Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
S142Fast

Trader Rating: (0)
S142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Restoring S14 Dash To OEM

What started as a project to restore my dash to OEM has now turned to a service that I am thinking of providing. I have always found the process of putting body filler on your dash and painting it as a very unsustainable way of repairing a dash. I reached out to a company to restore my dash and I got quoted 2500$ without shipping fees and a few months wait time. So I decided to try and restore it myself along with my brother that has 7+ years of experience in vinyl/ppf. I started by removing all OEM Vinyl because once the original vinyl is cracked it becomes so brittle that any pressure on it just breaks it and putting anything on top of that would just be dumb. I then re-foamed any imperfections it had, we then shot a industrial glue and wrapped it in 1 piece of high quality vinyl leather that is darker than the OEM black/charcoal dash color. This was our prototype dash we have now found better ways of improving the overall quality and will continue to improve. For anybody interested in this service I want to ask for feedback and price discussion for this type of service.

https://imgur.com/a/C3p8R5i
S142Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2023, 03:15 AM   #2
sylvias-s14

sylvias-s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
its looks very good
well done mate
sylvias-s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Great work! You are on to something. Sailrite has a lot of vinyl in different grain patterns and some of them appear to be nearly identical to the OEM s14 dash grain. I bought some from them a while back for a job on my 4runner.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #4
biasword

biasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the roughbiasword is a jewel in the rough
can we see before pics? ive repaired and flocked my dash, i think it came out pretty decent considering how bad it was
biasword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
S142Fast

S142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura aboutS142Fast has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys, I have attached another photo to the album unfortunately i didn't get the full damage but that crack was 1 of 3 big ones it had and the far edge near vin number being gone. I'm currently in the process of restoring the famous S14 Driver Door Panel with a large hole. I am also trying to source a cracked S13 Dash to do the same thing and applying all the new tactics we have learned.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #6
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

Trader Rating: (4)
S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very nice!

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
S13SilviaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S142Fast View Post
Thanks guys, I have attached another photo to the album unfortunately i didn't get the full damage but that crack was 1 of 3 big ones it had and the far edge near vin number being gone. I'm currently in the process of restoring the famous S14 Driver Door Panel with a large hole. I am also trying to source a cracked S13 Dash to do the same thing and applying all the new tactics we have learned.
Damn it I wish you weren't so far.... I would have totally taken advantage of this.... Maybe we get a group buy and fly you out to Norcal to get this done....

So awesome man! Great job!
Old 02-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I’d be curious to know the cost for this. I know Justdashes is $2600 without shipping…
Old 02-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #9
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I?d be curious to know the cost for this. I know Justdashes is $2600 without shipping?
they have a big ass object vacuum thing they just put the dash in, bout as close to oem as possible. I imagine the prep works is where the cost comes in plus paying for such a thing
Old 02-21-2023, 03:37 PM   #10
Tuckedin
Leaky Injector

Tuckedin is on a distinguished road
Not bad at all. S14 door panel restoration would be great as well. keep us posted please.
Tuckedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:59 PM   #11
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
That looks nice.
For those of us that are kinda far from you (I'm in Pa), can you do some kind of writeup?

For me to ship you my dash, I'm getting quotes over $600 to ship.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #12
S142Fast

I been a bit busy testing, finding and waiting on products to find what works for me to achieve the quality I want. I think I have found the best vinyl to redo a dash and door panel and I find it personally better than OEM. Sorry but there’s no way I can do a writeup as it is far to complicated to teach someone how to wrap something or work with some of this foam and vinyl. I took some pictures of the door panel that was midway wrapped but I had to unfortunately redo as it was not good enough, this was done with the new fabric. As you can see the door panel is so fragile it just shattered to pieces once I removed the vinyl this door panel only had holes, but the door panel is now reinforced and feels solid. I’m debating on reusing the same fabric from the OEM one in the center section but I still don’t know. If anybody knows where I can find some nice abstract patterns online let me know I’m limited to some fabric stores near me at the time.

https://imgur.com/a/EeVJweV
Old 03-13-2023, 09:03 AM   #13
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Wow! That is great work! What foam and vinyl did you use on that door panel?
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #14
S142Fast

I used Capriccio Black from Sailrite and the foam I can't remember as I have around 8 foams I am not sure where that foam was ordered from but its 1/4 inch thick.

Last edited by S142Fast; 03-13-2023 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-21-2023, 09:51 AM   #15
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by S142Fast View Post
What started as a project to restore my dash to OEM has now turned to a service that I am thinking of providing. I have always found the process of putting body filler on your dash and painting it as a very unsustainable way of repairing a dash. I reached out to a company to restore my dash and I got quoted 2500$ without shipping fees and a few months wait time. So I decided to try and restore it myself along with my brother that has 7+ years of experience in vinyl/ppf. I started by removing all OEM Vinyl because once the original vinyl is cracked it becomes so brittle that any pressure on it just breaks it and putting anything on top of that would just be dumb. I then re-foamed any imperfections it had, we then shot a industrial glue and wrapped it in 1 piece of high quality vinyl leather that is darker than the OEM black/charcoal dash color. This was our prototype dash we have now found better ways of improving the overall quality and will continue to improve. For anybody interested in this service I want to ask for feedback and price discussion for this type of service.

https://imgur.com/a/C3p8R5i

Great work! Nice to see folks are still working on keeping these vehicles looking fresh!
Old 05-31-2023, 10:58 PM   #16
schassis240

schassis240 is a well-known jackass
dashes always get sunburnt so good your doing this
schassis240 is offline   Reply With Quote