #55
93 Sr Hatch

93 Sr Hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Uhhh the U.S. S13 or S14 never came with SR20DET's Only J-spec Silvias Came with the Black Top (Hump) SR20.

If the Valve Cover is completly flat then its from a 180SX or Silvia

Theres a serial number on the exhaust side of the block right in front if the bellhousing

Not sure if that can be used to find out if its a Zenki or Kouki. But thats the only helpful munber that i know of.
hmm good info. thx
93 Sr Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #56
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

SR Update!!!!

Well, had my whip put in the shop for some upgrades!
Had a new rear end put in.
R200 Diff with Nismo LSD, Wolf Creek Racing CV's, Willwood Calipers, QA1 Coilovers, drilled rotors, SS brake lines, Datsport Mustache bar, Perrin 25mm Adjustable rear sway bar, poly bushings through out and redline LSD diff oil.
I also had the whole engine harness rebuilt and a data tap put in so I can see what codes the engine throws. Looked like a chimp did it before. (Edwin Bravo) Connected the alternator field circuit so my HIDS worked better,
Front wheel bearings repacked and adjusted, rear tranny seal replaced, Reverse switch sealed, Pitman arm urethane bushings, replaced fuel regulator, New Walbro 255 fuel pump, New Radiator over flow tank, Had 7 Auto meter gauges installed, heim joint inner bushing installed into control arm cross member due to front control arms binding.
Hood release installed, NOS tail light harness' (I am waiting to put the NOS euro rear lights on) and a few odds and ends.
She is a F'n sexy bitch now! She still has allot of stuff she needs but mostly cosmetic.

I will post pics soon.....

Last edited by SR20DETdatsun510; 07-19-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #57
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Ok, Here are a few pics as I promised. (I'll also publish this in a show off thread....)
I have more of the rear end but they are on my phone. So untill I can down load them or take some pics on a lift with my Dig Cam, these will have to suffice.
First off, this is what I took out:

The previous owner did some weird stuff to this rear end. Most weird is welding the Maxima Calipers straight to the control arm instead of using an upgrade bracket.
So this is what replaced it: Here is a pic of the Wolf Creek Racing CV kit:

(I will insert a pic of the new rear end installed here when I get the pics)
Other upgraded rear end components are an R200 w/NISMO LSD, Willwood brake kit, drilled rotors, all SS brake lines, QA1 Coilovers, Perrin 1" sway bar, Datsport Mustache bar, all poly-u bushings and optional 5 lug conversion.
I also had a bunch of other work done too.
Gauges Before:

After: Full set of Autometer Ultralite II full sweep gauges

At Night:

Still working on the console to mount the 4 gauges down below.

Here's some interior shots:

Ok, here are some wheels I have on it right now.
I got them for a great deal. Cheap. And they were all refinished too. The only thing I do not like about them is the intentional "fade" they tried to do but I will rock them till I have to have them refinished myself. (silver with Polished lips)
They are WedsSport RS-5's 17x7 +35 with Falken Azenis RT-615 205/40-17.
Also Ichiba 10mm spacers and Kics racing composite r26 Neo chro lug nuts (sweet) .

I also had my engine harness totally rebuilt and a data port installed to see what codes it is throwing. (next upgrade is APEXi engine management)
Had a radiator overflow intalled, Greddy Pullys, Braided fuel lines, Tomei cams and a several other front end things.
Ok, here are some more pics of the engine

It runs sooooo much better now and it will scream with engine management!!!
The next thing to do is get EM and get over to the dyno and post some numbers.
Maybe rack-n-pinion but the rest is all cosmetic.
To Be Continued........

Last edited by SR20DETdatsun510; 07-30-2009 at 01:15 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #58
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
please tell me you keep this car in a garage with like bank vault doors
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #59
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Really nice car. If it was mine i'd sleep in the garage with a 12 guage right next to me.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #60
SR20DETdatsun510
BANNED

Extra parts

I have a R160 LSD Subi diff for sale if anyone here knows any 510 guys that want one. $500 firm.
It is in excelent condition. Pick up only.
I am in Nor Cal Bay Area.
I will post this in FS section.....