Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #91
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Interesting. If the manifold already comes with over-sized inlets then I suppose all you need to do to take full advantage of it is use the VE gasket.
I will be using either the 3-layer P12 gasket or the 7-layer X-trail one, which are similar to the multi-layer S15 gasket.
I noticed that the difference between them is not necessarily the size of the exhaust ports, but rather that the ports on the VE head are spaced slightly further apart.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #92
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Interesting. If the manifold already comes with over-sized inlets then I suppose all you need to do to take full advantage of it is use the VE gasket.
I will be using either the 3-layer P12 gasket or the 7-layer X-trail one, which are similar to the multi-layer S15 gasket.
I noticed that the difference between them is not necessarily the size of the exhaust ports, but rather that the ports on the VE head are spaced slightly further apart.
As far as I am aware, port centerlines and spacing are identical to the DE and DET. The only thing that was changed was raising the ports in the head for the change in cooling passages and valve angle.

I believe I used the 7 layer exhaust manifold gasket, with which I checked intrusion into the ports and overall port ID to the head. All were well clear without massaging it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #93
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im using the gasket that mazworx sales ... its a sr20vet

for the manifold , i use a Docrace unit ... they now make one for the sr20ve application . i sent them a flange and they copied it . they now offer the manifold in there line-up !!!!

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #94
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Fitted the Autech header and it seems to match the VE gasket. Yay.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #95
Matej
Post Whore!

RWD motor mounts, upper and lower oil pan, on VE block

Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #96
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is pretty cool. Seems putting the fwd engine in is easy so far, i'm just wondering about the starter. So the trans bolted up just by swapping the upper pan?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #97
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
This is pretty cool. Seems putting the fwd engine in is easy so far, i'm just wondering about the starter. So the trans bolted up just by swapping the upper pan?
With the upper oil pan, all but the starter bolts and one or two transmission bolts on that side of the motor line up.
Both the FWD and RWD flywheel ring gears are the same size with the same amount of teeth, which makes things easier.

The VE starter has a nose cone, as do many of the FWD DE starters. They could still be used with a FWD flywheel mated to an 1988 Pulsar clutch. However, the FWD flywheel and clutch are only 215mm, so I am not sure how they would hold up for drifting. The bell housing would also need to be shaved to fit the nose of the starter.

However, some of the FWD motors came with this style of starter. It will clear even the RWD flywheel and does not require modding the transmission. I will bolt it directly to the dust shield instead of through the bell housing. It will be annoying to have to unbolt the transmission to remove the starter, but that will be the simplest way to mount it so far, unless I have the bell housing modded.

If people can mate Z32 and Z33 gearboxes to an SR, I can mate an RWD gearbox to a FWD motor.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #98
Goldhawg

Trader Rating: (0)
Goldhawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bump for updates?
Goldhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #99
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
any updates?
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #100
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
In for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #101
Matej
Post Whore!

This project is long sold, sorry gentlemen. I do still have the Autech header and a few other bits, if anybody wants anything.

In my opinion, it is still a better option to convert the entire engine to RWD instead of bothering with the extra headaches of swapping the head.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #102
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
This project is long sold, sorry gentlemen. I do still have the Autech header and a few other bits, if anybody wants anything.

In my opinion, it is still a better option to convert the entire engine to RWD instead of bothering with the extra headaches of swapping the head.
What did you have to do to bolt the motor mount brackets to the block? I keep coming back to this idea of an sr20de/ve with an s15 6sp for a fun daily.

Does the rwd flywheel bolt to the fwd crank?