Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
ckw
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ckw is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14s running G35 18"/19" wheel question

Question for those S14 owners running G35 18" or 19" wheels:
What size tires are you running so that there is no running in the front wheel well without removing the fender liner?

I ultimately want to run the 19", but, based on my calculations at the lowest profile tires I could easily find (225/35/19), it would still rub. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, for those running the 18" wheels, what size tires are you running so that there is no rubbing?

Thanks,
Jayson
ckw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Try the small questions thread.

I answered this on nwn, btw
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
I'm running 18" 350Z Anniversary rims with 225/40/18 in the front and I only rub on hard turns or bumps, but I'm also lowered to about a 1/4" gap between the fender liner and the tire. Anything larger than 18" wheels on an S-chassis is overkill if you ask me, just more weight and rotational inertia for the engine to spin.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Try this...
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/129865-whee...s-no-post.html

you might find it faster
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
It will fit, but what is the car's configuration?

I have been running different size throughout time. I am running typical 240 suspension setup - coilovers with all aftermarket arms beside lower control arms plus fenders rolled.

225/40/18 front and back

235/40/18 front only (current setup)
245/40/18 back only (current setup)
No pics yet...

First is to test fit the wheel. Stock backspacing is pretty limited on S14s (stock tires and rims come pretty close to the strut already). I have coilovers on the car and I have to use 10mm spacer to clear them in front. However, others say that different brand coilovers will yield different results. So, test fit yours.

I ran 225/40/18 with the tires sitting behind the fender. Too dangerous/uncomfortable for daily drive. Rose the car's height 2 times to get better cambers up front and put bigger tires on. I like meaty tires look and more rubber means increase in comfort. I will rise the car's height again when these tires run out and go 245/40/18 on all 4 corners so I can switch them front and back for longer tires life.

As stated, I have my fender rolled. The inner fenders were removed. I have moved the harness behind the driver side upward 3 times (along with rising the car 2 times) to ensure the harness does not get destroy by the tire.

Last thing to take note is that 225/40/18 will give you the closest mph reading. Right now I will be 5mph faster when I am driving at 60-65mph with the 245/40/18.

So, how low are you going to run your car? You want the wheels/tires tuck in?
chituntang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
yvang07
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
yvang07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^ thanks for the informative post man def made me think twice about this setup, I'm getting ready to put these wheels on, I've decided on 225/40/18 fronts and 255/35/18 rears, I've got Fortune Auto 500 coils along with CS RUCAs and Toe Rods. The car is only going to be DD'd during the summer, no competitive racing. I think it'll pull it off but I'll also put in the work needed to get it to fit.

To the OP: like chitun said 225/40/18 is the closest size you can get to oem wheel+tire size. If you wanted to go wider 255/35/18 will work also but as with bigger wheels you will want to check-in with clearance and make sure you're comfortable running such a setup.....

agreed with anything larger than 18 is overkill, some S14s can do it, MOST can't.

PS: Lurk moar!! lmao 2 post since 05, that's awesome.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
ckw
Leaky Injector

Lol, yes, I registered a long time ago, but I barely used this forum until recently.

Thanks for all the informative posts. I already made the mistake of running the G35 19"s with 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 and they definitely rub in the front. The rears are about 1-2mm away from touching, so fender rolling is a necessity.

I drive my car about 1-2 times a week and I have Silkroad coilovers, lowered to a height I cannot remember anymore.

I'm going to go with the 18"s and run 225/35/18 all around for now, since that's something I can find relatively easily for now. I realize that my speedometer will read faster than I am going, but it be fine for the once or twice I drive per week.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
yvang07
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
yvang07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckw View Post
Lol, yes, I registered a long time ago, but I barely used this forum until recently.

Thanks for all the informative posts. I already made the mistake of running the G35 19"s with 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 and they definitely rub in the front. The rears are about 1-2mm away from touching, so fender rolling is a necessity.

I drive my car about 1-2 times a week and I have Silkroad coilovers, lowered to a height I cannot remember anymore.

I'm going to go with the 18"s and run 225/35/18 all around for now, since that's something I can find relatively easily for now. I realize that my speedometer will read faster than I am going, but it be fine for the once or twice I drive per week.
Oh yeah once or twice a week shouldn't be a problem. Now on to the important part, PICS!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
ckw
Leaky Injector

Back in 2007 or so

Recently:

I'll post some in the Kouki thread once I get some more work done on it, like a lip, and some valances