Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
350z rear hub bolt pattern same as Schassis?

Hey, trying to finish up my 6pot/4pot BBK swap on my s14, and I'm looking at parking brake solutions. I can speculate the Z32 drum assembly + r33 cables will work fine, however, I came across a pair of complete rear assemblies for a 370z Nismo, and figured that wouldn't be a bad set up seeing as how I'd get a proper fitting rotor shield with it.

So my question is: does anyone know if the 350z/370z hub bolt pattern lines up on a s14 rear knuckle? I've searched, and the only thread I can find talks about incompatibility of other parts like the axles & dif. It would be a lot cheaper than the z32 setup, oddly enough.
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Reido

Trader Rating: (0)
Reido is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can always redrill the hub pattern but the main thing I?d be worried about is the big anchoring stud that bolts through the knuckle. I don?t know if the z33/34 setup has it or if it?s similar at all but that would be the deciding factor I think
Reido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Don't know where you could find the info, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that the z33 rear hub will use a larger bearing, and therefore not have the same bolt pattern on the hub to knuckle interface.

Maybe someone will chime in with that knowledge.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
You can always redrill the hub pattern but the main thing I?d be worried about is the big anchoring stud that bolts through the knuckle. I don?t know if the z33/34 setup has it or if it?s similar at all but that would be the deciding factor I think
That's a good point about the anchor for the brake, and actually thanks to that you made me take a better look at some pictures for the assemblies.

I'm going to make the assumption that the dust shields WILL work based on the bolt pattern, however the brake assembly WILL NOT. At least not without modifying the knuckles. I didn't realize until I looked back at a full rear knuckle/hub assembly, but the S14/Z32 brake assembly mounts with the big stud that goes through the top hole in the knuckle. The Z34 on the other hand mounts using two studs, one on each side of the big hole, then it runs the cable through that big hole. So I think if you were willing to drill out the two holes, then that assembly would work.

From what I understand, you can use 350z axles in a 240 hub, and since both cars have the same 5x114 bolt pattern and 66.1mm hub lip, and since Nissan is pretty notorious for having a rather high cross-compatibility/upcycled design pattern, I would say it's quite likely that the bolt pattern is the same.

The other question is if you can swap the z32 brake shoe assembly to the Z34 Nismo rotor shields? 🤔 lol Screw it, just cut the shields off the Z32 I guess?better cooling anyways.
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Reido

Reido is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
The other question is if you can swap the z32 brake shoe assembly to the Z34 Nismo rotor shields? 🤔 lol Screw it, just cut the shields off the Z32 I guess?better cooling anyways.
I think that will be your best bet, trim the lip off of the dust shield so you can clear the larger rotor. As long as the drum diameter and offset is the same that is
Reido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Z33 and Z34 rear hubs bolt up to S13 spindles.
Z33 will work with S13/14 axles and Z33 axles.
Z34 will need Z34 axles, or Z32TT axles.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #7
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
To make sure we get the right info out there:
I just bought Z34 axles and wheel bearing hubs from Z1 Motorsports, under their 350Z / G35 Rear Axle and Wheel Bearing Upgrade Kit.

The 4-bolt pattern on the hub-bearing assembly does not match S13 rear knuckles.

I'm going to try and salvage this by getting the knuckles re-drilled and re-enforced. The Z34 axles are beefier, as well as the hub bearing assembly.

To answer Silv1401 original question: 350Z/370Z rear hubs will not fit S13/S14 knuckles 4-bolt pattern.

20221105_152636 by Jaime Vargas, on Flickr

2022-11-05 15_46_40-7tbYumyhwh8kx_84FNSGXgNA7gq_wee_xUQgjjdiFltb7SQjCV gQIDetH0u9Oxegu3Ff5UH2TRaSa1aR by Jaime Vargas, on Flickr

2022-11-05 15_43_55-LBNfUtD-Bo5AA4V8Gl2Tgxbhb0zRD1O1JR3YPhRIg2lq3mhQ_rhow1-6tzx5kZOlZ_I3RhwPfsWwD7Kw by Jaime Vargas, on Flickr

2022-11-05 15_22_05-350Z-G35-Rear-Wheel-Bearing-Axle-Upgrade-Kit-370Z-G37-wm2.jpg (2500?1200) by Jaime Vargas, on Flickr

Last edited by DJDANGER24; 11-06-2022 at 05:58 PM..
DJDANGER24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
That's a good point about the anchor for the brake, and actually thanks to that you made me take a better look at some pictures for the assemblies.

I'm going to make the assumption that the dust shields WILL work based on the bolt pattern, however the brake assembly WILL NOT. At least not without modifying the knuckles. I didn't realize until I looked back at a full rear knuckle/hub assembly, but the S14/Z32 brake assembly mounts with the big stud that goes through the top hole in the knuckle.
No, the S14 does not use the hole in the knuckle or atleast the USDM chassis does not. The e-brake is integrated into the piston assembly.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Good info @DJDANGER24 Thanks for taking the chance and documenting the results, even if it ends up being "this idea doesn't work."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
No, the S14 does not use the hole in the knuckle or atleast the USDM chassis does not. The e-brake is integrated into the piston assembly.
That hole is used for the anchor bolt when upgrading to the Z32 e-brake drum assembly, which is what that whole discussion is about.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
That hole is used for the anchor bolt when upgrading to the Z32 e-brake drum assembly, which is what that whole discussion is about.
Correct, I have this on my car. I was only correcting the statement that the factory S14 brake assembly utilizes that hole. Only S14?s equipped with the 4/2pot calipers from the factory do, which you know was not an American option.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
All S14s around the world came with the 1-pots with integrated parking brake. 2-pot rears only came on Skylines and Zs. Drum handbrake with a 1-pot came on heavier cars (Cima/Laurel/Ced/Glo/etc, Laurel/Stagea, nonturbo Skylines) and the Euro S13 200SX.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
All S14s around the world came with the 1-pots with integrated parking brake. 2-pot rears only came on Skylines and Zs. Drum handbrake with a 1-pot came on heavier cars (Cima/Laurel/Ced/Glo/etc, Laurel/Stagea, nonturbo Skylines) and the Euro S13 200SX.
Perfect, makes the information that more erroneous.